It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids are screwed up, not media

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirello
i dont get it. people are always saying that media mess up childrens minds. yeah right! i watch violent cartoons all the time, but i don't think of stabbing people or stuff like that. im 10. these are the number one reasons that children do stuff like that.
number 1 reason: the child themselves
Number 2: the perents
number 3: the tv
there are probebly alot of reasons that are more importent then tv.
what im trying to say is its not tv it the children.

*NC changed title

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Netchicken]

I think you've got an interesting point there. I'd say I have to agree with you! I have seen people who come from the same family and one turns out bad while the other one turns out good. They both watched the same tv shows and had the same parents and did relatively the same things in life at school. Yea, I think it starts with the very first person. The individual themselves.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Its more than the media and the parents. Both do play a role in shaping our kids. But we as a society have changed so dramaticlly and so fast in the last 50 years.
Children have way too much time on their hands now a days. Used to be children worked,when they had freetime. So the majoriety of kids wern't on the streets with nothing to do. If you wanted something,you had to earn the money to get. I worked almost every summer since I was 9 years old. I'm 36 now. I had to buy my own video games,not just the games ,but the whole system. Same with most of my toys,gadgets whatever. Most of my friends where in the same boat I was. We wanted something,we earned it.
Now we have a "you owe me" attitude. Whens the last anyone has seen a 13 year old go out and make the money for his X-Box.
So now we have children sitting around watching way too much tv,listening to music and playing violent games. And half of the kids have parents that don't give a crap. And the kids do what they have been watching and playing on tv.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

im not talking about every day. im talking about those kids that stab people AND say it was the media. im trying to defend media andd video games. would you like it if there werent video games and all the tv shows were about trees that hug you when your sad

I really like this kid! He/She got spunk

I am the parent of a 12 year old video game addict. What I would like to see is video games where you don't and can't obtain "infinate life". I think when you are "killed" you have to start over. I believe that kids who are influenced by media and games should have it drilled into their heads that when you are dead...YOU ARE DEAD. You don't get to jump up and keep on playing.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I disagree. Tv doesnt screw kids up per se.

Because the kids wouldnt be watching it if the parents were doing thier friggin jobs.

Kids only will watch what thier parents allow to be accesible. Thus, regardless of whats on tv, mom and dad, if they were paying attention to thier kids and instructing them properly, would be able to filter whats going in and out.

If parents would start babysitting thier own offspring, instead of letting the TV do it for them, they would be better off. But most parents are too busy with things they shouldnt be busy with: thier "careers", thier circle of friends, thier own activities.

When you bring children into the world, thats it, your life ends as you know it. Your responsibility is to raise your children and teach them your own way.

If your too busy to watch your kids every minute, youre simply unfit to have children. Bottom line.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
TV and video games do nothing.

Jews were killed, Indians were killed, people were lynched and enslaved, glatiators, boy prostitutes, rape, pillaging and all other sorts of sick demented things happened before TV.

The truth is, is that we are savages living in a technologically advanced world. People are sick, and have nasty sides to them as they always have.

The only thing to change from the begining of man to now is technology.

We are not sophisticated, we are not enlightened. We are animals and we are flawed.

Period.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Not all television is bad, I do watch the history channel and occasionally the Discovery Channel. I know many freinds that also watch shows that are interesting and somewhat educational.

But the majority of it is crap. And a little bit of crap for the kids is not really a problem. But everything here is always overdone. Kids get WAY too much TV because the parents are not doing their jobs.

Many parents say that nobody has the right to tell them how to raise their children. True, but if your child is messed up in the head, we should have the right to punish you.

Everything is ok as long as it is in moderation. In order to moderate everything for the child, the parent has to CARE and give up their time. From what I see, a lot(not all) of parents are selifish and what to have fun with themselves. Or are caught up with their work or their new wife/husband.

When I see the kids in my class graduate, I worry about the future of our nation...

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Wow, someone said something about us killing people like the jews, indians, blacks, so forth before tv and video games. But what this over looks is the fact that parents pay the shrink, and the shrink says the media is to blame. Connection? In the past, parents were responsible for the kid and what they did. Nowadays parents pay shrinks, and would you pay a shrink 75$ an hour to here the reason Jonny tortures small animals is because of you? You'd stop seeing the shrink and find one that says "It is the medias fault. it is Doom's fault, it is everybody else's fault, but yours."

Anyways, media does nothing, it is BS to say it does. I watch violent tv, cartoons, japanese anime, play Quake, Doom, GTA series, Half Life series, violent movies, and not once have I snapped and shot my school up. My parents taught me that was wrong. They did not say "Well, could either stay here, get a babysitter, or turn the tv on. Let's go with door number 3." Sure I was a Atarti fanatic, loved barn Storming and Pac Man, but I didn't start going into dark dungeons and eat dots while ghosts chased after me. I am perfectly normal, and so am I! Me Too! You get the point.(Look down for more proof of sanity!)

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It is sad but in the past persecution often did things because everyone else did it the media only helps that along. But sadly I have felt the urge to kill somebody. But I wouldn't have even considered it unless I saw the govoner of California go out and kill people in some movie.Luckily I vented my anger and hatred and now I'm more popular amongst my peers.

[edit on 6/26/2004 by cyberdude78]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   

of course they influance the kids
they influince me
but that dosent mean i go out and stab people

you just contradicted your first post right there

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Nowadays parents pay shrinks, and would you pay a shrink 75$ an hour to here the reason Jonny tortures small animals is because of you? You'd stop seeing the shrink and find one that says "It is the medias fault. it is Doom's fault, it is everybody else's fault, but yours."

Yup, little Johnny tortures little animals, you smack him on the back of the head and say "HEY, knock that S&%t off or I'll tan your hide boy." and move on with your day.

Spank your kid in a store and people get all nervous. I don't care, I'll smack my kid where ever I feel like it. I don't abuse him, but he'll not get away with garbage because we are outside the house.

Parents, you are the LAW. Act like it. You are the dictator and, quite frankly, the MASTER of your kids. You are the sun to their world, and they live by your hand. So use that hand to instill some discipline in them.

Case closed...

Slackers.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Media doesn't matter...

Sure it's a factor of influence but at the same time the children are being influenced by their parents, religion, other kids (influenced by their own parents), teachers and the simple power of observation.

It's odd we blame it on media when other countries with the same media standards.. or even more loose media standards have crime rates that are much lower then our own.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'm gonna go in a slightly different route here. People blame the media for their kids' bad behavior, or their own behavior, because America has turned into a nation of victims. Almost nobody in this country takes responsibility for their own actions. 200 pounds over-weight? McDonald's did it. 10 year old on brought a knife to school? Violent media's fault. 12 year old daughter wears thongs and cakes on make-up? Must have been Britney. It's sickening how many Americans are so quick to sue or blame anybody or anything to deflect blame off their *poor, abused* selves.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Its a matter of monkey see monkey do. And what do kids see more of TV or there parents. Hopefully their parents but in a lot of cases its TV. What does Elmer Fud do to Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. Elmer goes hunting with an elephant gun. What does Dee Dee do on Dexters Lab, why she blows him and his lab with some high tech gizmo. But on the other hand what do some parents do. Swear, hit, and file lawsuits to go with the divorce.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PolskieWojsko
Not all television is bad, I do watch the history channel and occasionally the Discovery Channel. I know many freinds that also watch shows that are interesting and somewhat educational.

Yeh but TV is unpredictable. The superbowl was supposed to be perfectly fine but what did Justin Timberlake do with Janet Jackson. Even the stuff thats supposed to be ok can change. But then again thats only live stuff. Its seems like the history channel is the only safe channel.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Everyone's different. Some kids could get ideas at a young age. It depends on how intelligent someone is. Kids need to use logic.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This is my long lost fight!!

People blame the media or the parents or society, but the only person you can blame (if you have to blame someone) is the dumbas who does the crime.

Quit babying the children!

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Just cause they are kids does not mean they don't know what they are doing. I'm sure the kids at Columbine knew exactly what the hell they were doing. I highly doubt Doom brainwashed them. I bet they knew every little thing they did was wrong, but just didn't care. Did Jeffery Lionel Dahmer play violent video games? Did Hitler play Doom while listening to Manson? Did Manson play Doom while listening to Manson? NO! And look at all the people they killed. Sorry, as said, it is the kid, not the tv. But hey, can't build a lawsuit on facts, need to pay shrinks to say the tv did it. Hey, that would be hilarious, forget tomatoes, "Attack of the Killer TV's" Coming to a theater not near you.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

im 10.

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Netchicken]

Dude, honest to the catfish god, you are too young to even understand what youre saying (although I am still young too, and have probably no idea what im saying )

the media has a massive impact on children these days. media screws kids minds.

Example, sucker.

A few years back when pokemon cards were real big on the market, it was considered cool to have all the rare freaks.Plus, their were books that told you which ones were good, bad, ugly, stupid, cool, strong, whatever. In quebec, this kid stabbed another kid cuz he wouldnt trade his rare cards.Still think media, commercials and crap dont affect people eh??

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I woudlnt say that TV is the reason kids comit murder or crime. But it does make murder and crime seem much less of a heinous thing. We're conditioned to the p oint where we hear that someone was brutally raped and murdered on the news and we think, "Just another day's news." The events are not surprising, offensive, or scary. Im not saying videogames are the only cause of this, all media, from TV to the news to computer games. Its not the cause, but it does soften the blow.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
i only said my age because im the age that most kids do stuff like that

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join