It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real reason why UFO researchers cant force disclosure

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by oinkment

I think that says it all really on those two!

[edit on 17-11-2008 by oinkment]

Well none of that says 'fraud' to me. The only thing of note there is Corso's book being labelled a hoax by the Guardian. Here it is from the horses mouth...

8. The Day After Roswell ... or how the legendary flying-saucer crash outside Roswell, New Mexico in 1947 helped America win the cold war. Retired colonel Philip Corso had, he claimed in these colourful 1997 memoirs, worked on alien technology recovered from the crash, and managed to obtain a glowing blurb for the book from a US senator. The senator later claimed that he'd been deceived by Corso - his testimonial had been written for a different book altogether - and his plug was removed from later editions.

www.guardian.co.uk...

The only area of contention is the fact that Strom Thurmond didn't know what the book was about when he wrote his foreword! That's hardly grounds for dismissing the entire book. The senator obviously thought enough of Corso to write the forewood, book unseen.

On December 26, 1985, Strieber reportedly had an experience in which he believed he was abducted from his cabin in upstate New York by non-human beings of some kind. He wrote about these experiences in his first non-fiction book, Communion (1987). (my emphasis)

Wikipedia doesn't deny that Strieber believed these events happened, so how could it be fraud. Fraud suggests a wilful deception does it not?

He refers to the beings as "the visitors," a name chosen to be as neutral as possible, and leaves open the possibility that they are not extraterrestrials
and even that they exist only in his mind.

The fact that he leaves the question of what the visitors are open again suggests to me he is genuine in trying to understand what has happened to him. Wouldn't a fraudster take one line and stick to it and not try and look for alternative explanations?

Also, I think the wikipedia entry has somewhat twisted the facts here. I saw an early interview he did with Larry King in which he admitted he first feared he was losing his mind and as a result subjected himself to all manner of medical tests and opinions. I'm assuming that's what the article is referring to however, it makes it sound like this is a later opinion and that recently he has almost admitted to it being all in the mind. I don't believe this is true at all. Unfortunately the article doesn't give any references for this information so it's just more rumour and innuendo, like the OP's statement.

BTW don't always take wikipedia as gospel - there are contributors on there that have their own predujices and agendas.

EDIT: I just found the Brad Sparks article on Corso. It does seem pretty damning. I do note that Corso had a 'co-author' so I think one can legitimately ask how much an eighty year old much actually contributed to it. I do find it odd that someone like Corso would choose to essentially shred his reputation after such a long and distinguished career. Fraud is definitely a strong possibility but perhaps not the only one.

[edit on 17/11/2008 by MarrsAttax]

[edit on 17/11/2008 by MarrsAttax]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat

And there we are, we don't believe -anything- of a paranormal nature unless it lands in our laps. Then we know the truth but we are then an island standing with a few others on the sandy beach of truth island. We know -something- is going on but we are presented with the cost of truth, do we share what we know even though it will bring laughter or ridicule? or do we stay quiet and live life in the fog of our spoon fed reality?

that descirbes it exactly.

what sceptic's or none believers fail to understand is a portion of society have already had disclosure of some sort, and not through choice, and some were full blown sceptic's prior to it, and that is why many(in numbers, not ratio) believe and post on subjects such as this.

from reading other comments in here, some people seem to think believers are gullible and will believe anything, because they just love the alien 'idea'. some do and i'd consider them gullible if they have never seen anything, but many don't. many believe in the 'alien' possibility because of what they witnessed.

believers cannot make people take it seriously, as the quoted post said, untill it falls on their lap.

real sightings are rare in comparsion to population, thats why there is no disclosure. seeing is believing, the vast majority doubt the few due to not seeing. the few believe because they have seen and know there IS something.

however sightings seem to be getting more common, so who knows what will happen in the future. but disclosure might not be a 'alien' reality, but something else. unless of course you've seen a alien, then you know, but i have not, so i don't.

disclousre will not happen untill the majority have witnessed something enough to call for disclosure of whats already known to goverments. but even then would people accept the answers if they are different to what they expected?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
the more you find out about corso and strieber the more it seeems like a elaborate form of fiction in order to sell books.

I know what you mean about Wikipedia but its still more trustworthy than press in my opinion. I did know about these two writers from other sources though - i have even read communion!

[edit on 18-11-2008 by oinkment]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by oinkment

Ok Corso is definitely in my 'iffy' pile. But Strieber was already a successful writer before his 'contact'. Also announcing to the world that you've been abducted by aliens has some pretty negative effects. He basically opened himself and his family up to wholesale ridicule because of it. His son was laughed at school and he himself will always be associated with rectal probes! There are easier ways to sell books.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NavalFC

great thread NavalFC

i agree that disclosure can not be forced. if there was only real scientific ufo researchers ...you still could not force disclosure.

also, people that think writing letters to Obama and Podesta are going to help initiate disclosure are delusional and not in touch with reality.

the goverment will never admit they were keeping secrets.

the only way a form of disclosure will happen is if the Aliens(if they are here) decide to reveal themselves. period.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by easynow]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavalFC
It is absurd! that link which portends to be a FEMA guide for fire fighters on UFOs, raises the BS alarm in so many ways:

1. There is no picture, no nothing of the original in book form. Just a text page and were spposed to believe its from a FEMA hand book
2. The first half of this has nothing to do woth firefighting. Its debate as to whether UFOs are real or not (...)

This reeks of BS, but to be sure Im going to do something prevenge never even dreamed of doing: Writing to FEMA and asking if this really is a FEMA publication! and searching the net for clues as to this authetnicity!

I'm sorry I took so long to reply to this thread, I had forgotten all about it.

When I asked you if you had read it, it wasn't the website that talked about the book.

But anyway, don't need to write to FEMA NavalFC, I have the proof you want:

Fire Officer's Guide to Disaster Control, Second Edition (Paperback) on Amazon.

The Editorial Review states:

This book will help you respond to disasters with the necessary operational procedures to save lives and property. The first moments of any incident can set the tone for the entire operation. Includes information on training, planning and procedures, communication, handling casualties, infrastructure assessment, recovery operations, and stress debriefing. Contents: Disaster planning Historical lessons Organizationa structure and incident command Resource management and augmentation Training and preperation Communications and information management Catastrophic fires Civil disorders and riots Weather-related natural disasters Terrain-based natural disasters Transportation disasters Hazardous materials incidents Enemy attack and UFO potential Mass casualties and mass evacuation Aftermath and recovery Glossary Appendices.

As you can see from customer reviews, they all talk highly about the book's quality and they all invariably comment on the UFO Chapter.

This book is renowned as THE collector's item of the 20th Century. It's reputation precedes it due to the fact that when the authors' decided to publish an updated second edition, they felt it extremely necessary to include the now infamous Chapter 13, titled as "Enemy Attack And The UFO Potential."

I hope this will satisfy you as to proving it is a real book

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join