It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet names for stuff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
OK, here's the scoop.

Have you ever had a "Pet" name for something that you own or have owned? I of course am referring to other names than "THAT (BLEEPING BLEEP) OF A CAR WON'T START!"

I've had several names for various things that I've owned.

1) My old 1976 Ford Grenada: "The Grenade" since we never knew when it was going to blow up.

2) An Amiga Computer: "Jessica" My roommates came up with the name. I have no idea why but the name stuck.

3) My Present Computer: "Tigger" My computer at times defies logic and on occasion the laws of Causality.

4) A German Furby: "Snoozer" He kept falling asleep and would snore a lot. Spoke German as well instead of English.

5) BD: A mottled Brown and Green Beany baby dragon. Named after the BDU camouflage pattern. Besides he had beady eyes as well.

6) The Bubbleator: A rather odd device with several transparent tubes that you filled with water. Had changing color lights and ran air bubbles up the pipes. I have no idea what the proper name for this thing is.

So tell me. Do you have any devices, cars, or what not that you have a name for?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Deson

I had a 67 camaro that I named James Dean. He was sweeeeet! I had it painted black, new carpeting and seats in black leather, I couldn't think of a name any more cool for a car that cool. Oh, I miss James!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I forgot about the bong.....it was named 'the terminator'.Made attached to an oxygen mask, it is probably why I cannot remember a lot about my first marriage......LOL!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
When my son was a toddler he got a blanket that he always held and slept with. He called it his "cuddle kiki". I know....adorable. That cuddle kiki is in shreads now, but I saved all of them. He's eight now and still keeps a peice of it in his room just in case.

Rush

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
We have the soccer-mom car from the bowels of hell.

Bought for $800, still running fine, but the windows don't roll down anymore and the air conditioner hasn't worked since we bought it.

There's something wrong with the electrical system and it gives off a warning beep that goes on for about two minutes, every ten minutes.

Driving the thing is a Pavlovian nightmare.

We call it THE HOT BOX.

There are several pieces of fence wire we've twisted into decorative wind toys and hung around the house and are refered to as DOINKS.

My guy works at the retail-megolith Wal-Mart aka THE GULAG.

His alarm clock is one of those "atomic clock" types, has an errie green glow and a piercing shriek when it goes off - and has hence been termed THE MARTIAN ALARM. A sure-fire warning against alien attacks.

[edit on 11/3/08 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The end slice of bread.. i thought everyone called it the DINKY.. I can remember opening my lunch and saying, " Aw geez, mom gave me the dinky!!" and having my classmates back away from my lunch bag in fear.

Then the big branch trimmers.. ( posting a pic for you all )

These were known ( and still are ) as pachangas.. I have no idea why.. Its a dad word. lol.. " help me with this shrub here.. go grab the pachangas from the garage."

I love family words for things !!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Hmm, just on a guess. Pachanga sounds like a sound that they would make. Or at least it sounds like a "Sound" type of Word.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Could very well be.. Almost makes it not so crazy then huh?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112
When my son was a toddler he got a blanket that he always held and slept with. He called it his "cuddle kiki". I know....adorable. That cuddle kiki is in shreads now, but I saved all of them. He's eight now and still keeps a peice of it in his room just in case.

Rush

When I was a baby my parents bought me a small pillow that I called "Little Pilly". It was my best friend and security. When the satin cover started to fall apart, my mom sewed a doll blanket that was made for me by a babysitter over it.
It got very worn over the years. About ten years ago..(YES), I removed the blanket covering, and threw the old pillow inside out, replacing it with one the same size, and I resewed the doll blanket covering over it.
So the blanket I had since age three, covers a small pillow that I still have.
I'm 37 now.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SugarJ

Well, considering that my Mother always called the vacuum cleaner the "Swoosher" perhaps not so far off. English is her second language after all.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I bought this sword two years ago and tagged it with "Gilette" as a nickname. The reason being that I could give someone a shave from the neck up if I so shose. Luckily, I know I will never chose to do that. But I do have it hanging on my wall as a conversation piece.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Conley
I bought this sword two years ago and tagged it with "Gilette" as a nickname. The reason being that I could give someone a shave from the neck up if I so shose. Luckily, I know I will never chose to do that. But I do have it hanging on my wall as a conversation piece.

You've just reminded me of something. A number of years ago I was a member of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronisms). One of the members. A rather large and burly guy who went by the moniker of Shuka had a large double bladed battle axe that he called "Little Butterfly" Blasted thing weighed several pounds! He handed it to me one day. After a few seconds of holding this monstrosity it felt "right" to me. This wasn't a decorative weapon but one that could very well be used effectively. Then again, I probably would have made a good Viking if I were born in another age.
(chuckle)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
my very first macintosh at the beginning of the 90s got a hard disk that used to stop working all of a sudden, as if it slept in.
you had to reboot the system and evrything was fine than
but due to that i called that mac "WillNich" - german slang for "it doesn.t want to work" "it doesn.t want" "it won.t"
and since that all my macintoshs got the name "WillNich" - i am typing at "WillNich" V.

my first car - an orange VW variante - was called for no reason "joshua"
and the model that followed it was a french car and called "jerome"

the dishwasher is "minna" and the food processor "kenny" (of kennwood)

i am nuts and i love it!

;lol:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Yeah, it also took me a few minutes to get the 'feel' of Gilette. I take it down off the wall to practice with it once in a while, just to keep in practice. I am not part of a group like your friend is, though.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Sure!

I used to be an Acura NSX owner and I called my car X.

Less than a year after buying the car I got myself a bearded dragon which I named X.

I would later sell the car and change my lizard's name to Rex, after watching some hilariously bad plays by Chicago Bears' QB Rex Grossman.

Here is my gf playing with Rex, while some friends watch the Seahawks crumble on TV.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Some of the equipment in my work office is quite archaic. When I first got there almost 3years ago I had a huge Compaq computer monitor that was dubbed "The Microwave" due to its size It literally took up 1/4 of my (already small) desk. Finally I got a new flat screen... and got put "The Microwave" out of its misery.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My car is named Margaret, but I tend to call her Maggie or Maggs.

Not a one line post.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I call my water pipe 'father gurgle'.
I often visit the porcelain god.
I can hardly stand the boob tube.
I have a finger puppet I named McFarkle.
I have a lighter I call gutter monkey(it has a Velcro® monkey arm attached i found in a gutter and duck tape to every new bic i get, no one will touch gutter monkey, i guess he is gross)
My bible I named 'Satanic Jesus candy' and I read it while in the temple of the porcelain god.
My ouiji board I named Jesus. (pronounced hay-seus)
My 10x10 perforated paper sheets I named 'liberation' but friends call it 'communion'
My shoes I call my sneaker expresses
My cell phone I named 'my digital leash'
My computer I named Hal2012
My schizophrenia I call first 'profitable' then 'a gift'.
My medication I call 'profitable' and then 'propaganda' I never call it 'taken'
My plants all have names, all female.
my other plants I just water.
and I named my keys SATORI, because Im always seeking them...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I own a 1990 Pontiac Le Manns.

Once called the simply the 'Pontiac' it is now know as the "Lan-tiac"
It earned that name because we used it as a taxi at our computer game LAN's. Soon as a joke we called it the official mascot of LAN club.

Sigh, the Lantiac.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I used to have several pet names for my ex wife.

It started as chewychomp. (South Park thing)

Then it got shortened to several names including chompy, chewy, chompmaster, among others.

The names I call her now are much much different

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join