It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Five men held under Terrorism Act

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Five men held under Terrorism Act


news.bbc.co.uk

Five men have been arrested under the Terrorism Act in a series of dawn raids across the Birmingham area.

The men, aged between 29 and 36, are being held on suspicion of being involved in the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism.

The arrests were made at five separate addresses and searches were also being carried out at two business properties.

West Midlands Police said the action followed a complex investigation by its counter-terrorism unit.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The area's concerned are Sparkhill, Ward End, Hodge Hill, Bordesley Green and Aston, which having lived in Birmingham for many years comes as no real surprise.

The area's are a hotbed of malcontents and radicalised youngsters, and whilst it must be said that the majority of the people are peacefull and all around nice, there is a minority who have taken the words of extremist "preachers" to heart.

This is true to the extent that some parts of these area's are virtual no-go area's for anyone of a different ethnicity, and where english is not the first language of many residents.

The government and the councils in the UK could have done something about these self-formed ghetto's many years ago, but instead, chose to pander to them in the name of "multi-culturalism" with the result that we are seeing more and more disaffected young people of the muslim faith becoming radicalised.

There is no quick cure for this, and we in the UK will live with this for many years to come.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with immigration, but it has to be said that new labours policy of uncontrolled immiigration and lack of action on illegals has been a major factor in the situation we see today.

I would personaly like to see a policy of integration implemented to break up these ghetto's - although I think it is probably too late for that.

Successive governments for the next 20 years (at least) are going to be trying to sort out the mess created by labour - and in the meantime, the extremists will use this as an opportunity to radicalise more and more people.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I'm not an UK citizen so forgive me if my questions are stupid:



The men, aged between 29 and 36, are being held on suspicion of being involved in the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism.


It says "an act of terrorism".... any ideas on what this act would be?

...what can be considered "an act of terrorism" in the UK nowadays?



In a statement, police said they were not seeking anyone else at this stage and stressed the arrests were not related to any immediate plot or threat to the public.


Was there an official warrant for those arrest? If positive, why the need to "stress the police is not seeking anyone else at this stage? Is it another way to say "in the next stage we will be seeking other people" ?


How common is it to arrest people just by the claim of them being 'terrorist' in the UK nowadays?


And just as a last question: Are those men UK citizens?


Peace



posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Could they have written this bit of "news" in a more vague manner?

No names, no actual crimes, no specific location.... This seems like our daily reminder that terrorism is out there and we should all still be afraid.



posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
The area's concerned are Sparkhill, Ward End, Hodge Hill, Bordesley Green and Aston, which having lived in Birmingham for many years comes as no real surprise.

The area's are a hotbed of malcontents and radicalised youngsters, and whilst it must be said that the majority of the people are peacefull and all around nice, there is a minority who have taken the words of extremist "preachers" to heart.

This is true to the extent that some parts of these area's are virtual no-go area's for anyone of a different ethnicity, and where english is not the first language of many residents.


This is very similar to where I live and there were some bad race riots near here only a few years ago. However, the government refuses to believe that there are 'no go' areas. Although, there probably aren't where they live and if it happens in their constituency, then it's not like they're going to advertise the fact.



I would personaly like to see a policy of integration implemented to break up these ghetto's - although I think it is probably too late for that.


It's much too late. I've never really had a problem with immigration generally, as I think, historically speaking, it's been one of the better and more humane aspects of Britain. Also, on a personal level, my better-half is the daughter of initially non-English speaking immigrants!

However, immigration has been fraught with all manner of problems over the last 20 years. The fact that the government has no real idea of how many immigrants have come here over the last 10 years or so - or won't admit to it - speaks volumes to me. With the current economic climate which is going to create massive unemployment over the next few years, the government can't hide behind the 'well, there's jobs going' point for much longer.

Regarding the topic more directly, I wonder how many cases there are like these that the government has just simmering in the background, with no intervention, for whenever they need to pull something out of the hat to justify new policies or bring new policies in. The recent immigration announcement has had some flak in some quarters, however, if the government start waving the terror card around, people will quickly jump on the idea of pulling-up the draw bridge if necessary.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]



posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
It matters not if it is only a few radicalised "youths". The reality is that the whole Muslim community in that area will have been aware that something was going on or going to happen!

The Muslim community will rally round and protect it's own - no exceptions. They are Muslim first.



posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Could they have written this bit of "news" in a more vague manner?

No names, no actual crimes, no specific location.... This seems like our daily reminder that terrorism is out there and we should all still be afraid.



My thoughts exactly!!

I can't seem to find another reason for this piece of "news" rather then pouring FEAR among the readers...

"News" are supposed to be Informative, aren't they?

What else is news besides "five more neighbor terrorist" are now in jail for 'God knows how long'?

Without information such as NAMES and WHERE THEY WERE TAKEN TO, how the hell can we even TRY to verify this?

Peace


PS.: I'm gonna start a movement to call BS to all OFFICIAL news that LACK EVIDENCE.



posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
LOL

The BBC ....Public school boys club to keep the masses entertained and above ALL ...VERY VERY DUMB

Here watch Strictly watch it for 12 weeks it will consume your thougths.. we put it on every day ..dont worry we are the bbc you can trust us here watch some more retards dancing and filling the schedule every day for MONTH on end ..here we know what you want ..dont start thinking ..here watch this ...

We are going to dumb you down just like your American cousins here watch this dont think and above all dont forget to drink ..we need to ensure the nation is drunk and cannot think straight ..here make sure you feed your kids rubbish tonight here go to iceland mmmhhhh..


BBC ...A laugh it is ...
I watched it going downhill for so long now ..

So soem more Vague news like the above dont surprise me one bit..Since the LIES on 9/11 and again on 7/7 I dont trust the BBC one bit

British Bull%^&%$ Cooperation !!



posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Interesting. There have been a few other terrorism-related reports in recent weeks too: namely that Lord West, Parliamentary Secretary to the Home Office and Gordon Brown's security adviser said that a significant terrorist plot was being investigated by the police and MI5. In addition, whilst being questioned by a Select Committee, Brigadier Chip Chapman said that scientists from Porton Down (the UK government's nuclear, chemical and biological research lab) were deployed on counter-terrorism cases "a number of times this year".



posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sator
I'm not an UK citizen so forgive me if my questions are stupid:



The men, aged between 29 and 36, are being held on suspicion of being involved in the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism.


It says "an act of terrorism".... any ideas on what this act would be?

...what can be considered "an act of terrorism" in the UK nowadays?



In a statement, police said they were not seeking anyone else at this stage and stressed the arrests were not related to any immediate plot or threat to the public.


Was there an official warrant for those arrest? If positive, why the need to "stress the police is not seeking anyone else at this stage? Is it another way to say "in the next stage we will be seeking other people" ?


How common is it to arrest people just by the claim of them being 'terrorist' in the UK nowadays?


And just as a last question: Are those men UK citizens?


Peace


An act of terrorism would typically be a bombing or something similar, and is pretty much the same everywhere.

There would have been an arrest warrant issued, and they MAY seek to arrest other people depending on the outcome of their enquiries - in other words if any others are implicated during questioning.

Arrests are not just on the claim of someone being a terrorist - I am betting that this is the result of a lengthy intel op, where the activities of the men were monitored over quite a long period of time before they were arrested.

Yes these men would more than likely be UK citizens, although they may hold dual nationality.
They may even be migrants, in some cases, awaiting citizenship, or given indefinite leave to stay in the country.

Hope this helps.



posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Thank you for your input, budski I really appreciated your response.

It's what I thought... but that doesn't help, right?


Because we really have nothing at all so far... except for this picture of "living terrorism".... once from a cave, and now just next door!

Jesus, isn't that why there was a war in the middle east? And thousands of people got killed?...

So did we lose it?



.


[edit on 21-10-2008 by Sator]



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join