It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I would have been more likely to vote McCain had he ran the election like his concession speech.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   

During the election, I couldn't believe how much he had changed. I remember when he was doing interviews before he won the nomination and how he really was running the "straight talk express". He would field any questions, he had a sense of humor and a genuine personality. After he was nominated though, everything changed. His speeches changed, his responses became more scripted, and straight talk seemed to go right out the window.

I was glad to see him give such an excellent speech. It was just a shame that he waited so long to return to normal. I think it would have been a different election if he had ran his entire campaign this way.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
all i can say is...

that was a great speech, plenty of class

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
While I was not about to vote for McCain period... especially after he chose that bimbo Palin... I too wish he had run a campaign in the manner that he gave his concession speech... it really was a class act.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
yeah that was a really great speech

i honestly don't see how anyone could stand the pressure of running for the presidency in this day and age. personally, i cannot comprehend having the ability to withstand the constant barrage of media attention and constant questioning of every facet of my character and my beliefs. i guess i'm a bit too shy for all that attention

i think maybe he got nervous during the campaign. i would have as well so i can definitely understand

hopefully after hearing his wonderful speech, some of his supporters that got pulled too far into media hype and are now scared will realize that 4 years goes by pretty fast. i never was all that fond of Bush but 8 years flew right by for me. by the way, i'm rarely big on any candidate, as i realize that ultimately it is the people who determine the fate of our nation.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It was a great speech.

Its a pity that some of those who would choose to have followed him, don't seem to want to hear what he had to say, and instead choose to continue the partisan rhetoric, and insipid rumour mongering that tainted the campaign all the way through.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Karlhungis: Very well spotted. I noticed the change too.

I think he lost because he was no longer being himself but had succumbed to what he thought was expected of him during the election.

There was a slim chance he might have had my vote if he would have stayed himself.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I think it would have been a different election if he had ran his entire campaign this way.

I agree completely, Karl. That speech was a class act. That was the John McCain that I remember and for which I have a great deal of fondness. He came out from under the pressure of the campaign and it's wonderful to see that he's still there.

Very nice, Mr. McCain!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I don't think he had a chance regardless. Obama had more cash, better media coverage and Bush/economy was a drag on his ticket.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
McCain is a fantastic orator when he is at his best. I remember his speech on combating terrorism during the Conservatives' 2006 conference. I was blown away by his quiet eloquence.

Its a real shame that he:

a. Became embattled and started losing his composure, making wierd faces etc

b. Chose a neo-con as his running mate. I originally liked Palin, but it soon emerged that her knowledge and background are incredibly sub-prime.

c. Sidelined Liberman. Lieberman could have been his biggest asset to swing moderate democrats.

Anyway, the man has lost. Lets allow him to fade gracefully from the pages of political history.

Its time for the Republicans to either rebuild or capitulate. I just hope that the republicans move closer to a libertarian standpoint rather than further into the idiotic neo-con core that has so sullied the name of the GOP this last decade.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
He clearly made the mistake of listening to GOP handlers instead of his own instincts.

He is a great leader, and that was a wonderful speech. It's too bad the GOP does not have his integrity.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I remember feeling a similar way when I heard Hilary speak at the DNC; you could tell the speech came from her not her campaign. The same goes for McCain here. His campaign really made him look ugly but in this speech and at some brief moments throughout you could see a glimmer of the real Maverick.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Let's face it. McCain could have ran the perfect campaign and still would have lost.

Bush weighed him down a lot.

And to put icing on the cake, Bush threw him under the bus when Bush asked for the 700 billion dollar bailout. This is when everything totally went south for McCain.

Kinda makes me think that Bush pulled a Clinton. Just like Clinton dissed Obama throughout the campaign, Bush got his revenge on the Republicans for avoiding him like the plague throughout this election.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Sen McCain with his concession speech showed a class and compassion that the GOP should have adopted during the campaign. Now as Pres. Bush said during the last election.. "took a thumpin"

Instead they listened to the hate mongers like Sean, Rush, Savage and the
rest of the AM yahoos and LOST; not just the highest office in the land but
the house and senate too.

Perhaps now the GOP will campaign on the issues instead of using hate and divisiveness to try and scare people into voting for Republicans.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

McCain's biggest mistake, IMO, was to run a campaign that copied John Kerry's playbook from '04. He ran a campaign based too much upon opposing the other guy, instead of touting his own qualifications. That rarely works.

Still, I'm more encouraged this morning than last night. Turnout was unexpectedly low and Obama's share of it not particularly high, so there appears to be no fundamental shift in the electorate. The fact that McCain kept it reasonably close in the popular vote despite the worst political environment for a Republican candidate since at least the 70s is a good sign as well.

Oh well. Hopefully the GOP will kick out the RINOs and the neocons and return to being the party of Reagan. Until then, good win by the Dems but its now time for the excuses to end for this Congress. The honeymoon will be short and people will expect results soon.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
McCain lost because he played WAAAYYY to much to the base of the party. He gave a great speach, but he made way to many mistakes. One thing that pissed me off was all the people booing when he mentioned Obama. I don't remember people boo-ing Bush in Kerry's speach. I don't remember that at all since 1992.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Let's face it. McCain could have ran the perfect campaign and still would have lost.
Bush weighed him down a lot.

Considering the mood of the Country and the economy, it's a wonder that McCain didn't do worse than he did. You would have thought that it would have been a Reagan like landslide for Obama given the conditions. He was probably the best shot the Republicans had this year.

Let's hope America made the right choice on our new President. Time to close ranks and get things done for the Country.

Definitely back to the drawing board for the Republican Party, it needs to find it's way, too scattered now.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
In my opinion, the classiest concession speech of all time. Starred.

Yes, he could've won more votes with that attitude.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It made me tear when I heard the speech. I actually felt bad for him. He did indeed handle it with class.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I do have to commend mccain for giving a very graceful speech and recognizing that america was ready for something different.

He seemed very genuine and I could appreciate that.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I thought that his concession speech was one of his best.

He seemed more relaxed and in control of himself.

It was a great speech calling for national unity.

He definitely went out on a high note.

<<   2 >>

join