It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Human Nature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It has always been human nature to do what they must do, not what they can do. In other words, the average human will do just enough to survive and will usually not go beyond that to push him or herself to reach new boundaries. There a number of exceptions to this rule, but for the vast majority of human beings, this holds true.

Now this would say that laziness is an engrained part of human culture. And that as such, laziness cannot necessarily be criticized. But it can, when it is warranted. Look at the welfare system. Now many people who are unemployeed are seen by many (especially by the right) as being lazy because they just do not care to get a job. Yet hearing many accounts of these people, they want jobs, they want to do what they can to survive, but the jobs are not available. These people will not want to get a job that they are overqualified for, especially when we're not in an economic depression.

Would you want a job as a janitor when you're trained to be a computer programmer? Of course not, but you would have to find some way to make ends meet. So while you are searching for a job in what you are qualified to do, you are caught between deciding whether to get a # job or apply for welfare. If you get a # job, you're oppurtunities for finding a new job will be severely limited as you will most likely have to work seven days a week to make enough money to pay the bills and you will be terribly unhappy that you can't do what you were trained to do.

If you're on welfare, and this is the way welfare should work, you should be using that time to exhaustively look for a job in which you are trained. Welfare has indeed turned into a hand out organization that really doesn't do much to help those that are trained and are desperately looking to use their skills. And with the current welfare state, people, according to their own human nature, have become lazy. If you're going to blame anyone, blame the state of welfare, not people. You can't expect to have a system where people can be sent money without trying to do anything and not have those that will look to exploit it because that would be the least one could do to survive. That is human nature.

Anyways, I hope this rambling makes sense. Feel free to dissemble this. I'm open.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm sure the welfare system is worth it, even if we do have to support a few lazy bastards. I don't want good people to starve because of one bad fluke in their financial life. We don't live in the days anymore where everyone grows a little garden to eat off of that they can fall back on if they lose their "city" job. You'll never get rid of lazy people or people who think they are owed something. They give us others a sort of comparison gauge. I've had a job almost constantly since I was thirteen. There are opportunities out there, just maybe not to crackheads, losers, and self-proclaimed victims. Ask an illegal immigrant why they're over here.

join