It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

time travel lessons

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   
As you approach the speed of light...time slows down.

A watch worn by an astronaut, and one worn by a ground observer could be synchronized before launch. When the astronaut returned, his watch would be a little off from his ground friend's... Not sure about the exact time dilation, but it's pretty scarce, even at the speed travelled by the astronauts, but it was at least like a couple minutes or so...

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Did it have somthing to do with zero gravity or the high G-forces of taking off?

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Strictly has to do with acceleration. The faster you go, the more time slows down. The watch and bullet train illustration works best. Man A is at the station. Man B gets on the train. Both of their watches are synchronized to the second. Man B goes a few miles away, at a really high speed, then comes back, again at high speed. They then compare watches. Man B's watch will be behind that of Man A's, albeit only by seconds.... The greater the speed (and thus, closer to light speed), the greater the time dilation. Length contradiction is also a postulate of the theory. On the newer Star Trek's, when a ship goes into warp, you'll see it "stretch". This is an illustration of the length contradiction postulate. Advanced physics isn't my bag, so I'll spare us both the math, hehe....

posted on Jan, 30 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Do you mean the expanding of mass as velocity increases? Because they say that if somthing were to go the speed of light, you could pass the entire galaxy through it, and never touch an atom. I don't see how it would be possible to go the speed of light if your mass becomes near infinate.

posted on Jan, 30 2003 @ 01:34 PM
link   
something like that....you get to the point where mass becomes energy (Einstein again)...

posted on Jan, 31 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Amazing...
I never thought of it that way. But, wouldn't that mean that maybe some things have already done this, creating light and all other forms of energy.

And that would...I think...create infinate energy, you could turn matter into enery, say garbage, to power things. But I still doubt that you would be able to travel time, without causing a major ripple or an effect near like it in space/time itself.

posted on Jan, 31 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
You act as if there really is such a thing as time....

posted on Jan, 31 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   
time is just a measurement. The examples I gave are all "relative" to an observer, as for our astronaut, nothing seemed amiss, while he was travelling slower in time...just that an observer can notice it. Hence the name "Theory of Relativity" (as I understand it...like I said, I'm no physics major, just a curious person that's into wierd sh!t, hehe...) So some of you others who live on the math of physics feel free to jump in here...

posted on Jan, 31 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I know, I know, It was invented by man. A concept to measure the length somthing takes.

But if it isn't real, then it cannot be bent. Lets not call it time lets call it existance. How can you measure back or forward to the existance of somthing else? If you cannot do this, "time" travel is not possible.

There would be no way to control it even if you were able to pull it off. You would bombard erratically through time, and eventually die. So if your dead, you didn't really travel through time, because you would never come back out.

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 11:25 AM
link   
"To travel back or forward in time, there must be a reference point to measure from. And since time is infinate(or so I believe) there can be no way to measure."

Regardless as to whether time/existence is in fact INFINITE (never having a beginning or end), we DO have a reference point-- what we define as "right now" or "the present time". The reference point would simply be our current place, time, and location.

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
the reference point "right now" being "relative" to the ending time destination. That's whats meant by time "travel"... Didn't mean to make it more confusing, but it can be a confusing subject in and of itself anyways...

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   
But "right now" is everchanging. You would have to catch that one second.

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   
www.mines.edu...

www.mines.edu...

I hope these help, I didn't understand much of it. Then again, I'm not that old. I hope somebody can understand it.

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   
how can we travel something that does not exist.if the universe started with a bang then somewhere in that universe that bang happened a fraction of a second ago.in universe time the clock hasnt started yet and if the clock hasnt started then the past present and future are all happening at the same time.

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
"how can we travel something that does not exist."

I don't know, why don't you ask the hundreds of thousands of planes, trains, busses, and subways all around the world!

Time itself is a CONSTRUCT, it is a human-fabricated theory that best explains the life, death, and evolutionary processes that we experience on a macro level.

"if the universe started with a bang then somewhere in that universe that bang happened a fraction of a second ago."

Good thinking! If that is in fact the case, then there should exist SOME type of function that allows us to jump ahead or behind (i.e. move within the system).

"in universe time the clock hasnt started yet and if the clock hasnt started then the past present and future are all happening at the same time."

Exactly! So if that is the case, then we should be able to move VERTICALLY through the space-time continnuum-rather than horizontally as we are used to.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   
That makes no sense. "IF" time was created by man, as a measurement, then how could time not have started in another part of the universe? Essentially, time does not exist, so you cannot jump around in something that doesn't exist.

I believe you can go around time, but not reverse or speed its flow. I suppose after you reach a certain speed,(because time slows the faster you go) that time would stop, but not reverse.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Inspectah... guys.... the page over here:

www.mines.edu...[/ url]

Is simply someone's geological notes on seismography, REWRITTEN to replace "Seismography" with "Time Travel." Looks like a student hack job on a prof's notes.

Here's the prof's original home page, "refraction seismology."
[url=http://www.mines.edu/fs_home/tboyd/GP311/MODULES/SEIS/main.html]http://www.mines.edu/fs_home/tboyd/GP311/MODULES/SEIS/main.html

Someone has hacked themselves up a "sucker trap" to laugh at all the fools who'd believe what they say.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Thought that didn't look right. It didn't have anything to do with time. I doubt time can be reversed anyway.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by joehayner
"Stopping A Clock
John Bajak has invented a Flux Capacitance Time Travel Circuit, and he even provides the schematics for it on his website. And it works, he says. It's amazing it never made the front page of the newspaper.

Not sure how this fits into the equation but after John Bajaks 'Talking Television' incident, he writes a letter to on of his Navy friends and mentions his fathers name 'Sigmund Bajak' within the letter. I'm sure if you do a little searching on the net, you could find it.

Anyway, I went to the Arlington National Cemetary website and looked under the United States Navy and actually found his fathers name as one of the fallen soldiers.

He passed away in 1996, six years before the invention of his sons Time traveling device. Anyway it mentions that he was an NBC director. Hmph.

More info can be found at:
www.arlingtoncemetery.net...

John Bajaks name is mentioned on the site.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Actually, currently we can go back in time. When the astronauts return to Earth, less time has passed for them (as they went faster than we on Earth, and thus, time went slower), so in a sense, they went backwards in time, although, only a few moments....

Thats true..according to einsteins E=mc2 time stretches more and more as you get closer to light speed. A starship flying with almost light speed for about five minutes can easily miss 500 years in earth real time. They only (theoretical) way to protect from this effect is to create a bubble around the ship that pushes the ship slightly out of phase and under a condition where its matter no longer is controled by our know physical laws.

Another way is that the ships mass is zero or lower which is not really possible if you still want to fly around...

Ever heard of the tunneling experiments? Wasnt a long time ago. There is some kind of tunneling effect which occurs under special circumstances where information send through the tunnel reaches above light speed. The scientists placed a cd player with a symphony in it at one side of the tunnel and played the cd....scanning the time it takes for the music information through the tunnel.
Scary thing is they found out that the music already played out of the tunnel a few microseconds before the guy even pushed the play button...

I lost all my links on that case..will try to find some, if anyone heard about that and has some links post them please. I think it was a physics group connected to Prof. Zeilinger in Austria who already has sucesfully teleported the condition of one atom to another without any time loss and just with a laser beam.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join