It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water filtering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Water Purification

Water purification

"In most parts of the world, surface water is seldom pure. When finding water, always purify suspect water before drinking to avoid parasitic infestation. However, water collected from the atmosphere, or from plants or ground stills, has the enormous advantage of always being pure."

"There are five basic contaminants; turbidity, parasitic worms, bacteria, viruses and chemicals."

Wilderness water filtering:

"How to make a water
filter in the wilderness

You need to know how to make a water filter if you face the fact that the only water you can find is dirty muddy water. When you filter water you remove all "visual" particles from the water.

There are a number of different ways to filter dirty water. One simple way to make your own water filter is to use sand and gravel."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[edit on 12-10-2008 to include quick link to purification by HugmyRek]

[edit on 12-10-2008 by HugmyRek]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Hiya Hug and welcome to ATS.

Thanks for sharing the information; the website itself seems to have quite a bit of general survival info -- stuff that we should definately be familiar with.

Filtration -- as you said, some is better than none. There's a little bottle of crystallized iodine called Polar Pure -- www.campingsurvival.com... ...... it can kill most water-borne pathogens, and can do so for 500 gallons. All in a little glass bottle that only costs about $10.00. Always a good thing to have. With the homemade filtration system you outlined and some critter killin' afterward, that's a pretty good bet.

If one has the fuel, boiling is usually best after rough filtration of water with visible sediment.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
On top of filtering water you also should know how to clean water. In Boy Scouts i was always told to boil water (when you're lost) just in case it's carrying something crazy. Boiling it gets a good majority of the unhealthy bacteria away.

edit to add: purifying the water (an essential) can be found within the op's link, which is what i was referring to when i mentioned boiling the water. Check the link in the link for proper info!

[edit on 11-10-2008 by screamo]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

reply to post by screamo

HI! Good points, I'll update the origional post to head to the purification basics first. I would have naturally have gone strait for the glacier water...which it says is bad. :-)

The iodine crystals I will definately have to pickup to have on hand. No boy scouts here..

Survival water is only one of my concerns. I can't trust what's coming through the tap. Between industry wastes, my lack of city waterworks savy, and the unknown condition of the pipes; I don't even trust bathing in in the stuff-but I'm lazy.

top topics

join