It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food shortages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This is just an observation but I think food shortages have allready been in place for a considerable while, Have you noticed how many things are put into little sachets as if its one portion for one human.

I went to the shops to get some oats for porridge last week, They had a box there whith 12 little sachets in, But its not just porridge, Have you seen those small loaves of bread....

Are we being rationed and told how much to eat, I for one cant live like that, I eat like no tomorow but I also ride a bike (MTB) most of the time so I have a healthy appetite.

But seeing these small child like servings being put into boxes is a big concern.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I have noticed packaging getting smaller, yet the price still goes up.
I have also noticed that cuts of meat are portioned smaller now too.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I too noticed something a little strange at a Home Depot store in Austin, Tx. I went to the outdoor dept and could not find where they normally have their vegtable seed packs on display. I was going to stock up on various veggies for the spring. I was told by the salesman that, for the first time, Home Depot was not going to stock the seeds in the fall, that he was told they would be shipped sometime after the new year for the spring planting. It could be that they are just trying to save money in these tough times and not buy and stock them too far in advance.

I just found it odd that they did not stock any.......none.....zip.....nada, until next year.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'm wondering why the WalMart in my north Florida town is sold out of so much for the past few weeks....... pastas, beans, dog and cat food, etc..... normal staples of everday but not that which should sell out every day in a small town.

I have watched this year as WalMart raised it's prices and then downsized the same items... keeping the high prices on now a much smaller quantity. They try to hide it by stating "New Packaging Design!" ........ well yippee.

The WalMart clan has some painful karma heading their way. Wouldn't wanna be 'em.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I prefer to not eat packaged items. I would really like to get my own garden, but I haven't the time to tend one properly. I like to cook real food, it saves a lot in the long run and its better for your body.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This is just silly. That's what you think a food shortage is like? food coming in small individual packages? Food shortages are when there isn't enough food for everyone. There's clearly enough food (in america and the other first world nations). it might be more expensive than usual, and it might come packeged for individual servings, but there's still plenty of it. If you were willing to, you felt like it, you could easily eat yourself to obesity. Don't like the snack pack sizes you bought? You are physically capable of eating two if you feel like it.

If you don't like small packages sizes, buy in bulk. It's cheaper because the manufacturers don't have to put everything in small packages. Believe it or not, most people PREFER the small packages, because they find that the convenience is worth the extra cost, and don't care about the extra waste that their choices create. Furthermore, small individually packaged servings are generally in the manufacturer recommended serving size; IE, the average size of that particular food that you should eat in one sitting. Americans generally have a large incongruity with much of the rest of the world on portion sizes.

Things are put into little sizes like that because many people like having some guideline as to how much they should eat. And from what I can tell, many people need it. It's kind of funny that you'd be concerned with food coming in too small of packages, while most of the world is concerned with the general public being too overweight.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican
This is just silly. That's what you think a food shortage is like? food coming in small individual packages? Food shortages are when there isn't enough food for everyone.

Maybe there isn't, thats why they are putting it into small packages like rations?

Originally posted by mdiinican Don't like the snack pack sizes you bought?

Who said I bought the box, I just noticed when I was at the shop, I was buying oats so yes, the box was where the oats were cause they were oats aswell.

I was going to write something else about this but I cant remember what it was....

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dar Kuma

Originally posted by mdiinican
This is just silly. That's what you think a food shortage is like? food coming in small individual packages? Food shortages are when there isn't enough food for everyone.

Maybe there isn't, thats why they are putting it into small packages like rations?

what? Anyway, it's not like food *doesn't* come in larger boxes. It's just that there's apparently a large and successful market for individually packaged servings. Some people like to pack lunches for their kids or themselves, for example, and find it handy to have pre-packaged individual servings.

if there was a food shortage, you'd get to the supermarket and they would be sold out of many types of food, and unable to get more.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
if there were food shortages we wouldn't see so many fat people.

look at somalia or ethiopia or photographs of breadlines in the u.s. during the depression and see how many fat people you count.

the obesity epidemic shows there is not currently a food shortage. hell in america even the poor people are fat.

quod erat demonstrandum, baby.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Food Manufacturers Are Giving You Less For The Same Price

Its not just me thats noticed then.

And Oswald, thats a whole different argument about the "fat people" as you put it.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by Dar Kuma]

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
dried up,,,,

news.sympatico.ctv.ca...

"Potato shortage forces closure of McCain plant"

"The company had been receiving a supply of potatoes from Prince Edward Island, but that has dried up due to bad weather during the last growing season."

dried up??????

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
dried up,,,,

news.sympatico.ctv.ca...

"Potato shortage forces closure of McCain plant"

"The company had been receiving a supply of potatoes from Prince Edward Island, but that has dried up due to bad weather during the last growing season."

dried up??????

bump,,,
this is NOT small potatoes ,,people,,
,it's starting,,,
shortages in real time ,,manufacturing,,
its ,,,,,,******************** P.E.I ************ no potatoes is like saying there is no gambling in Vegas.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Federal government unveils new food safety act

The Safe Food for Canadians Act, tabled in the Senate, consolidates separate legislation -- the Fish Inspection Act, the Canada Agricultural Products Act, the Meat Inspection Act, and the food provisions of the Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act -- under one law, and imposes stiffer penalties for serious food-safety offences.

Consolidating the acts will "make inspection and enforcement powers consistent regardless of whether we're talking abut meat, fish or other agricultural products," Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz said at a press conference Thursday.

yea

news.sympatico.ctv.ca... slation-cfia-120607

new topics

top topics

join