It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we no longer need men! Or why Parthenogenesis is cool!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Sex isn't the ONLY thing men and women are for!? What a crappy way to look at life.

Men and women have MANY reasons to exist, a world with only men or a world with only women would be a crappy place.

The way "some" women like to go around and be sexist towards men and think nothing is wrong with that, annoys me because they always get away with it.

I love men and women, and no I'm not bi sexual

[edit on 10-10-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Please Folks.

Since this IS the Sci/Tech Forum let's try to stick to that focus.

Granted the TIC attention grabbing title may be a little out of said focus, but the first post set the direction, no ?

In a study reported Friday in the Journal of Fish Biology, scientists said DNA testing proved that a pup carried by a female blacktip shark in a Virginia aquarium contained no genetic material from a male.

Virgin birth has been proven in some bony fish, amphibians, reptiles and birds, and has been suspected among sharks in the wild.

"It is possible that parthenogenesis could become more common in these sharks if population densities become so low that females have trouble finding mates," said Mahmood Shivji, one of the scientists and director of the Guy Harvey Research Institute at Nova Southeastern University in Florida.

Let's try not to stray too far from the Sci/Tech side of the discussion, from here on out please.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

In your initial post, you said men are 'much better at killing than women'

also, that if men 'lose their loving feeling' they would revert back to cave-man eras and start beating, raping and dragging by the hair'.

Personally I think the thread topic is a non-issue for many reasons, but just wanted to clarify what you failed to see in my post

Men are 'better at killing', you say ?

Maybe they are. Not really keen to put it to the test because like most, I feel that when things are running well, men and women complement each other .. make a great partnership. And when all's said and done, that's what it comes down to between a man and woman .. a partnership, trust, friendship -- a unit.

However, my response to your initial post specified three or so areas where women have the advantage:

* during sex/male orgasm
* during the infancy and childhood of males
*during males' older, feeble years, including sickness
* oh .. and as cooks of men's food

during each and all of the above, women could kill men dead

But they don't.

Instead of grasping their advantage and repaying men for often brutal repression and violence, etc., women nevertheless:

* do not slaughter men when they are weakest, i.e. during sex/orgasm
* when males are tiny, defenceless creatures and totally at the mercy of their mothers
* when men are at the other end of the spectrum and are old, frail and/or sick
* do not poison men's food

Most women do not regard males as merely ornamental or sex toys. Clearly, as so many men who do not possess the above attributes nevertheless find love from a loyal, caring and supportive female who think the world of them.

I like to believe that men and women and the partnerships they forge, are what keep this world spinning and give subsequent generations hope.

A world comprised of only one sex would, in my opinion, be a disaster. I wouldn't want to be part of it, that's for sure. As a woman, being surrounded by only females would depress the daylights out of me. You see it in something as simple as a hen's night. No matter how much fun you may have had with your female companions, all it takes is the sound of even an elderly man's laughter to make you realise what the night lacked.

We're not sharks. Women are never going to begin breeding in a male-less society. The thread's a non-issue, really

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kupoliveson

I love men. Though they can be annoying. I love my husband and I couldn't live without him. I also love love love sex and want to share making a baby with my husband and any woman who wants to have a 'virgin' birth....well ....I'm just going to go be the cliche 'if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything'...

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I would say get rid of both women and men...they always bring destruction and imbalance

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   

I am not even going to read the article, the headline is enough. I don't care if we can sneeze and get pregnant, that is not the only reason to have a man in your life. Personally spooning is quite important to me, not to mention all the sweet stuff that leads to! Bah, we, I, need men!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

Agreed ...well they could but that would quickly destroy the balance of the whole species and could lead to disaster (not even talking about gender wars but nature in general)

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on 13-10-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

Sorry, but I just dont agree with some of the things you said

While I like the fact that there are lovely males and lovely females in this world I do think that the world would be better if we would be a little more the same...people keep raving on about how women and men and different...and that creates chaos. If that elderly man with a laugh would have a little more feminine orientated brain and that supermodel a little more masculine brain it would really solve so much!

But ofcourse you cisgendered people dont understand that

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Not the good old grass huts and society would collapse without men argument.What a load of tosh my dears.Men and womens roles have differed in different societies and throughtout history.Of course conditioning has alot to do with it but this sad old tripe gets brought out time and time again in the man vs women argument.There are times and places where women have been fearless warriors eg;Pict women and same goes for men taking feminine roles eg;'pretend birth rituals in Africa.In truth I feel we complement each other.It's various agendas that have twisted and exploited this.
I believe the Op's point was parthogenisis exists,which it does there have been rare recorded cases of virgin births.There was even a little boy in Eastern Europe that had a baby growing inside him .I suppose nature just does the funniest things sometimes.
Ok ,op's argument was a bit polemic suggesting we don't need men but I just have one question about this -Can we keep Johnny Depp for breeding purposes?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Hmm, well don't write us off just yet. I believe one of maybe three things is going on here.

1.) The baby shark is a Chimera and the male DNA resides in an organ not tested. If ya don't know, a short explanation is the fish is it's own twin. It's complicated (should probably Google it).

2.) Fish and amphibians have been known to hold onto sperm for a very, very long time so the "act" may not have been witnessed.

3.) This one is really gonna get your goat
. Fish have been known to change sex according to breeding needs and or rank in a community. I have even witnessed this myself a few times in the common guppy and quite a few times in African Cichlids (fish keeper 20 years). In case there are any fellow fish keepers around, I am not talking juvenile form to adult(specifically in Africans). I read this (& thought BS) long before I ever witnessed it my self. So what I am saying is perhaps your little girls started as little boys. Sperm & eggs reside in the same fish. Somehow the "virgin birth" does not seem so miraculous.

LOL who's the better sex now.

I want my scooby snack for not trolling the heck out of this post

~HYP

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
To the poster who asked what would happen if women in a society that bred parthenogenically gave birth to sons, don't worry, it can't happen.

Only a man can pass on the Y gene.

However it would be a tragedy to lose either sex.
Both men and women can be assholes, but at least having both types keeps life interesting.

As for female competence, a woman can do anything a man can do; mend a car, keep a harem or even pee standing up.
- If she wants.

[edit on 16/10/08 by Kailassa]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Sigh....

Originally posted by Jbird
Please Folks.

Since this IS the Sci/Tech Forum let's try to stick to that focus.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kupoliveson
All I am saying is somebody needs to get a grant and study this! Women of the world unite!

Wait... what!? How does a shark reproducing asexually have anything to do with woman's solidarity? You do realise that this is... a shark? Not a woman... right? Good luck getting it to join your union.

Originally posted by Dock6
When is a man MOST vulnerable? During sex and particularly during orgasm. A woman could kill a man then without much effort at all.

Wait... what!? Well, please let us know how this strategy fares for you. Although I doubt you'll have much access to an internet connection from your prison cell.

Parthenogenesis is pretty cool though. There are a bunch of animals that display this ability, and is a true indicator of mad survival skillz.

I wish the shark and her offspring all the best.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
That's it I'm done! I am taking my manhood and catching the next rocket to the planet of the Amazon Women where I can truly be loved and nurtured.

Oh and to the enlightened woman who earlier spoke about spooning, right on! Oh and don't forget playing toesies any chance you get.

For shame....why we no longer need men....tsk, tsk.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
As Fred Reed has stated, in a world without men "society would last until the next oil change."

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think that women like the OP should come out of the closet, get on with her gay lifestyle, and leave the rest of us alone. We don't need to hear her views. It's too bad that she probably has (had?) a husband. God forbid if she has children - especially sons.

And if you're just being a troll, OP, well, I fed ya.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join