Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

I would have been more likely to vote McCain had he ran the election like his concession speech.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly.

The one thing that caused me to dislike both the Hillary and McCain Campaigns was thaty they fell prey to believing the old political tactics their handlers pushed on them.

My vote for Obama was a vote for the new politics. Not the politics of fear and anger, but the politics of desire and hope.

I know that both McCain and Clinton could have ran better campaigns if they would have only trusted their instincts. And I wish both of them, only the best. However I really hope that campaigners take note to what worked and what has now become passe.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
now THAT was the mccain I knew from back in 2000. That is how a american hero is suppose to act.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This has been the consensus of just about everybody I have talked to... not just here but in person... That McCain, the McCain of the concession speech could have won if he had conducted his campaign that way.

And while I would not have voted for him because I disagree with Republican policies... I could have easily respected him if he had. if the McCain of the campaign had won I would have had almost as little regard for him as I do for bush minor.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

i would say the same for Kerry 4 years ago. His concession speech is the only time i have seen him act human.

Of course, i vote libertarian. I abhor the two party system, and it is the only way i can protest.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I guess that we can all agree on our feelings about the picture of McCain, that he allowed us to see as he conceded. As it has already been said,"A Class Act" that I wish he had displayed throughout the campaign.... It could have turned out that it would have been a different outcome if so, but it went the way that it was planned to, by those that pull the strings..... It always does.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I did think it was better but it's not like he had a hand in writing it. The McCain campaign probably brought in a whole team of writers to create both an acceptance and concession speech. It's to be assumed expectations would be high considering the historic nature of his opponent, critics would've eaten him alive if he screwed it up.

Still, his presentation leaves much to be desired; he's awkward and lacks confidence in his speaking like Bush.

I can't understand how nearly half of America was willing to go for the red team and hesitates even now to accept Obama... I'm Canadian, please, if you don't like Obama, we'll take him... seriously it's no problem guys, we'll handle it.
You can have McCain and hell, even take Harper! I'm sure the both of them would love to spend time in eachothers monotoned, emotionless, stammering, awkward company. Together they can debate the finer points of the Bush doctrine and patriot act.

Obama will be a great leader, consider yourselves lucky; the world is envious.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
That was a wonderful speech and I wish he ran a campaign that reflects the type of person he is or showed last night. With that said, I would still not vote for him.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

It was a great speech.

Its a pity that some of those who would choose to have followed him, don't seem to want to hear what he had to say, and instead choose to continue the partisan rhetoric, and insipid rumour mongering that tainted the campaign all the way through.

You pretty much said it for me. You hear the 'Right, I agree, it was a great speech but I could never support him because of that bimbo Palin'. It's that kind of BS that will ultimately destroy this country. Not Obama and not the republicans or democrats. It will be the idiocy and hatred that is inspired by these two parties against members of the opposite one.

Palin was NOT a bimbo and was and is not a bad person.

Let's get out of campaign mode now and stop slandering these people and trying to discredit them. Let's get into America mode (for us Americans) and 'future' mode for our sake and that of this world.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I'm not sure how much his straight talk humor would have helped him, "bomb bomb Iran" comes to mind.

Kerry had the same deal. In 2004 he was really rigid and showed no emotion and at his concession speech he got teary eyed and said something some nice things. If he would have been that way all the way through he would have appealed more to people.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I guess I'm out on a limb to say the speech was nothing but an extra serve of guff. This guy's off the hook of delivering America to the wolves. A true patriot would have spelt out the real dangers facing the republic, take a peek at any given speech by Ron Paul if you want real substance and not barren rhetoric. McCain: gutless wonder and loser

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I've said it once and I'll say it again. What do you expect the man to say? He has a career in the Senate to look forward to and he doesn't need to be making any career limiting statements right now.

A speech like this is to be expected, but to the OP, seriously, I doubt it would have changed your vote.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I've decided I am going to blame it on the campaign staff. If that speech was "from his true self", then the rest was crap designed by the backstabbing bunch behind the scenes. I think he had a hard time speaking well, because it wasn't his words. I think they held Sarah Palin back too, or at least tried. Blaming her for the loss is ridiculous, and I am sure she knows Africa is a continent. Even if she wasn't "ready", she does have "natural" talent for politics. I don't think I will ever forgive the media nor the staff for how they are treating her now. Perhaps the Republicans she threatened to reform are getting even. Maybe she made some enemies with the party back in Alaska. Maybe they are trying to ensure she doesn't come back to DC. I didn't vote for McCain because of Sarah Palin, but because Obama is opaque. I think McCain is Democrat at heart anyway.
I was a little disturbed by the adoration of the crowd in Chicago. It seemed a little over the edge, but I can understand the joy of seeing a black man win the Presidency. I understand how far we have come. He is an inspirational speaker, but let's hope there is substance behind those words.

The Republicans need a wake up call. It's not working, even for the far right. (god help them)

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
You didn't see the real McCain because the liberal media didn't want you to. They loved Obama, they hated McCain. You got to see the real McCain in his concession speech because the media didn't have anything to lose, they already had their man is office.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Me too I liked the guy after this speech.
A true hero!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

You really can't say that... CNN for example showed many full campaign speeches from both camps and he never spoke like he did at his concession... nor did he speak that well during the debates. And when you add the fact that 100% of his campaign ads were negative.... well he did it to himself, not the media.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
He clearly made the mistake of listening to GOP handlers instead of his own instincts.

He is a great leader, and that was a wonderful speech. It's too bad the GOP does not have his integrity.

My issue was not that McCain was some horrible person, but rather that he clearly succumbed to repugnant tactics of his campaign advisors.

He was/is a better man than the campaign he ran. My chief concern was that if he would acquiesce to these vile tacticians during the campaign it spoke volumes as to what he would acquiesce to once in office and all of the power mongers leaned upon him.

A decent man at heart, but with little backbone...the same case he pleaded when he got "caught up" in the Keating five scandal.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join