It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent Applause?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
i think that it would be a really neat idea, that in the Recent Applause section on ATS that you could click on the person's name in order to view the post or thread that they have recieved the applause for. would this be possible at all? has anyone thought of this already?

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I miss the good old days of when you could see whether a person had warnings under their avatar, and could actually click on this to go to the offending post.

I still never found out why this feature was actually removed?

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
I miss the good old days of when you could see whether a person had warnings under their avatar, and could actually click on this to go to the offending post.

I still never found out why this feature was actually removed?

probably so it wouldn't advertise the people in a negative way. if i saw someone with a lot of warnings i doubt i would read too much into what they're saying. also, having a link to that warned post would just promote this negative even more...

as for a link to the applause, i would think it would be benefitting that user. i know you could use the sreach function, but if the person is consistent with good posts and makes a lot in the time span you may not know which post has recieved applause.

also, maybe some sort of icon could appear in the title bar of the posts for people just casually reading? then that would attract attention to that being a relevant and informitive post.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
as for a link to the applause, i would think it would be benefitting that user. i know you could use the sreach function, but if the person is consistent with good posts and makes a lot in the time span you may not know which post has recieved applause.

Well if what your opinion is about the warning system is true, then I if you can's show a member in a negative way then I don't see why I member should be allowed to be promoted in a positive way.

It works both ways...

I've had warnings in the past and I couldn't care less if people thought less of me by them or not. I'd hope that by seeing the offending post they could at least understand why I reacted the way I did.
If you see that the person did in fact have something idiotic to say, then that's actually good for the reader to know.

[Edited on 26-3-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Where on ATS do we view the recent applause? Although I am fairly confident Im not on the list, it would nice to see who is. Please advise.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   

... has anyone thought of this already?

Hi ckk!!

As for whether this has been mentioned before - sorry, I've no idea I'm afraid
One of the "older" (in terms of length of service, not necessarily chronologically!!) Mods or Admins would be able to advise I'm sure??

I'm picking up on what you suggest abour the "Applause" log - and how it could signposts "excellent" posts: I really have no idea either about the mechanism of doing this (Skeptical Overlord is the "bees knees" of course!!) but rather that the "thread voting"/ Likert scale was introduced as a way of flagging which ever posts members felt "significant". However, I'm not sure how effective this is - when I vote a thread there's usually only 3 or 4 votes been cast in total...

I know that that doesn't answer your question ckk but at least it "bumps" you're question up the board!!

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Well if what your opinion is about the warning system is true, then I if you can's show a member in a negative way then I don't see why I member should be allowed to be promoted in a positive way.

It works both ways...

i hadn't thought of it in that light... but if you don't think that a member should be promoted in a positive way, then why not get rid of the Recent Applause tab all together? that still is promoting the user... and i think that the link would more promote the users response, thoughts, or thread more than the user himself or herself. while the Recent Applause tab does nothing but just promote the user.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamrebel
Where on ATS do we view the recent applause?

hi dr!!

Have a look at the Home page here

Look down the left hand frame, just above "Staff" panel and you'll see:

Recent Applause
smirkley worldwatcher Masonic Light amantine dbates lilblam AlnilamOmega amantine cmdrkeenkid mOjOm spacedoubt Trance

Hope that helps?

[Edited on 26-3-2004 by Genya]

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Thanks Geyna.. You da bomb diggity dong!!

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   

then why not get rid of the Recent Applause tab all together?

I actually don't know what you're referring to by the "recent applause tab"? I haven't been too observent of the board lately, where is this?

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I actually don't know what you're referring to by the "recent applause tab"? I haven't been too observent of the board lately, where is this?

left side, seventh tab down, between "Our Newest Members" and "ATS Staff."

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Oh right hehe, well I've never looked at that in my life so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I agree with you cmdrkeenkid. I have wanted to be able to know what people are getting applauded for.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
if you really want to know which posts got the applause, you could always ask the person who got it...

mine was the H.I.M Haile Selassie - Rastafarian Christ thread. hope that helps in your quest.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Oh right hehe, well I've never looked at that in my life so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

... and you've been a member here for how long? nearly a year? you're an ATSNN reporter, shouldn't you be observant?
(just giving you a hard time, no offense intended)

what do you think of this tab though? that it does good for those users? wouldn't it work better if it did have a link to the post or thread? and do you think that the warning posting below avatars should be brought back then?

Originally posted by worldwatcher
if you really want to know which posts got the applause, you could always ask the person who got it...

i had thought of that too, but that's a lot of u2u's to send out and time to take... especially with the flood controlling.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

... and you've been a member here for how long? nearly a year? you're an ATSNN reporter, shouldn't you be observant?
(just giving you a hard time, no offense intended)

what do you think of this tab though? that it does good for those users? wouldn't it work better if it did have a link to the post or thread? and do you think that the warning posting below avatars should be brought back then?

LOL!!! Ha! No offense taken, you're right. I guess I just don't spend to much time on the home page, that isn't where the content is.

Now that I've seen it though, I'm wondering why it's there at all really? If it's to promote the member then yes you are right, maybe it should have a link to the post as the definately makes sense.

However, if I was aware of it a while ago I would've asked for the warnings to be reinstated or ask for for Admin to reconsider having the recent applause section. It should be both ways or not at all.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
So, we're not able to see Warnings anymore? Was wondering about that... Thought everybody had become gentle lol...

Hey, hadn't noticed that tab neither.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I vaguely remember discussion on this issue.

Warnings have been found to be more effective if they are between the warned member and staff.Warnings are not meant to be a form of public castigation.The purpose is not to mark a member down but to show that staff are serious.Some attention seeking members seemed to think that getting as many warns as possible showed how "bad" they were.That has stopped.

The applause function is a matter of individual staff opinion.Members who are applauded know they have been applauded.As Wordwatcher said you can always ask the applauded member.Some members might complain about why so-and-so's post was applauded and their one was not when it is not a science it is just an opinion of staff.Turning an pleasant opportunity for staff to pat members on the back into a pain in the butt.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

probably so it wouldn't advertise the people in a negative way. if i saw someone with a lot of warnings i doubt i would read too much into what they're saying. also, having a link to that warned post would just promote this negative even more...

I think it would put folks in a negative light. Everyone probably gets warned from time to time. Esp. when you're new and don't know the ropes well (like me, LOL).
It seems to me if someone is on the road to being banned for getting many warnings or whatever, most posters would know.
I was brand new here and I could tell that one person's posts were, shall we say, eccentric? I think most can determine by the content who they won't pay much attention to.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Staff members are able to see a running log of all applause... with links to the posts that received the applause. Let me consider the best overall method to keep members appraised of which posts receive applause.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join