It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Benifits of Being Mentally Ill, any? (diagnosed with mental disorder)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
there are many mental disorders...

wikipedia list

mental health.com list

it seems it's in our genes and dna to make this malfunction every now and then... in most cases the illness could be very bad for survival. for instance, those that suffer paranoia would find it very hard to survive in the wild as an animal for o bvious instances. but in my opinion some illnessess can give advantages. say the ability to stay awake longer and still function well, or the increased anger that could lead to strength or agility... (these would come from mania in my opinion) but anyways

do you think, from your own experience or maybe just curiosity, that a mental illness... or just having a LITTLE bit of a mental illness could aid in survival in any way.

could there be any advantage with any mental illness?

i ask this both for living in our current time, or in past time, in a city, or in the wilderness...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LAUGHING-CAT

Having a bad day are we?

~~~~~~~~~~~

Back on topic:

I wouldn't think that any mental disorder would give someone an advantage in survival.. If anything I think it would give that person a disadvantage. It just seems to me that it the effects of most mental disorders will make someone less likely to be able to do what needs to be done to survive, whether it's due to not being able to function well enough to take care of themselves or just being so depressed that they just don't care anymore. Granted a touch of paranoia probably wouldn't hurt, but the majority of mental illnesses I can think of off the top of my head would only put the person at a disadvantage.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

Interesting question. I would think most mental disorders would be a disadvantage to survival or, at least, productive survival.

Paranoia might make one more cautious but at the cost of isolation (can't trust anyone=isolation). How would the genes get passed on?

Anorexia would cause you to eventually starve or malnourish yourself. Even if you lived long enough to become pregnant, an emaciated body would not serve as a suitable environment for the developing fetus.

Bipolar might have some advantages. I know several bipolar people and when they are manic they are able to accomplish amazing feats. However, when they are depressed they can become suicidal.

Depression could serve as a "down" or "me" time for the body allowing it to rest. Unfortunately it causes chemical changes that make the disease of depression self perpetuating if not chemically altered with antidepressants.

I can't see any evolutionary or long term benefits to chronic mental illness but not all mental illnesses are chronic.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The mentally ill make up a fair percentage of the homeless.
So I'd say that they would have an advantage over a lot of us when the
lights go out and things get feral.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Well, some mental disorders have a potential social advantages, which definitely impacts the individual's survival, and potentiallly the group's.

For instance, epilepsy. What is seen by modern culture as a debilitating malfunction was in the past seen as a sign of supernatural favor. Famous epileptics include both Mahammad and Genghis Khan. Definitely kept their DNA in the gene-pool regardless of modern society's opinions regarding their affliction.

Likewise, some genetic disorders such as hemophilia were evidence (before laboratory DNA essays) that you were a member of the Pharaonic, Romanoff, or Hannover bloodlines. The Romanoff's were technically killed by the revolution; but each generation found it more and more difficult to sire a male heir. In 1917 when they were executed, it was assumed that the Tsarevitch would never see manhood, due to his excessive bleedings. On the other hand, the woman who later claimed to be Anastasia (and thus his sister, a Grand Duchess) had supporters for the rest of her life because she really did have hemophilia.

The Hapsburgs, the single greatest ruling house of European history, were famous for the MENTAL illness that passed through their bloodline. Before the loss of holland though, they seemed to be wiser rulers than they were crazy. But eventually, madness seemed to be inherited without the ability to win wars or lead effectively.

For the most part, I don't think you are doomed by mental illness. Van Gogh was "blessed" with a divine madness. It's a shame he took his own life, but its the same force that produced "starry night."

makes me think of another "madman," the poet blake:

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
in the forest of the night.........

what the fire?
what the chain?
in what furnace was thy brain?

all the best.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
None survive. And we yet only make due.

The advantage any deemed ill get is others help. So long as they are yet with others they get a free ride for obtaining meals, etc.

And note: Not every single one diagnosed as ill is actually ill, unless you buy what the corrupt state just because of their line of work or line of study.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
OCD could be very good or very bad. In a survival situation anyone with OCD would or could be maticulous about following all survival techniques down to the finest detail and could live a very good and long life.

On the otherside of the coin if they were avoiding an enemy and couldn't find the exact item they needed and continued searching for say the perfect leaf for something they would become over engrossed in that and may not realize the enemy has closed in around them while they try to accomplish the task.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I have been diagnosed with ADHD and something else, although I don't remember the 2nd one bc I refused to take the meds for that.. Yes, ADHD meds were acceptable in my book
lol Being a single mother who takes care of the majority of the financial, physical, and emotional responsibilities, when they told me I was going to be put on adderall, I was ecstatic (being honest
)

Having said that though, I regulate the adderall myself. I will go days w/out it just bc I enjoy both the highs and the lows. I find that who I am as I am has many advantages.. I am very creative, have good ideas, and am very rarely bored (although today would be one of the rare times there was exception to my being bored). The advantages to what has been labeled as "mental disorders" far out weighs the disadvantages IMHO.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think it's possible that a mental "illness" could potentially give someone an advantage. Think about how humans and animals are thought to have evolved over time... a physical mutation would give one an edge over the competition. I'd image the same was and is true mentally, as well.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I think there are many mentally ill people that have contributed amazing things to this world. Creative, intelligent people that get "spikes" of ideas make things that no one of a normal mind set could make. On the train tracks of society of course, mental illness derails the false stability some people accept, to some this is not the right way to live. Obsession is part of some illness's, with out this, people would not be able to stay awake for 24 hours and work/develop/invent the next great thing.

To all people that think its not an advantage, I dont think you are looking at the big picture. You may see your world and how it would effect it, think of how a bipolar thinks, peeking levels of highs and lows...your steady,"correct" and average wave sine of emotion does not even come close to the way of thinking some "unstable" people can. To say it so you can understand, these people can reach thought patterns you cant dream of.

Here is a list of people with your so called "disadvantage", look at this and then you can tell me what you think:

Abraham Lincoln
Ludwig van Beethoven
Vincent Van Gogh
Isaac Newton
Richard Dreyfuss
Ernest Hemingway
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Michelangelo
Charles Dickens
Mark Twain

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I think it is dependent of the situation, personally, and to what degree the mental illness has grown. An extraordinarily beautiful woman with anorexia becomes a supermodel. A paranoid agoraphobic writes a bestselling novel.
OCD/paranoia in Howard Hughes got him pretty far in life.
Someone who washes their hands obsessively probably gets fewer colds, and yet functions in most other areas fairly well.
MPD can be a coping mechanism that isn't even noticed by most of the people around them. Hoarders can function most of the time, while keeping their secret locked away. Social anxiety disorders may be overlooked by the family, and as long as the person is loved and trusts a few, they survive quite fine. It probably makes life complicated and uncomfortable, but not to the point that their survival is at stake. I have a fear of heights and get claustrophobic with bouts of depression, but if Jason was chasing me, I am sure I could climb just as fast as the average Joe.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

good question

it's one of those questions though - how do we determine what is and isn't mental illness?

and who gets to decide?

whatever society decides is normal also determines what isn't

obviously there are individuals that are dealing with conditions that make it difficult to function - but, some just don't function the way the majority agrees they should

I really like these examples from dr_strangecraft:

The Hapsburgs, the single greatest ruling house of European history, were famous for the MENTAL illness that passed through their bloodline. Before the loss of holland though, they seemed to be wiser rulers than they were crazy. But eventually, madness seemed to be inherited without the ability to win wars or lead effectively.

For the most part, I don't think you are doomed by mental illness. Van Gogh was "blessed" with a divine madness. It's a shame he took his own life, but its the same force that produced "starry night."

makes me think of another "madman," the poet blake:
Tiger, tiger, burning bright in the forest of the night.........
what the fire?
what the chain?
in what furnace was thy brain?

really nice - determining the quality or value of an individual's life - how would you even start?

you could argue that we're all mad - but it's camouflaged by the crowd

it's the individual that stands out

and sanity is no guarantee of happiness or success - if we could even determine what it means to be sane

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
sanity and insanity, although not real psycological terms, i think are relevant. there are a majority of people that think along the normal terms of society, and then those that think outside of that range. then there are those that qualify to be mentally ill that become grand displays of a mode of thought unlike anyone of their time, place whatever.

for instance, edgar allen poe, mozart, behtoven(sp?), lincoln to name a few. even gengis kahn(sp?) i beleive was said to have epilepsy, which commonly in my experience can be hand in hand with certain other mental illnessess.

what i'm trying to say is sometimes having your brain wired a different way than everyone else makes you THINK totally different than everyone else. now this does not ascribe to one particular illness, but still so, it is apparent that thinking different can be like a psycological change that enables a behavior change and a grand change in a persons observations and use of their suroundings.

so in a survival instance, thinkings outside the box, along with a l ittle complexity might creat one to see a stick or bone and some vine and think profoundly different than those that see the ability to make a fishing rod and thus see the ability to make a bow and arrow.

i beleive it is possible for a mental illness to exhibit physical and mental positive traits while the person being strong enough mentally to suppress or control the negative ones because i have met people that can without medication in this society, and

therefor beleive it is possible for a person with a mental illness to not only hav ea chance to survive in the wilderness without meds but also to have an advantage at times, seeing that they will THINK profoundly differently, and have proven every once and i while in history can accomplish great things.

[edit on 033131p://upThursday by indigothefish]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. I can say with 100% certainty that it does not advantage me in any way. I have paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions that, when I'm not on medication, leave me unable to function properly. Even with medication I am still not able to work. I often go days without leaving my apartment.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by narnizzle
I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. I can say with 100% certainty that it does not advantage me in any way. I have paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions that, when I'm not on medication, leave me unable to function properly. Even with medication I am still not able to work. I often go days without leaving my apartment.

well, that puts things in perspective for all of us

I don't know you - so I'm afraid that anything I say after that will just sound condescending

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, when I say - I know someone who is schizophrenic - and without a doubt, his life is not an easy one

but he is what he is - he's an amazing person

he was a wonderful, brilliant, funny person before he was diagnosed - that hasn't changed - and I don't see that it's going to change - ever

he will always be who he is

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
If you fake "mental illness" like my sisters boyfriend there are plenty of benefits.

No work, no responsibilities etc.

He's quite simply one of the weakest people I know.

Some of you may feel I'm being harsh, but he IS a worthless plonker who's been feeding off my sister emotionally, financially, spiritually and any other way possible.

She's a soft touch and makes up for his pathetic attitude.

Everyone has mental problems.....it's called having a brain and experiencing emotions we don't fully understand and living in a world that doesn't offer everything you want on a plate!

Welcome to the human condition....accept it or fight it, but don't expect a free piggy back ride.

I pity him and feel sorry for my sister who is recovering from leukemia and already thinking about getting back to work.....he hasn't worked a single day in about 8 years!

Damn doctors don't help, giving people what they want so they go away. An excuse to be excused from growing up in my opinion.

Nothing a good slap and a dose of reality in the big wide world wouldn't cure.

But I love and respect my sister soooooooo much.

As usual, a seemingly simple question (
to the OP) can only be answered reasonably in context.......

NO...He is lazy and has convinced himself and his doctors that his problems are worse than they are or could be. To provide him with a "sick note" is the worst action that could have happened.

He sees the benefits, but I think he's alone on that one. Of course, talking to him about it has proved pointless in the past and most of us just accept that he's always going to be a plonker!

plonker, plonker, plonker!

[edit on 31/10/2008 by nerbot]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave

Interesting question. I would think most mental disorders would be a disadvantage to survival or, at least, productive survival.

Schizophrenia may have been a key survival tool:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Cheers Karl

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks for providing the links but, after having read them both, I fail to see how they relate to the topic at hand.

There was a cursory mention of "psychic tears" but, following that logic, seals should have mental illnesses as well. (They may for all we know).

Forgive me if I'm just being dense but I don't see how either of the links explain anything at all about how mental illnesses might be an advantage for human beings.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join