It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Face transplant woman struggles with identity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Face transplant woman struggles with identity

www.telegraph.co.uk

The Frenchwoman who underwent the world's first face transplant has said she is still struggling to come to terms with her looks.
Isabelle Dinoire admitted that three years on from the medical breakthrough, she remained uncertain as to whose face she looked at in the mirror every day.

Referring to the dead donor, Miss Dinoire, a 41-year-old divorced mother of two from northern France, said: "It's not hers, it's not mine, it's somebody else's.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I found this story to be fascinating as well as repulsive at the same time.

Apparently her dog ripped her face off during her sleep!
Wow don't hear of troubles like this routinely!

I imagined what it must be like to look at someone else in the mirror each morning and not recognize myself.

Many body parts are transplanted routinely yet the face takes on a unique characteristic. An emotional fingerprint if you will.

Like a finger print the face is a window onto the soul.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
That is very interesting. I never really considered the ramifications of a face transplant on a persons mental health.

Well I would say the first order of business is to kill the dog.

Anyway I think it would be really hard to look in the mirror everyday for routine tasks. Not to mention how self conscious one would become.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Kill the dog?! What the.... Are you even a little sane? That woman had deliberately taken a sleeping pill overdose. After that, what the dog did is pretty much irrelevant. She wanted to die.

Now she's making tons of money on personal appearances and god knows will most likely write a book and become a medical expert and who knows what all.

The dog, naturally has to die. And s/he was euthanised some time ago. Very beneficial. Very useful. I would assume the dog was trying to get her to wake up. Nice thanks for the effort.

Someone justify the death of the dog to me. I don't get it. People are so unbearably stupid!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Sorry I’m so unbearably stupid, I’m also sorry that I drank to much and returned home at 2AM and replied to this thread in such a un-intellectual manner.

I’m sorry that even though I read the article I must have missed the whole sleeping pill thing as I was focused on the whole face transplant thing.

Please forgive me for being such an unbearably stupid and dumbed down American.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by snowen20]

[edit on 3-11-2008 by snowen20]

new topics

top topics

join