It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The internet as a research tool.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Hey, I just wanted to know what you think of my take on the internet and how it's been misused over time and how I think it should be used.

I think the internet should be used as a research tool. I believe it should be used as a research tool and a tool for communication which is what it was originally designed for.

I would like for it to be much more scholarly like. So we could all talk to professionals in the fields. That would be like a dream come true.

I like the way the internet has become, but, I think it could be better.

What do you think?

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The internet has a life of its own. There is nothing it should be used for. Its use and future are determined by those who use it. It is a tool but a tool that has, for all intents and purposes, an unlimited number of uses. Research, titillation, entertainment, finance, commerce, creativity, social interaction, deception, and deceit. It's a Swiss army knife that gets continually upgraded.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The future of the Internet is grand and if things evolve naturally we will become the Internet one day.

Everything we do will happen in this medium called the Internet, it will become the most complex construction ever created by humans, the quantity of information will be huge and growing.

It will stop being a tool for reasearch but a way of life.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I have to write papers for all of my anthro classes on a fairly prolific basis and the internet is good and bad in terms of being a research tool. It's excellent for fact finding, as in; you need to know who did what on a specific date and basics of why.

It's not so great when you need reliable, first hand sources, as in; detailed historical accounts of people or events. I take comparative historical theology and the internet is terrible for that because all the information comes from old books and you want those first hand writings, not articles describing them to you.

Microsoft has been trying to change this by scanning huge libraries of books and so has Google but much of it requires a fee or is incomplete. If services like this evolve and you have to assume they will, I think the internet has lots of potential to grow in this area.

top topics

join