It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political irritation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
When I was a youngster (I still am) I asked my father a question about politics. "Why do we have to vote, isn't there a right answer for everything?" After his laughing fit, he explained to me that there was not. "Austin, most Americans want the same things. We want to live happy comfortable lives, ensure our neighbors can live comfortable lives, and make damn sure our children do better than we did, a lot of us adults just are aren't sure of how to do that, it's why we disagree." During this election I have tried to remember what he said, that those who disagree with me still have the best of intentions. I wish we would all start embracing that we all want to help this country, and quit the infighting. I am not trying to suggest debate is not important, merely that we remember differences of opinion are what lead to this countries greatness. I think Nietzsche said something like 'at the moment of agreeable thought the barrel of a pistol is for me.' I'll shut up now, just want people on both sides to know that I am glad they are there, and that I think we can learn to disagree with a modicum of courtesy.

-One more thing while I am atop the soapbox, I have been very impressed with the civility on this forum. I think it shold be used as an example for all the other forms I have visited.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Good post.

Civility and respect is what ATS is all about. Sure there are the occasional goofballs who only seek to argue and incite anger, but for the most part this is a great place to come and speak your mind.

Without respect, we are nothing.

Oh, and haven't you heard? ATS is the example for the rest of the internet.

Welcome to the shining city on the hill my friend.

join