It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. troops buying own armor for Iraq duty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
(AP) -- Soldiers headed for Iraq are still buying their own body armor -- and in many cases, their families are buying it for them -- despite assurances from the military that the gear will be in hand before they're in harm's way.

Body armor distributors have received steady inquiries from soldiers and families about purchasing the gear, which can cost several thousand dollars. Though the military has advised them not to rely on third-party suppliers, many soldiers say they want it before they deploy.

Last October, it was reported that nearly one-quarter of American troops serving in Iraq did not have ceramic plated body armor, which can stop bullets fired from assault rifles and shrapnel.

www.cnn.com...

The military says the shortfall is over and soldiers who do not yet have the armor soon will. But many want to avoid the risk.

Dan Britt paid about $1,400 for body armor for his son, a medic stationed in Kuwait who had orders to move into Baghdad. He recently heard his son received it.

"In war, as we've learned through all our history, who gets killed and who doesn't is just happenstance," said the father from Hamilton, Ohio. "But if I can raise the odds, then I'll feel better."

One of the richest countries in the world, and our soldiers are spending thier own money and families money for protection that they should have before ever stepping off of a plane or boat !

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, a nice portion of those people are too big to use Military Issue armor. I heard it on the Barry Farber show, I believe. The armor covers their chest, but not all of their gut. I doubt a quarter of them are too big, but there may be some other reasons why they don't have it.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The are talking Marines Too and I can tell you there isnt a fat Marine. This isnt the LAPD , these guys bust there asses. I would like to see real stats on this (fattness) of our Army, Marines , Navy I bet this is mostly Left Left Wing Propaganda. No offense to you. Just I would like to search out some facts on this.

It is very troubling though, that not every one of our troops have it. There is probably more to this than we know though.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I know that when I was in the military, there were definitly more "small" people than " big " people...

I don't completely buy the " too large " for the gear theory, but I guess it could be ...

yeah , some research is probably in order, however I'm short on time today... maybe next week..

Ra

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Although a few of our regulars who normally are not issued body armour are also going w/o.

The reserves were shipped into theater w/o body armour since most are not issued until manuevers for the weekend warriors but since so many were mobilized for this Iraq oil war there were not enough units to go around.

Many parents and spouses were doing bake sales and garage sales to raise funds to purchase body armour for their loved ones!!!

Personally I find this to be an abomination by the bushonian cabal, sending our young people into a hostile invironment unprepared and ill-equipped to contend with the muslim extremist that shrub taunted to "bring it on!".

My nephew is an Army tanker and he stated in a letter home that shrub should put his own arse out there w/o the body armour in the middle of Bagdad city and yell out "Bring it on!"!!!

What a putz!!!!!!!!!!

IMPEACH BUSH NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

TAKE BACK AMERICA FOR AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
OK, geez Ra, takin' things a little to far yet again.

Anyway, anyone who was in the service (more importantly the infantry) knows that there are shortages and logistical issues with every campaign ever carried out.

Sometimes timelines are in place and too much manpower and money has been spent to turn back.

I addition, I always wore the crappy old flak jackets left over from Korea and you never heard us complaining.

join