It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Codex Sinaiticus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I just joined as a "member" based on my decision, ( i usually view ATS on my browser regularly not being a member) - Hello to all reading this

I need an answer ,

I have searched Google and Yahoo for the Codex Sinaiticus looking for the pages to read through this book, if you're unaware of the Codex Sinaiticus, they say this most ancient book is dated 1600 years ago and the most ancient Bible (religious book).

I am aware of the information through searching about it, just need to find the actual book itself.

EDITED , to my understanding it can be found online

Thank you. Will check back to this page again as i browse through ATS more.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Gillespie]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Wikipedia:Codex Sinaiticus (Shelfmarks and references: London, Brit. Libr., Additional 43725; Gregory-Aland nº א (Aleph) or 01, Soden δ 2) is one of the most important hand-written ancient copies of the Greek Bible. It was written in the 4th century, in uncial letters. It was found in the 19th century at the Greek Monastery of Mount Sinai, and most of it is today in the British Library.[1] Originally it contained the whole of both Testaments. The Greek Old Testament (or Septuagint) survived almost complete, along with a complete New Testament, plus the Epistle of Barnabas, and portions of The Shepherd of Hermas.[1]

Along with Codex Vaticanus, Codex Sinaiticus is one of the most valuable manuscripts for establishing the original text of the Greek New Testament, as well as the Septuagint. It is the only uncial manuscript with the complete text of the New Testament, and the only ancient manuscript of the New Testament written in four columns per page which has survived to the present day.[1]

Text-type and relationship to other manuscripts

For most of the New Testament, Codex Sinaiticus is in general agreement with Codex Vaticanus and Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus, attesting the Alexandrian text-type. A notable example of an agreement between the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus texts is that they both omit the word εικη ('without cause', 'without reason', 'in vain') from Matthew 5:22.[4]

Only in John 1:1-8:38 Codex Sinaiticus represents different text-type than Vaticanus and any other Alexandrian manuscript. It is in closer agreement with Codex Bezae in support of the Western text-type. F.e. in John 1:3 Sinaiticus and Codex Bezae are only Greek manuscripts with textual wariant εν αυτω ζωη εστιν (in him is life) instead εν αυτω ζωη ην (in him was life). This variant is supported by Vetus Latina and some Sahidic manuscripts. This portion has a large number of corrections.[5] But there is a number of differences between Sinaiticus and Vaticanus. Hoskier enumerated 3036 differences:

Matt – 656
Mark – 567
Luke – 791
John – 1022

Together — 3036.[6]

A large number of these differences is a result of iotacisms, and a different way for a transcription of Hebrew names. These two manuscripts were not written in the same scriptorium. According to Hort Sinaiticus and Vaticanus were derived from a common original much older, "the date of which cannot be later than the early part of the second century, and may well be yet earlier".[7] B. H. Streeter remarked a great agreement between codex and Vulgate of Jerome. According to him Origen brought to Caesarea the Alexandrian text-type which was used in this codex, and used by Jerome.[8]

Since 4th to 12th century worked on this codex 9 correctors and it is one of the most corrected manuscripts.[9] Tischendorf enumerated 14 800 corrections. Besides of this corrections some letters were marked by dot as doubtfull (f.e. ṪḢ). Corrections represent Byzantine text-type, just like in codices Regius (L), Ephraemi (C), and Sangallensis (Δ). They were discovered by Button.[10]

Link
Another link
Yet another link

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Shocka]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
My faviorite book! You can find it at www.codex-sinaiticus.net It may be a difficult read because it is in all Unicials. If you know greek it may be a little easier but still hard. I think they are translating it but keep in mind it wont be 100% accurate because there are some words and or letters that can not be translated. If you have the time and dedication to learn Unicials it is worth every effort made. Good luck!

[edit on 6-10-2008 by freeyourmind1111]

[edit on 6-10-2008 by freeyourmind1111]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Much appreciation to you!

been looking all over the web for it

top topics

join