It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New minerals point to wetter Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

New minerals point to wetter Mars

news.bbc.co.uk

A Nasa space probe has discovered a new category of minerals spread across large regions of Mars.

The find suggests liquid water remained on Mars' surface a billion years later than scientists had previously thought.

The US Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) spacecraft found evidence of hydrated silica, better known as opal.

The discovery adds to the growing body of evidence that water played a crucial role in shaping the Martian landscape and - possibly - in sustaining life.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yet again, we keep learning more and more that MUST change the way we have thought about life and other planets. I understand the skeptical view of 'until proven otherwise, with absolute undeniable evidence, right now there is only 1 planet in this universe with life and intelligent life at that'. Okay, so this doesn't point to intelligent life but it does at least point to the potential that life did exist on a very wet Mars much more recent than previous thought.

We need to truly stop thinking that we are so unique. I know, until it is shown otherwise! There is much more to our smaller neighbor than we have ever been told. I'm just glad that this research is being let out. Knowing the nature of the government it definitely makes one wonder what is NOT being told to the public.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

Dr Murchie, who is chief scientist on the CRISM team, added: "The identification of opaline silica tells us that water may have existed as recently as two billion years ago."

Two billion years ago life on Earth consisted of single celled organisms, some of which were capable of photosynthesis. This finding really does a lot to increase the possibility that life did at least get a start on Mars.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Phage]

new topics

join