It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow-cone (Related to October 14 / 16?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hello! This is my first post. I have been an avid reader of ATS for about a year or so. I have been lurking about for months reading all the interesting topics but never thought about registering. However, I wanted to share something with you all today, thus the reason for signing up. I have to say, I do indeed love coming here. It is nice to be able to read topics and have discussions about them without it ending in a total meltdown.

I have been reading about the infamous GFoL on here and have seen the video which shows Blossom Goodchild questioning the word "snow-cone." In the video it references the Florida phenomenon that shows an artist's representation of the event, which shows clouds being parted, that in essence, resemble a snow-cone. I am sure most of you have seen it, if not, then it can be seen here in another thread. The representation of the clouds being parted made me wonder ...

You see, I like to think of myself as having a scientific mind. I need theories, concepts, and if applicable concrete evidence / proof to write something off as being true. Given that, I started to wonder what the real cause of the split between the clouds could have been. There are numerous amounts of plausible explanations for it - numerous! I sat down and started to think of an explanation and at that moment I realized that the splitting of the clouds in this way seemed oddly familiar - a little too familiar. It reminded me of a similar event that happened here, where I reside.

I knew that I had seen this pattern in the clouds before. I even took photographs of it with my camera, which can be seen here. I will post external links to the images below ...

"Oy!" I said when I looked for the photographs and found them. It is almost identical to the Florida event, however this is in Texas and it happened on 25 September 2007. Mind you, during the time when these photographs were taken, I had no conception of the GFoL nor Blossom Goodchild. The spectacle caught my attention while I was driving home. I noticed the Moon being right smack in the middle of a somewhat parallel space between what seemed to be one big cloud split in two. I thought that to be kind of odd, so I drove home, parked the car, ran inside, got my camera out, and took a photograph of it. I thought, "You do not see that every day" and snapped the photos.

The following day I showed the pictures to a few classmates at the college and they thought it was "cool." I was kind of dumbfounded to think that they were not as interested in it as I was. I wanted to find out what caused this, as there were rumors over the radio that a meteor zipped through the sky and caused the split between the clouds. I emailed Mr. Nemiroff of APOD and attached the photographs in hopes that he could explain what would cause this phenomenon, but sadly I never got a reply. I gave up on the hunt to find the true cause of the split and went on with school work.

Just a few weeks ago I checked ATS to see the latest topics and saw the Goodchild thread that showed the video. Imagine the suspense when I saw the "snow-cone" image pop up on the screen. I knew I had seen it, but I just did not know where at the time.

Keeping in mind that I am a scientific person, I cannot help but wonder what the true cause of the split between the clouds in my photographs are and the split between the clouds in Florida are, which happened eleven months later. One thing I know for certain is that both happened, but are they connected? If so, how?

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Zacaretas]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Beautiful shots!
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Zacaretas

I... er, I don't understand, Blossom Goodchild says that
a spaceship is comin' and they gave her a sign in the form
of a blue snowcone... this looks like a natural happening on
your pics?

Aw hell, I'm on a Greyhound on my way to Gobblers Nob,
the Naval base there pumps out a strange ray that makes me
feel better, are you sayin' that Blossom is a phoney?

It can't be... can't be.... could it?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Beautiful shots!
en.wikipedia.org...

Those are not Anticrepuscular rays mate. The pictures in the OP's post are actual clouds parted in a definate parallel fashion. I would hazard a guess that perhaps a plane flew through the clouds at the same level, parting them as such as it travelled through but you would be better off waiting for someone more knowledgable like Ozweatherman to come in and give his take on them.

Good pics though!

[edit on 5/10/2008 by Kryties]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Anticrepuscular rays or not .. these pictures are awesome !

I don't think it's related to Blossom Goodchild, just some rare atmospheric or meteorologic phenomenon i guess.
Flagged !

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet would be, maybe the clouds were cut by the sun light travelling in the anticrepuscular rays? Unlikely, I know, but otherwise, I have no explanation.

An odd phenomenon.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Also made me think- People with money to burn can pay for airplanes to go up and clear the sky of clouds - I aint kiddin its true. Maybe there was a concert or something. I heard Paul McCartney did this at one of his concerts when he sang a song that mentions the sun. Another celebrity had the sky cleraed for her Birthday party.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GodForbid

an odd phenomena?
Aw crikey, I thought Busom Goodchild was saying that the
aliens were coming... that's just typical... why is everybody
a hoaxer? well, it's back to the trailer park for me I guess.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Hmmmm, its an interesting picture.

I have to things which it may be at the moment

Anti-crepusular rays would be the first to come to mind initially providing the sun is behind the picture taker

The other thing it could be is similar to a hole punch cloud where and airplane flies through the cloud layer scattering the water droplets giving the shape. There does appear to be a faint contrail within the cloud (which i thik is cirrostratus)

I may have to investigate further but I need more info from the OP such as location, geography and time and weather conditions

www.atoptics.co.uk...

It could also be this, but more unlikely than the other 2

www.atoptics.co.uk...

Oh. and for the snow cone check this one out

www.atoptics.co.uk...

[edit on 5/10/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Anti-crepusular rays would be the first to come to mind initially providing the sun is behind the picture taker

Since the fullish moon seems to be rising the sun would have to be in the opposite direction, behind the photographer. No?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Since the fullish moon seems to be rising the sun would have to be in the opposite direction, behind the photographer. No?

Yes, which is the exact way we get anti crepuscular rays, they appear to come from opposite the sun

[edit on 5/10/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

oregonskywatch.com...

It's just a shadow

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail. — Mark Twain

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

BAH! at every turn, there seems to be a hoaxer on a con
artist ready to peel the greenback from you.
Well, all I can say is that I'm glad she wasted all her dough
on making the damned snowcone that cast the shadow.

Let's be honest though... that's a pretty big snowcone,
I didn't know they stacked snowcones that high.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Beautiful shots!
en.wikipedia.org...

Those are not Anticrepuscular rays mate.

Oh yes they are.
Do a google image search, there are boatloads of pics just like that.
This is like the tenth thread on this.
All of them debunked.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I stand corrected

Like I said in my post above I am by no means an expert on weather phenomenon which is why I suggested waiting for someone like Ozweatherman to have a looksie, hence I was proven wrong and hence I have learnt something new today.

Another step in the path to Denying Ignorance

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thanks, all, for the replies and interest in this thread!

I cannot thank you enough for helping me figure out just what caused this phenomenon. I have never heard of anticrepuscular rays before and this, to me, seems like the most logical explanation for it.

I may have to investigate further but I need more info from the OP such as location, geography and time and weather conditions.

The date was 25 September 2007 and the time was 8:40 PM CST (GMT -6). The location was in Pharr, Texas. I am not sure on the exact weather conditions at the time back then, but I do remember that it was partly cloudy and there was no rain, however it was humid that day.

If there is a way to pull the data from that far back in regards to weather, that would be amazing! Perhaps it could lay rest to the whole meteor thing that was rumored to be true around town.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
wow,

before i comment on the GfoL,

these are some really eeri pics. but yes they are super beautiful too.

GFoL,

i hope i hope you put our clouds BACK once your done with them.mmmmmkayy

top topics

join