It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Adopts Gay Marriage Ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

BOSTON - The Massachusetts Legislature adopted a new version of a state constitutional amendment Monday that would ban gay marriage and legalize civil unions, eliminating consideration of any other proposed changes.

Apparently they've adopted the proposed amendment, but it will not be finally approved until 2006.

The first gay marriage to be officially recognized in a state, says the article, is to take place on May 17th in Massachusetts. I'm a bit confused as to how my state can first allow a gay marriage, but then adopt a plan to ban them, but they can do what they want.

�There is no single clear solution to this issue,� said Lees, who sponsored the measure with Senate President Robert Travaglini. �If there was such a solution, we wouldn�t be here today. But this amendment attempts to strike a balance between those citizens who want to be heard in defining marriage yet never taking away the rights and benefits of gay and lesbian couples.�

Personally, I think this is a step in the right direction. I won't get into my personal opinions on why I don't agree with gay marriage just yet, I just wanted to get this information out there for people to discuss.

Here is a link to the article.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I never understood why this has gotten such attention with everything else that is currently happening in our world. I personally don't believe in religious marriages for anyone (homo or hetero). It is just a tradition thats value is long gone if it ever had any, but you don't see me attempting to force that idea on anyone. Live and let live.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Exactly. Many more things to worry about instead of 2 gays getting married.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Yeah.. Gays getting married ain't nothing to fret about. It only threatens to breakdown an already troubled American society. Who cares, right?

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by kramtronix
Yeah.. Gays getting married ain't nothing to fret about. It only threatens to breakdown an already troubled American society. Who cares, right?

Forgetaboutit. Gays getting married actually 'threatens' to bring meaning back to marriage. Let's not forget the percentage of divorces amongst 'straight' unions and the extramarital relations that postpone such divorce. We wouldn't want homosexuals to actually keep their vows, would we? Keep on truckin'.

top topics

join