It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would Obama's response to this be ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Hey all,

I just read on BBC about Russia moving missiles to the Baltic to neutralize the American anti-missile shield. I'm more than curious as to what Obama's reaction would be. Thoughts anyone?

'Conceited' US policy

In his first state-of-the nation address, Mr Medvedev said Moscow would deploy the Iskander missile system in the Kaliningrad region - between Nato members Lithuania and Poland - to "neutralise - if necessary - the [US] anti-missile system".

"Naturally, we also consider using for the same purpose the resources of Russia's navy," he said.

Mr Medvedev also said Russia would jam the US anti-missile system electronically.

Mr Medvedev's announcement is extremely provocative, but the Kremlin's clear message is that America is to blame, the BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes in Moscow says.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

edit: grammer

[edit on 5-11-2008 by AnubisOfTheEastandWest]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
IF obama is the kinda guy he's been talking about,eventually,he will remove the missile shield .

[edit on 5-11-2008 by all2human]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Well, first ask yourself a different question if you can. If you were in Russia's shoes what would YOU do? Let the U.S. place weaponry on your borders that seeks to thwart what you see as your country's balance of power? Or respond in a way that balances the U.S. move? What did the U.S. do when Russia tried to place missles in Cuba? There was no such thing as effective 'defensive' missiles back then so the tactic was to emplace lots so no air attack could get them all. What would you do if you were Russia?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
To answer your question, probably the same thing Medvedev did. I am interested in Obama's reaction however.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AnubisOfTheEastandWest

He'll fold. He'll remove the missile shield shortly after becoming president. The real question, I think, is whether or not the Russians will continue to push back against him on other issues, notably NATO expansion, and whether Obama would back down on these as well. I think they will and I believe that he would.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by vor78]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by AnubisOfTheEastandWest

He'll fold. He'll remove the missile shield shortly after becoming president. The real question, I think, is whether or not the Russians will continue to push back against him on other issues, notably NATO expansion, and whether Obama would back down on these as well. I think they will and I believe that he would.

Of course he will fold, but first will come the "talks without preconditions". Russia will rattle the sabre and Obama will dismantle the shield. Then the other nations will see how easy America has become to manipulate. So much for national defense.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Fold? Are you presuming the the idea of a 'defensive missile shield' is a good idea? Back in the Cold War we had the 'Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty'. Know why? Because even back then military strategists on both sides knew that anything one side did to blunt the other's offensive power would cause that country to build more offensive firepower in order to to overpower the anti-ballistic missile system. It would result in an upwards spiraling arms race that would create MORE nuclear weapons and a significantly LESS safe world.

But hell, the military-industrial-complex and their friends in the Whitehouse could care less about that. The only thing better than a war for business is an arms race. With the current administration they hit the trifecta!

So, just like the LAST arms race in the LAST Cold War, we put our missiles on their border and they move their missiles to counter and move their military into South and Central America. Clearly, these asshats learned nothing from Vietnam and nothing from the last Cold War, which BTW, largely bankrupted the USSR. Maybe Russia actually DID learn something and are using our own playbook against us.

Fold. What a stupid, stupid comment.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Exactly. The point is to avoid conveying weakness to an enemy. If the Russians believe that they can bully Obama, they will do so repeatedly in attempts to force him to concede not just on the missile shield, but on other US foreign policy objectives as well. Nor will they be the only ones who will attempt to take advantage of perceived weakness in the White House.

If he's going to back out of that agreement, and I think he will, he needs to find a way to avoid the perception that the Russians pressured him into doing it. I have a feeling that the Russians aren't going to make that easy, either.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
President Elect Obama, is a pawn in the game with no rules, that is being played by TPTB, and will do as he is told to do, which will probably be whatever will create the most fear, that will have the world screaming for an escalation of nuclear armament worldwide..... It's all about power, control and money, and there isn't much we can do but make an attempt to let them know that we know what they are up to..... It might not change anything, but at least they will know that not all of us aren't damned fools.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Here is the latest news on this development.

US President-elect Barack Obama has not given a commitment to go ahead with plans to build part of a US missile defence system in Poland, an aide says.

He was speaking after Polish President Lech Kaczynski's office said a pledge had been made during a phone conversation between the two men.

But Mr Obama's foreign policy adviser, Denis McDonough, denied this.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
When it came to the Georgia issue I thought McCain was being too “hard” and Obama was being too “soft”, they both needed to gravitate toward the middle. (I know I sound like a version of Goldilocks but that’s the only way I can think to describe their actions.
) McCain was stressing that invading a country in our century is wrong when we did so with the support of flawed intelligence, and Obama was actually pretty neutral about the whole thing if you ask me. So I to will be very curious to see his reaction in the coming months and years to Russia’s actions.

[edit on 8-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I think many leaders of the world will test the waters with Obama. There may be no intention of starting anything, only chess matches.

I don't think that this is any different than any other new president though. I am sure they all get tested one way or another. But this foreign policy stuff is why he chose Biden, isn't it his specialty?

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'll bet each and everyone one of you, that says Obama will back down, $1,000. And when he doesn't you better pay up.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I think (and hope) he'll call Colin Powell for advice. Surprised the Russians aren't waiting till after Obama is sworn in to start issuing threats and challenges. Antagonizing Dubya on his way out of power might provoke him into some kind of grand farewell gesture; to me it would seem more prudent to wait.

[edit on 8-11-2008 by Resinveins]

top topics

join