It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News Media Complicity and UFOs with Terry Hansen.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Very interesting presentation by Terry Hansen dealing with how the corporate media 'handles' the UFO subject:

"A mesmerizing account of his investigation into whether some of America's most influential news organizations, many having maintained close ties to the U.S. intelligence community, have willingly suppressed full and accurate news coverage of extraterrestrial related phenomena for a variety of "national-security" reasons. Hansen reveals the remarkable and persistent difference in UFO-related news coverage exhibited by local and national news organizations and reviews the history of censorship and propaganda during the twentieth century and the evidence for media-government collusion over the course of the half-century-long UFO controversy.

Terry Hansen is an independent journalist with an interest in scientific controversies and the politics of mass media. He is author of The Missing Times: News Media Complicity in the UFO Cover-up. He has organized and moderated two symposiums about the science and politics of UFO research for the Science Museum of Minnesota. Hansen holds a bachelor’s degree in biology and a master’s degree in science journalism, both from the University of Minnesota. He was a founding partner of KFH Publications, Inc., a Seattle computer-magazine publishing company. This presentation covers some of the more recent and important stories that have been suppressed by the media cartels and powers-that-be. "

edit on 29-6-2014 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
thx for the tip *off to watch*

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta

Have a good one.

If you've not seen it before 'Orwell rolls in his grave' is also a great film and features some extremely revealing interviews with high ranking news editors and CEO's of corporate media outlets.

"Could a media system, controlled by a few global corporations with the ability to overwhelm all competing voices, be able to turn lies into truth?

I don't think George would have been too impressed.

Cheers.
edit on 29-6-2014 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Star and flag.

I think this is a good thread because I have this book and it is very well written. This book should be a staple in everyone's UFO collection. Have a skeptical friend? The Missing Times is the book I would point them to.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
reply to post by karl 12

Star and flag.

I think this is a good thread because I have this book and it is very well written. This book should be a staple in everyone's UFO collection. Have a skeptical friend? The Missing Times is the book I would point them to.

Scramjet, thanks for the reply -I've not read the book yet but it's certainly on the Xmas list.

Terry Hansen appears very knowledgeable, objective and articulate -he also seems to be very persistent which can only be a good thing.
Some of his factual research into the history of UFO propaganda is truly eyeopening and I think you're right about everyone needing to be aware of his work.
Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Before the Roswell crash, flying saucers and disc sightings were reported in the papers. Even the military and intelligence communities did not care. After the crash, the military started to cover up the stories. Anyone who reported anything was called a crackpot or town drunk.

Thank you for the link to this interesting idea.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008
reply to post by karl 12

Thank you for the link to this interesting idea.

Kidflash, thanks for the reply - I don't know if you've seen it but theres a great thread by Cashlink below which lists 25 methods of suppressing the truth:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They do seem quite familiar and it appears many (if not all) of these techniques are also employed by certain people when addressing the UFO subject.
Cheers.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta

Did you find it interesting?
or

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The UFO conspiracy, (goes back to Tesla), has been funded since Truman.
Forestall knew about it as Dulles needed more defense funding after WWII
and kept on saying his figures were wrong.
Ain't that the boss for you.
They have plenty of propaganda funding cause free energy UFOs will
sink the economy even lower.
So expect more and more UFO news and explanations.
UFOs are natural and spectacular.
But you can't touch the free energy so we must be fed stories.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Wow. Thanks so much for posting this this link Karl 12. I LOVE videos like this one and have never seen it nor even heard of it before. Great thread. S & F.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
Wow. Thanks so much for posting this this link Karl 12. I LOVE videos like this one and have never seen it nor even heard of it before.

Malcram -glad you liked it

Theres another good one of him here speaking in 2008 and he makes some very astute points about the corporate media and the CIA.
Cheers.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Great video. It's the cliff's notes of his book, which I highly recommend. Although I think there was some new information in this video.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Schaden

Schaden, thanks for the reply

There's some more comments about his book 'Missing times' at this site:

When UFOs Appear,
National News Agencies Fall Silent...

In late 1975, newspapers across the state of Montana reported dramatic sightings of unidentified flying objects (UFOs). The UFOs displayed particular interest in the nuclear-tipped Intercontental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs) deployed around Great Falls, home of Malmstrom Air Force Base. Although these mysterious sightings continued for months and were widely reported and discussed regionally, they were ignored by national-level news organizations. Why? Was this sensational news story suppressed for "national security" reasons? Is this even possible in our media-saturated society? Just how has censorship worked in the past? Are the national news organizations really independent of the national-security state? How and under what circumstances do they cooperate?

"I . . . helped organize the CBS TV show around the Robertson Panel's conclusions."
Dr. Thornton Page, CIA official (1966)

By the late 1940s, UFOs were a major news story and a public-relations hot potato for government authorities. Following a massive wave of UFO activity in 1952, the CIA decided it was time to suppress public interest in the subject via a covert, mass-media program of "training and debunking." The Missing Times provides solid evidence that this program was carried out, often with the silent cooperation of national news organizations. It is likely still being carried out today.

"UFOs were seen more frequently around areas vital to the defense of the United States. The Los Alamos-Albuquerque area, Oak Ridge, and White Sands Proving Ground rated high. Port areas, Strategic Air Command bases, and industrial areas ranked next."
Edward J. Ruppelt, Head of Project Blue Book (1956)

Understanding Media Deceptions

The Missing Times explains how and why major news organizations have worked covertly with the U.S. government to manage public opinion about "national security" issues for nearly a century, but especially since World War II when journalists and spies became best of friends. Today, there may be little difference between major news organizations and the U.S. military/intelligence establishment when it comes to national-security issues. If you ever wondered why the subject of UFOs disappeared from the front pages of the nation's newspapers and became a virtual journalistic taboo, read The Missing Times.

"I do know that the CIA and the U.S. government have been concerned over the UFO phenomenon for many years and that their attempts, both past and recent, to discount the significance of the phenomenon and to explain away the apparent lack of official interest in it have all the earmarks of a classic intelligence cover-up".
Victor Marchetti.
former executive assistant to the deputy director, CIA (1979)

Link

Cheers.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Thank you very much Karl. This is a great video. I want to know more about this topic

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hot_Wings
Thank you very much Karl. This is a great video. I want to know more about this topic

Hotwings -you're certainly welcome and it certainly is an interesting subject.

There are some other links below dealing with the coporate media's treatment of the UFO phenomenon and I think Terry Hansen pretty much hits the nail on the head with his comments in the first video.

Media Manipulation

Large audience media are constantly dismissing UFOs. When you look into the way UFO related information is presented in the large audience media, you can easily find that biased, truncated and untrue information, to say the least, is presented. Here is one example among many. It is actually almost impossible, though not totally impossible, to find example of mass media publications providing a fair insight into the UFO phenomenon.

Link

Related links:
www.ufoevidence.org...
www.bibleufo.com...
www.oregonmufon.com...

Cheers.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Interesting (and relevant) declassified government document dealing with 'how to explain UFOs to the public':

HOW TO "EXPLAIN" UFOS TO THE PUBLIC:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b417c035bb0c.jpg[/atsimg]

This is an early policy document focused on a strategy for "explaining" UFOs to the public and "working" with the media.

For example:

"...for those times where the object is not explainable, it would be well to advise your people to say something on this order. "The information on this sighting will be analyzed by the Air Technical Intelligence Center at Dayton, Ohio," and leave it at that..."

REFERENCES:
Title: RE: concerning the "Unidentified Flying Object Program"
To: Brigadier General W. M. Burgess, USAF Air Defense Command
Author: Colonel George E. Perry, USAF, Directorate of Intelligence.
Date: 23 December 23, 1953
Classification: CONFIDENTIAL

www.ufologie.net...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Paul Kimball discusses UFO reporting and cultural bias in the media:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

great video

he makes many valid points regarding the media

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Excellent, thanks for the video. S&F.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by tim1989]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The main stream news media is incompetent, it's as simple as that. The UFO story is hardly the only one they've had their head wedged where the sun don't shine on.

What did they have about terrorism before 9/11?

What did they have about the credit crash before last fall?

What do they bring about Brazil's attaining energy independence?

Where were they on the run up to the Iraq war?

They're important because they keep saying they're important and enough people believe them. They aren't watchdogs, they're out of touch fat cats.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join