It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous chemicals in babies diapers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Well as an expecting father I am getting to know lots or stuff and doing lots of research on the best ways to bring up a healthy child and some of the stuff I read has led me to believe that cloth diapers are simply the only option.

The conspiracy is that I believe companies purposely add dangerous chemicals in disposable diapers which have been shown to be terrible for the environment let alone the child. here isa few paragraphs I copied from a site with info on the subject:
What is better for your baby?

"Even though disposable diaper manufacturers spend millions of dollars every year on advertizing that their diapers feel "drier", no scientific evidence indicates that diaper rash occurs more often with cloth diapers than with disposables. In fact, because disposables feel drier, many parents postpone diaper changes too long and the bacteria from the urine remains in longer contact with the baby's skin causing redness and irritation. In addition, because the plastic in disposable diapers prevents the proper circulation of air, ammonia from the bacterial-breakdown of urine is unable to escape causing further irritation; whereas cloth diapers with a wool or micro-fiber cover allow the baby's skin to breathe, thereby eliminating this source of irritation. The best way to prevent diaper rash, however, is frequent diaper changes, regardless of which kind of diaper one uses.

What is most frightening about disposable diapers is the unknown or passively ignored presence of toxic chemicals. One such chemical is dioxin, a highly toxic by-product of the bleaching process. Secondly, sodium polyacrylate, the clear gel-like substance you often find on your baby's genitals after a diaper change, gives disposable diapers their super absorbant characteristic. Its use in tampons was banned in 1985 because of its link to Toxic Shock Syndrome. And most recently, TBT or Tributylin was found in disposable diapers in Europe. TBT is ranked by the World Health Organization (WHO) as one of the most toxic substances in use in consumer products in the world today. It is a biocide and is used in killing or preventing the growth of bacteria. And although the WHO has also revealed that the amount of TBT found in disposable diapers poses no threat to the health of a baby, the question still arises: Why is such a toxic substance needed in a diaper? And furthermore, even though the TBT in diapers does not adversely effect those wearing the diapers, what about the safety of ground water from decomposing diapers in landfills?

What's more, new scientific studies have linked disposable diapers and their harsh perfumes and toxic substances to the increase of asthma in today's society. Laboratory rats exposed to disposable diapers straight out of the package have suffered increased eye, nose and throat irritation, as well as bronchioconstriction similar to that of an asthma attack (according to Rosalind C. Anderson, lead author of the report "Acute Respiratory Effects of Diaper Emissions", Archives of Environmental Health, 54, October 1999). "

Link to the site I quoted:www.awchamburg.org...

I've visted a few places and talked to a few other parents and the ones who used cloth diapers seem to have saved $$ and apparently not exposed their child to harmful chemicals.

So why do soo many parents ridicule parents who use cloth, which seems to be the case from talking to parents who do use disposable's? They think its a waste of time and also bring up stuff that just isnt true like cloth babies get more rashes. Its false as Ive talked to 3 close friends with kids and my girlfriends mom who I truly think are telling the truth when they said next to no rashes while using cloth because they get changed more often and bacteria has less chance to grow.

Is it a conspiracy like say flouride to beging the chemical contamination as young as possible or just greedy buisness not caring enough to add whatever they think will sell and make profit while disregarding safety of infants? The fact I'll save 1000$ a year made the choice for me though!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Slickinfinity

Right on, props to your decision

I have been talking to my brother and his wife about almost everything you mentioned in your post! Great info there.

I think all parents should switch to organic cloth diapers.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Slickinfinity

brother, it's all part of the hidden war against humanity. profit is the fuel. but why the war in the first place?? what did we do to deserve this unrelenting punishment from cradle to grave??

good luck with your baby. protect him/her from the hidden war just as you would from an obvious war.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yea I am trying to raise a chemical free child as hard as that is these days and I'll also spread the word on what I know to be true that disposable diapers are bad!

I am also looking onto things like baby bottles that leech toxins and am very weary about vaccinations but my the doctor assured us that vaccines are needed. I'd also be suprised to see anyone come here and defend the use of disposable diapers.

top topics

join