It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cobb police add tank to arsenal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Cobb police add tank to arsenal

www.ajc.com

Don’t be surprised to see an Army tank rolling down a street near you.

The Cobb County police department has refurbished a donated Armored Personnel Carrier for officers to use in SWAT situations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
One does not have to be brilliant to figure out that this is going to be common place in our local towns as America takes it's turn for the worse.

Though I have moved my family to a small rural community in the mountains, I still worry deeply for family I have in the larger cities of NY.

I'm sure the police have garnered there share of these wonderful deterrents to civil unrest.

www.ajc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit for grammar

[edit on 15-10-2008 by Tapped In]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Tapped In

I'm sure they're all just itching for a chance to use their new toy on the people they police. Hoping they give them a reason.

So the Army is donating military equipment to local police now?

Interesting

I wonder how much more of this we can expect.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Incitatus

I really don't like to ponder further down this trail, but it's not hard to figure out based on current events and what promise the government has in store for us.

I actually feel like moving to an even more remote area... That is if I were actually able to sell my house.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It seems to be a scare tactic. Too bad that thing is probably a big fluffy marshmallow.

Tougher coconuts have been cracked than this. Just ask someone who was around for the French resistance over half a century ago.

The key is in preparation.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hiatus

I'm definitely NOT looking to take a crack at these... I prepare simply by making sure my family has enough of what it needs during the hard times to come.

I'll leave that stuff to someone who doesn't have 4 children to take care of.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Okay...

number 1. ITS NOT A TANK!

number 2. Its nothing new especially with SWAT.

number 3. Which would you trade for when you need to help rescue civilians/police officers underfire by heavily armed gunmen with possible AP rounds? A police car with hardly any protection, or a freaking heavily armored vehicle that laughs in the face of danger?

[edit on 15-10-2008 by deltaboy]

[edit on 15-10-2008 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It is all about power and intimidation.

I wonder which city will be the first to purchase its own fighter jet.

Bombs away.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
As stated before, it is not a tank. It's just an APC.

It's somewhat common for SWAT teams to have an APC. Have you guys never seen the SWAT tv shows? Detroit SWAT, Houston SWAT?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

In an effort to halt gang violence, LAPD SWAT have deployed a B-52 Stratofortress on regular street patrols.

really.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
These things are not as cool as they seem.

Just wait till they try to actually USE it on a crowd....they are way easier to stop in their tracks than you would think! All you gotta do is throw your Molotov cocktails down the vents! That will keep em' busy for a few!

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
no news here. the LAPD has had these since the 80's. to my knowledge they've never been abused. to me it seems like a small town police department wants to be on par with the big boys.

Hey Deltaboy,

Check out any recent articles on the Santa Monica Police Department. I just read an article on them in one of the major gun magazines the other day at barnes and noble it was their october issue. thses guys are truly first rate. Each and every officer gets an AR-15s women included, some senior officers have G35's.

And all of their pistols are top notch! Each and every officer. They do twice to three times the training on their weapons.

The coolest part. due to their high rates of practice with these rifles they are considering making them all fully silenced. for practice at the range and for when deployed to mitigate hearing damage, and to not scare the hell out of the neighborhood with loud gun shots.

the best part about the SMPD. the city is nearly immaculate, crime is low. and the cops are actually friendly there. Besides SM past laws last year making certain illicit plants their absolute lowest priority. these same cops with their AR-15's are supposed to go after a jaywalker before they go after some dude smoking said illicit substance. not condoning the use of such things but it's interesting to point out that these seriously armed officers also have a laid back perspective that seems to work. Don't get me wrong they will arrest you for doing something worthy of an arrest. SM is a very nice place to live. Just goes to show what hiring confident non insecure, and highly trained officers will do for your city.

And no I don't think they are arming up and training for some military police scenario.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Since when is an APC considered a tank?

SWAT has been using armoured vehicles for several years, and this isn't the first armoured vehicle that can fire tear gas either.

I'm as concerned about police state tactics as you guys, but we have to draw the line somewhere. Not everything is a move against us.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
... underfire by heavily armed gunmen with possible AP rounds? A police car with hardly any protection, or a freaking heavily armored vehicle that laughs in the face of danger? ...

If they can get AP rounds, they can get an RPG.

They don't want to use this stuff on "heavly armed gunmen", they want to use it on civilians.

$20 say they use it for serving warrants. I'll pay 2-1 odds that they end up using it in the next year to serve a warrant for a NON-VIOLENT offense.

Any takers?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
That thing is nothing compared to this one!

(I started a thread on this HERE!)

Here's the article and a picture.

Sheriff Lott's New Toy

The Richland County, South Carolina Sheriff's Department (that's them above) just obtained an armored personnel carrier, complete with a belt-fed, .50-cal turreted machine gun. Sheriff Leon Lott has charmingly named the vehicle "The Peacemaker," and insists that using a caliber of ammunition that even the U.S. military is reluctant to use against human targets (it's generally reserved for use against armored vehicles) will "save lives."

I like this part,

"using a caliber of ammunition that even the U.S. military is reluctant to use against human targets (it's generally reserved for use against armored vehicles) will "save lives."

A .50 caliber round can pass through a couple of house and nearly cut a person in half, yet it will save lives! This kind of gun wasn't meant to be used for law enforcement, it was meant to be used in military settings, where hordes of people may be attacking you and you can shoot them from, what I understand, a mile or more away if need be!

This caliber machine gun should NEVER be used in city or even rural areas due to the fact that this bullet can travel such large distances, go threw structures, and keep going.

Can you hear the "police state" clanking down the road yet?

Looks a little to "military" too me!

[edit on 10/15/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Stop an army APC? M113 i presume? Well, they have many problems. Not surprised the army gave it away. haha....

ventilation is crap. The ventilation sucks air in from the outside....and any smoke or dust in too. haha..

its a rolling oven....seriously. We all came out drenched.

thread tearing is a real problem, get a solid rock abt the size of ur fist or head and jam it between the roadwheels and the tracks and you'll tear or atleast dislodge the tracks. Unless they switched to a newer system that is more tolerant. I sat the Old 113.

Does not float on water, contrary to what you see. It has pumps to pump water out and we called it 'delayed sinking'. =)

ok, I have to admit that the 113 for crime fighting is a little over kill but it'll probably be the only thing that'll stand up to .50 rifles unless its the old 113 w/o the refit. Heck, its probably free anyways that's why they took it.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Some 50 cal. might even make it through the armor of even a m113.

A sabot 50 cal. would. not sure how civilians would ever get one of those though but they exist.

the APC for swat doesn't bother me. now if they mount machine guns on it then I'm a little skeptical as to it's intended uses.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

for firing large pepper balls? rubber bullets? Firing blanks to scare? Tracers to warn?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Heh, you kidding me? Atlanta needs an entire mechanized division. That place has spiraled into a cesspool, like most large U.S. cities. We're still trying to find a way for the rest of the state to secede from Atlanta.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
seems that USA is preparing to commit massive genocides against its own citizens

<<   2 >>

join