It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA and The Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Yeah well, aren't we all so sick of "Bible" stories and how bad the church is and what BS the bible is. However, perhaps something interesting for a change?

NASA & THE BIBLE

Thought this was pretty amazing and interesting!! For all the scientists out there, and for all the students who have a hard time convincing these people regarding the truth of the Bible, here's something that shows God's awesome creation, and that He is still in control.

Did you know that the space program is busy proving that what has been called A "myth " in the Bible is true? Mr. Harold Hill, President of the Curtis Engine Company in Baltimore, Maryland, and a consultant in the space program, relates the following development. I think one of the most amazing things that God has done for us today happened recently to our astronauts and space scientists at Green Belt, Maryland.

They were checking out where the positions of the sun, moon, and planets would be 100 years and 1,000 years from now.. We have to know this so we won't send up a satellite and have it bump into something later on in its orbits. We have to lay out the orbits in terms of the life of the satellite and where the planets will be so the whole thing will not bog down.

They ran the computer measurement back and forth over the centuries, and it came to a halt. The computer stopped and put up a red signal, which meant that there was something wrong with either the information fed into it or with the results as compared to the standards.

They called in the service department to check it out, and they said, 'What's wrong?' Well, they found there is a day missing in space in elapsed time. They scratched their heads and tore their hair out.. There was no answer. Finally, a Christian man on the team said, 'You know, one time I was in Sunday School, and they talked about the sun standing still.'

While they didn't believe him, they didn't have an answer either, so they said, 'Show us, ' He got a Bible and went to the book of Joshua where they found a pretty ridiculous statement for any one with 'common sense.'! There they found the Lord saying to Joshua,'Fear them not, I have delivered them into thy hand; there shall not a man of them stand before Thee.' Joshua was concerned because he was surrounded by the enemy! And if darkness fell, they would overpower them. So Joshua asked the Lord to make the sun stand still! That's right.. 'The sun stood still and the moon stayed and lasted not to go down about a whole day!' (Joshua 10:12-13)

The astronauts and scientists said, There is the missing day! They checked the computers going back into the time it was written and found it was close but not close enough. The elapsed time that was missing back in Joshua's day was 23 hours and 20 minutes, not a whole day. They read the Bible, and there it was about [approximately] a day. These little words in the Bible are important, but they were still in trouble because if you cannot account for 40 minutes, you'll still be in trouble 1000 years from now. Forty minutes had to be found because it can be multiplied many times over in orbits.

As the Christian employee thought about it, he remembered somewhere in the Bible where it said the sun went BACKWARDS. The scientists told him he was out of his mind, but they got out the Book and read these! words in 2 Kings that told of the following story: Hezekiah, on his death bed, was visited by the prophet Isaiah who told him that he was not going to die. Hezekiah asked for a sign as proof. Isaiah said, 'Do you want the sun to go ahead 10 degrees?' Hezekiah said, 'It is nothing for the sun to go ahead 10 degrees, but let the shadow return backward 10 degrees. Isaiah spoke to the Lord, and the Lord brought the shadow ten degrees BACKWARD! Ten degrees is exactly 40 minutes! Twenty-three hours and 20 minutes in Joshua, plus 40 minutes in Second Kings make the missing day in the universe! Isn't it amazing? References: Joshua 10:8 and 12,13 and 2 Kings 20:9-11.

Hmmmmmmm... anyways; imagine if he could do this what he is capable of

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Could you post the link to the story ?
That is a pretty impressive story and I would find it very interesting to to see the report or the findings from NASA .

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This story is urban legend.

Folks have been awestruck by the "missing day" legend since 1936, when the story emerged into popular culture via a book by Harry Rimmer, titled The Harmony of Science and Scripture. In it, Rimmer cited an 1890 book as his proof of the calculations behind the tale. Scholars dismissed Rimmer's claims as baseless, but despite the authoritative debunkings of the time and in the years since, the legend thrives. Indeed, the Internet has given it new legs; spreading it to new audiences is as easy as clicking the 'forward' button.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
-_- not saying i have my serious doughts but something like this would have been a massive wtf to science and it would be publisised all over the place as they race around to find an explanation

where do they say the 24 hour period that the earth stopped spinning was israel in the relevant position ...

and no external source link ............

also as they were checking future references for satelite orbits why would they look back wards? why did they look 100 and 1000 years back and notice somthing that happened allegedly over 3000 years ago

so what your thing is actually saying is that god decided to stop the earth spinning for a whole day so 1 side of the earth has 24 hours of day light sometime in the next(future) 1000 years which will in some way help Joshua over 3000 years in the past,

not only that but he decided to show how powerful he is by moving the sun backwards 10 degree's but that wont happen until some time after the 1000 year future earth stop spinning event and that will prove how powerful he was to people who have been dead for over 3000 years?

and then the Nasa personal regrew a new leg and the x-rays will be on the webnext week

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Thanks dbates! I was going to place it in Skunk Works but i wasn't sure where it should go...

I thought it was a "good story"... Perhaps should have placed in skunkworks but Folk Tales and Urban Legends is perfect hehehe

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

I posted it from a PDF i received. Was interesting enough to post but i in no way, personally, say there is any fact to it lol... Like i said above, was aiming for Skunk Works but posted in Religious conspiracies.

Interesting none the less LOL

I was still busy looking into info to post so i will add this:

According to the laws of physics, there are only two possible explanations for having the Sun stand still in the sky for a day: (1) the Earth would essentially have to stop spinning on its axis...for which there is no evidence. -or- (2) the Sun would have to start moving about in the solar system in a very specific way so that it appeared to us on our spinning Earth to be standing still. There is no evidence of this occurring either.

I was wondering how many people got this - dbates beat me to the punch by adding his info.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The events as described in the Bible could very well have happened, but there would be no way that we would notice this in the present. We would have needed a marker before the events to measure that they happened.

Good story. I can see how it gets repeated as fact. It's just not possible to determine what is referenced.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Absolutely! I think we all get inundated with these sorts of emails and considering being a member of ATS when one seens NASA and the Bible in one sentence it is a reason to read it

But you are right, there would have needed to be a marker of some sort.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Hey.

As Dbates pointed out, the 'missing day' discovered by NASA is an urban legend. However, the below video series is the real deal.
It's a 65 minute special divided up into 7 parts (due to You Tube video size limits). To save some time, you can fast forward through the first few minutes. It just shows an introduction how the host came up with the idea to research it.

He uses NASA, the discovery of Johannes Kepler, and ancient texts to plot the movement of celestial bodies during the time of Christ. It's fascinating and should help remove any doubts you may have that Jesus is Lord.

Video 1 | Video 2 | Video 3 | Video 4 | Video 5 | Video 6 | Video 7

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I love how your post goes from "We're so sick of the Bible" to

"Wow imagine if he could do this what he is capable of"

Your state of mind is what is TRULY sickening, there is nothing to me sickening about the Bible except people's behaviors towards God.

This mode of thinking is so standard for atheists and agnostics. One minute completely tearing down God to "oh well maybe we don't know everything" the next.

You know, if Zombies are real one day, and we kill them all and blow them up to smithareens.

Then, a few years pass, and people are like "You know, Zombies aren't real. That's fairy tale stuff"

IT DOESN'T mean Zombies aren't real. Things aren't REAL one day and then NOT real the next.

Pick a plan and stick with it for Jesus' sake.

Likewise, if you have an encounter spiritually or a demon. Why do so many then say it's not real because the majority of their time is spent NOT experiencing these things?

If you experience it ONE time, just ONE... then it's real. Things don't become real then become then not real.

Oh, they do? When? Nope.

Even if you had just one experience with such things, you can't spend the rest of your life saying it isn't real. That is not logical. That's like visiting the great wall of china one time then saying it's not real because you only saw it once.

Silliness!

top topics

join