It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama or McCain - The poll that counts - How do we decide ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
In November every four years, I often wonder what people may be thinking as they enter the polling booth and make their vote. And, in spite of all the recent polls, I wondered how many actually change their mind right there at the booth. What makes people finally decide? Will you take one last look before you decide? As for me, the last thing I always think about before I pull the lever or slide the scan card, is how will my vote effect my children. What will my decision mean to them. Will they be safe and stay free. Will I be able to afford the things they will need. I always think again about both candidates before I vote, then with my heart, I vote what I believe is the best for my children. What about you..?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Since Clinton effectively told me "no, you cant have that" in 1994 I've been a one issue voter and will remain so until the day I die. If a (D) would drop the issue from his platform and promise to always defend my right then I would have no problem voting for a (D). I can't really say I'm going to vote for McCain because he mad the promise but I will vote McCain because his and his partys platform do not specifically state they will revert back the dark ages of '94-'04.

It's not a vote for but a vote against.

The first vote I ever cast was based on this issue and so will be the last. Nothing else matters.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Certainly I do... I have yet to be blessed with a child - but I am very optimistic
that the country will get its act together. The future is now and it is upon us!

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Since Clinton effectively told me "no, you cant have that" in 1994 I've been a one issue voter and will remain so until the day I die. If a (D) would drop the issue from his platform and promise to always defend my right then I would have no problem voting for a (D). I can't really say I'm going to vote for McCain because he mad the promise but I will vote McCain because his and his partys platform do not specifically state they will revert back the dark ages of '94-'04.

It's not a vote for but a vote against.

The first vote I ever cast was based on this issue and so will be the last. Nothing else matters.

I'm sorry? DO you mean the 2nd? What was darker about the "dark ages"???

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Since Clinton effectively told me "no, you cant have that" in 1994 I've been a one issue voter and will remain so until the day I die.

What did Clinton say you can't have? I'm confused as to which issue you are referring to.

I have four daughters and of course they play a factor in how I vote. It is because of my children that this particular election has me in 'panic mode'. If Obama wins, all of the hard work and savings that have taken place in my family over multiple generations, could potentially end up being handed over to Uncle Sam for redistribution. That is simply unacceptable.

To work hard and save money so that you can pass it down to future generations, only to have someone step in and say it's not 'fair' that you or your children have a financial advantage and it's time for you to pay up, is ludicrous! This is the United States, not the former U.S.S.R!

My children are young - their ages are 10, 8, 7, 7. We live in California and despite being a very liberal state, (As a conservative I am a minorty ... and as a caucasian I pretty much am too but that's for another thread) the voters already overwhelmingly shot down gay marriage years ago. Yet just a few months ago, the courts ignored the voters and deemed gay marriage legal. This election it will once again be on the ballot and I hope that not only do the voters strike it down once again, but that the voters are listened to and gay marriage goes back in the closet where it belongs. It's already bad enough that I have had to explain to them what homosexuality is at this age (thanks to all of the media revolving the courts decision and the coverage of all of the 'marriages' the day it became legal last June) - I certainly don't want the schools reading them books about how it's 'normal' for men to marry men, women to marry women. As my very precocious 8 year old said - if boys are marrying boys, why can't people marry dogs? Why can't people have more than one one husband/wife? And I agree. You can't accomodate SOME 'alternative' life-styles and not others. I have no problem with gay couples having some sort of official union where they are able to have benefits that are associated with marriage, but it should not be called a 'marriage'.

The results of this election will have more of a direct impact on my children than I am comfortable with and it has me very nervous.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

I'm talking about the entirely useless and wholly oppressive "Assault Weapons Ban."

The Democrats still have it in their party platform to not only reinstate that decade of hell but to prolong it indefinitely. If they would just drop it they would just as much chance for my vote as anyone else. As long as it's on some politicians "to-do" list somewhere it trumps all other issues.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Just to try to bring it back on topic. I really want to know what you think...

Originally posted by Fromabove
In November every four years, I often wonder what people may be thinking as they enter the polling booth and make their vote. And, in spite of all the recent polls, I wondered how many actually change their mind right there at the booth. What makes people finally decide? Will you take one last look before you decide? As for me, the last thing I always think about before I pull the lever or slide the scan card, is how will my vote effect my children. What will my decision mean to them. Will they be safe and stay free. Will I be able to afford the things they will need. I always think again about both candidates before I vote, then with my heart, I vote what I believe is the best for my children. What about you..?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Will you take one last look before you decide?

No. By the time I walk into the booth, I will be completely 100% decided. I'm 99.9% decided now.

I don't have kids, but I do care about the future of my country and the world. I care about humankind. So I vote for who I think will be best for the country and the world.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Why would I change who I was going to vote for in the voting booth. I'm sort of perplexed by the op's question.

I do have a child and of course that factored into my choice, as did my ethics and career.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I am not an american so i have no bias. All i have to say on this is that if we had the opportunity in the UK to vote for Obama, there would be no contest with me. The very reason i myself have not voted in the past is because i had no faith in any of the Parties or their leaders and any that were good would be classed as a wasted vote. If Obama was up for UK elections then he'd get my vote.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I don't want another 4 years of Bush like policies.

I don't really think that either candidate represents me.

So I'm choosing the lesser of two evils.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
To me, this is the first Presidential election that I will not vote for 1 of the two terrible choices.
McCain wins? Things won't be much different.
The only plus here, would be to see how Palin fares, seeing all the negativity towards her.

Obama wins? Things won't be much different.
The only plus here would be to see proof that promises don't always translate into realities.

So, I won't feel guilty at all about voting for a third party..No matter who really wins.

I hope that more voters realize that this might be the prefect time to exercise this ability.

top topics

join