It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caught on film by TV crew: The 1978 Kaikoura UFO sightings

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
My father has a book on this very topic and if i remember rightlight i think Captain Starup wrote it, though i might be wrong about that. looks of eyewitness accounts together with colour pictures of the UFO's themselves. In my opinion this case remains one of the best cases for saying somehting happened that Christmas that was not of this world....

Is it perhaps this book?

The Kaikoura UFOs. ISBN 0-340-25689-3. Startup, Bill; Illingworth, Neill; 1980; Hodder and Stoughton; Auckland, London, Sydney; Paperback;

en.wikipedia.org...

It would be great if you could take a look at it and share it with us if you find something interesting!

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Great post(s), ziggystar60!

This is the kind of posts I like, with well documented data, even if it's not enough data to reach a conclusion.

As I have said some times before, these cases that look like we are still awaiting some more information are the ones I think are the most important, not because of what they show (usually nothing new(, but because of what they may show some time latter when we have more data from other sightings.

The fact that they remain unexplained makes me think that these are the ones that are real, when the believers and the sceptics can not find anything to "throw in the face" of the opposite faction it shows that it may be a case where the data was not "massaged" by any source, meaning that this may be the closest to real data (even if just a little) that we can get.

Keep on looking (as we all should do), maybe some day we may find the case that makes all the other cases understandable.

PS: 1978 was a year with many cases in Portugal, if I remember it well, and it was the year (or maybe it was 1977, I do not have a real reference) that my grandmother saw a cigar-shaped UFO.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thanks, ArMaP!

So your grandmother saw a sigarshaped UFO? I guess that makes you kind of a closet believer! Someday I will find that case that convinces you completely. Some day, my friend...

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Watching the 1978 footage reminds me of how far we've come. Today,
a kid could film night-time UFO's with better clarity than that professional
T.V. crew did with over 100 pounds of equipment.

I wonder why we never get clear UFO videos from aircraft-based
witnesses during the daytime? A DAYTIME video shot by a modern
Hi-Definition TV crew would probably convince everyone on the planet
that we're not alone. It's too bad that the aliens keep staying one step
ahead of being detected by man as our technology evolves.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

No, it makes me want even more to know what these things are.

And I also work with a guy that saw once a UFO, also here in Almada, but I think it was maybe two years latter, around 1980.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

You must remember that what we are seeing here is a much converted version.

I have some Super 8 movies and the quality is better than most YouTube videos, too bad I do not have a working projector.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
TextTextText GreenI also saw a UFO in Glasgow, it was in a well know hotspot north of the city, it was similar to the flying white orbs however even though I was in a car with 3 others it was made a joke of as we all knew what that if we told others what we saw we would be labled insane. It just goes to show how many other sightings have been forgotten about and never discussed or reported due to public perceptions or peer pressure.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
There's tons of UFO evidence and sightings it's pretty much a moot subject. Now if they have a nice interview on film it would be good to see.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Is it me or are people at ATS getting better at making threads?
Great post OP! The siting is not new to me but you sure did clear a lot up!
STAR+FLAG.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
Oh i remember this happening!!!! This case really did spark my interest in UFO's. I was 9 years old at the time when it was reported as a major story on BBC News, And i knew it was not a joke as the newsreaders were looking somewhat worried. All i thought of at the time was now maybe they will land! I kept hoping they would, but of course they never did and the story was soon forgotten. My father has a book on this very topic and if i remember rightlight i think Captain Starup wrote it, though i might be wrong about that. looks of eyewitness accounts together with colour pictures of the UFO's themselves. In my opinion this case remains one of the best cases for saying somehting happened that Christmas that was not of this world....

I too remember this story on the BBC at the time, I was 17 and it made the hairs on my neck stand up at the time until I saw just a dancing light and then I ignored it.

Being 17 I was more interested by other things

Was great seeing it again but now taking time to look at the whole story more closely.

Thanks Ziggy...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I wonder why we never get clear UFO videos from aircraft-based witnesses during the daytime? A DAYTIME video shot by a modern Hi-Definition TV crew would probably convince everyone on the planet that we're not alone. It's too bad that the aliens keep staying one step ahead of being detected by man as our technology evolves.

No, I don't think it would convince anyone. Even if you recorded daytime hi-def footage of a UFO along with the support of credible witnesses, people would still say that it's unidentifiable or a hoax.

When the truth of the matter is, you probably have the clearest footage of an extraterrestrial spacecraft ever recorded.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Interesting video. It reminds me of the u.f.o seen in Texas not to long ago.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I have analysed this case for 28 years. There is no doubt that the New Zealand light mystery, of Dec 1978, is intelligebly connected to the Valentich mystery in Australia (just 2 months earlier.) It is NOT random phenomena! I have excellent unpublished information. I knew the Valentich family well (and they told me a lot about their background, and also described a second light which they saw not long before Frederick vanished!

Just one example of this new information - there are several keys to begin understanding it (and most significant is the European city where the Valentich family originally came from.....and the amazing NEW ZEALAND connection with this city! It all unfolds logically from this.

* I am seeking any well known author who wants to collaborate for a book.

As a bonus, I also now have the Solution to another well know light mystery. This is a famous case based on unusual light phenomena, but which is firmly entrenched in a Religious Tradition. It all unfolded at a village called Medjugore from June, 1981 - over 26 million people have visited this small village in the fomer Yugoslavia. It took me 25 years to unravel this information - all the phenomena repored there is not random, but fits a precise pre-existing pattern! Several Church based Commisions of Inquiry could not find what I can now definitely prove! It is truly remarkable (and easy to understand.)

There is guaranteed huge global sales.

The proposed Book would be in 2 Sections - Part 1 would present the Solution to the famed Medjugorje light Mystery, and Part 2 would present new information on the above highest profile UFO cases.

* So are you a well known author? Then please email:
Neil Harrington [email protected] (Australia)

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I have two cases that will convince you! I have information that these two highest profile UFO cases are not isolated events, but definitely connected.
One is the vanishing of Frederick Valentich in 1978. The other occurred two months later in New Zealand (and videotaped.)
It took me over 28 years to uncover this.
Contact Neil Harrington: [email protected]
Australia

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Bumping this EXCELLENTLY presented and researched case. This was a great case by itself, but the effort ziggystar60 put into this thread really made it so much better.
It is threads like these that make the UFO forum on ATS look legit. I want to personally thank ziggystar60 for presenting us with such a great case. LOL, I know I am a little late to the party, but I am here, none-the-less.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
Bumping this EXCELLENTLY presented and researched case. This was a great case by itself, but the effort ziggystar60 put into this thread really made it so much better.
It is threads like these that make the UFO forum on ATS look legit. I want to personally thank ziggystar60 for presenting us with such a great case. LOL, I know I am a little late to the party, but I am here, none-the-less.

Great idea jkrog08

I will re-read this thread regarding this fascinating case.

ziggystar60.....

A very belated S & F for you

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad

I have often thaught that these vehicles (if that is what the are), must be un-manned, possiblt probes. They obviousely arenn't ours.

But some of those manouvers are pretty radical, even for UFO's. Anyone inside (human or otherwise), those things would be Mush after some of those manouvers..lol

I think what may have been witnessed that night was an un-manned (un-Aliened), group of probes (possibly scouting a base location?).

This one in particular has an Un-manned feel to it, dunno why I think that, but it just looks very compact and almost like a deep sea probe that we use today.

This could also account for the flicking around, being hand controled from elsewhere, might account for the jerking manouvers & quick movements.

LOL an unmanned probe? Really? That's the sort of explanation I would expect out of someone that refuses to believe ETs are visiting...... what would a probe be doing surveying New Zealand? Looking for some nice grazing land to raise some sheep?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Ziggystar60 - great thread and a realy intriguing UFO incident.

Heres a video of the TV presenter on board the plane - by his comments and the tone of his voice he sounds pretty spooked and doesn't realy want to be there.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
just came across Kaikoura 1978 UFO and hadn't heard of it before - after an ATS search, figured I'd bump this old thread.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join