It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paddy Power taking bets on riots!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
At least someone's got a sense of humour about the Western economy downturn!

The Irish chain of bookmakers, Paddy Power, is now taking bets on riots occurring in Capital cities around the globe because of the economic crisis which begun in the US.

Click

The bookie chain has installed New York as its 9/4 favourite for the first riot, just ahead of Paris at 3/1 with Washington at 10/3 and London 9/2.
The Irish capital, Dublin comes in at 7/1.

This could be a way for some happy go lucky entrepreneur to make a few quid. Put 50k on a riot in Dublin, Organize a demonstration against the economic conditions and then start throwing petrol bombs around.
Walk away with a sweet €350k and a few secondary degree burns

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I like your thinking!

I'll take a piece of that action. Its payback time Paddy!

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
good old paddy power!

apparently, its one of these bookmaters which will take bets on absolutely anythign as long as they can work out the odds! people have won some strange / funny bets from paddy!

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
apparently, its one of these bookmaters which will take bets on absolutely anythign as long as they can work out the odds! people have won some strange / funny bets from paddy!

Yes, they were even taking bets on which banks and airlines were going to go bust next.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
SHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Any chance of an Aussie being able to place a bet?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It doesnt make any sense to be placing bets on riots because of economic melt downs, banks going bust, airline companies falling out of the sky...why?

Well all that winnings wont be worth anything! Think about it!!!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
At least someone's got a sense of humour about the Western economy downturn!

This could be a way for some happy go lucky entrepreneur to make a few quid. Put 50k on a riot in Dublin, Organize a demonstration against the economic conditions and then start throwing petrol bombs around.
Walk away with a sweet €350k and a few secondary degree burns

Actually, as soon as I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of people who use BetFair and go on other forums trying to ramp up the betting.

I'm surprised that there isn't a legal issue with this to be honest, because as you've pointed out it must be quite easy to actually manipulate the outcome.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

It does if the winnings are paid out in a safe stock like gold

I hope they take foreign bets and aren't just sticking to the locals

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
SHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Any chance of an Aussie being able to place a bet?

It definitely takes bets from EU countries.. and is probably global.

www.paddypower.com

Looks like you can place your bets online

Here's where you can bet on the riot [url=http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&ev_class_id=45&ev_type_id=10467&promo=nov_WePredictaRiot&crea=lnk&novelty=1]click[ /url]

[edit on 5/10/08 by Dermo]

[edit on 5-10-2008 by asala]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
lol, would love to see how americans riot on tv , its going to be funny, lol,

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I dont see roits happning in dublin
Irish people are to freaking lazy and sheepish to dare question our wonderfull taoiseach

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This is outrages when you think about it. I know degerate gamblers will gamble on two flys walking up a window pain in the rain.

But what next? or what was the last bet?............."I bet saddam crys like a bitch just like in, Angles with dirty faces?"

bad taste or bad publicty?

can anyone post the odds of the UFO over Alabama 14th............thts got the internet by the goo'les

[edit on 5-10-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H
This is outrages when you think about it.

I see where you are coming from but most irish people just think this is funny.
It would be bad form if someone won a good bit of money off one of the bets though.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE
I dont see roits happning in dublin
Irish people are to freaking lazy and sheepish to dare question our wonderfull taoiseach

I dunno about that, Remember the Dublin riots over the Orange marchers a couple of years ago.

All you need is a few instigators. Up for chipping in on a bet with me and causing some havoc?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I dunno about that, Remember the Dublin riots over the Orange marchers a couple of years ago.

Yes but that was a revolt against orange men, Put very simpley there was roits because The British orange men were marching through our capital , a place where alot of irish blood was spilled by black & tans etc..
That was not a roit against the goverment, That was a idiotic roit against another group of people

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE
Yes but that was a revolt against orange men, Put very simpley there was roits because The British orange men were marching through our capital , a place where alot of irish blood was spilled by black & tans etc..
That was not a roit against the goverment, That was a idiotic roit against another group of people

Ah yea, i know what you're sayin, I can still live in hope though

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kcfusion
I like your thinking!

I'll take a piece of that action. Its payback time Paddy!

Lost too much on online poker have we?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

I'd put a couple of shillings on Paris if I were you.
The French have a "manifestation" for just about anything.
It's like camembert to them.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Without sounding like someone who wont shut up.....
......."But didnt a lot of people make a lot of money on 9/11, the airline put bet thing?"

It just makes you wonder what socity will put up with or be un-fazed by If putting bets on what city is going to roit next, has become accptable.

I aint no do good'er but.......someone asked the odds for that bet.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
People people people, sometimes one has to see the humourous side of life. I in no way mean this to be offensive (yet inevitably someone will get offended anyway) but Americans really do not have the same sense of humour as much of the rest of the world. What us Aussies/Irish/British etc see as hilarious, the Yanks see as offensive. Sometimes I think Americans need to get out more.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join