It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

camouflage clothing...good?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
in a sit-x scenario, is camouflague a good idea or a waste of time?
if it is worth while, what types are generally better, a multi-shade patern, such as U.S. woodland or just something of a bland single color, like OD or navy? thanks

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It depends on the Sit-X. Do you want the people associating you with the military? The angry mob, blinded by rage may see you as a target, or as a source of help (and food/water). It could go very bad very quickly for you.

Also, your surroundings will obviously play an important part too. For example you don't want woodland camo in an urban environment.

Just a couple of things to think about!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by eslon

seems top me the camo would make you stand out (conventional camo) you should dress exactly like the others around you so that you don't draw attention to yourself, and cover your face...that's a given. does that help?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Depends on your location. Alot of hunting patters make great camo that blends in all around, and I used some on several occasions in opfor training when I was in the army, worked great. As for as all around camo I have in my gear bag allways ready CRYE multicam which I have found to be damn hard to spot in a variety of bush and is harder to spot then traditional BDUs as it blends in with even dead brush.

I also have a dark grey warrior wear GenIII all weather top and bottom from BlackHwak that is pricless in the field. Its a little costly at around 200 bucks but you can get it cheaper on ebay. There are alternitaves though to that. Anything drab is great but the most important thing when concealing is simply sitting still. Just like when stalking an animal dont stare directly at it keep your eyes narrow and dont move. I imagine all kinds of people will think Im BS-ing you now but I swear it's an actual practice.
More importantly your biggest situation X scenario would undoubtedly contain helicopter with FLIR spotting people from the air. If you want camo look on the internet for how to avoid infrared.

Knowing how to move inside enemy territory is a must and using terrain to your advantage is a pricless knowledge.

PLEASE NOTE>>>> I have played in to this situation X fantasy as much as possible straying far from reality which I am well aware may be different from this scenario.
However everything I have mentioned is true to the best of my knowledge and experience from military duty and simple hunting in civilian life.

I can tell you now however that CAMO is really not the priority here.
you can hide perfectly well with out being in cammo.
There is no reason you cant hide even in a bright red flag, what is important is fresh water and the ability to build shelter and get food.
Thats the numero uno priority.
I like this thread SF for you

[edit on 4-10-2008 by snowen20]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
BTW dont forget travel at dusk and dawn, in rain is allways good. NOT under cover of darkness unless you have a preplanned route to take that you have taken before or unless your using NODs other wise youll be fumbling around in the darkness like an ass. A night movement can take hours covering only a short distance while trying to remain silent.
Any dark color will suffice. Keep a low profile and all that good stuff and youll see tomorrow so they say, whoever the hell "they" are.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
as for the enviornment type, I to would be semi-suburban and wilderness type. sorry i forgot to mention that
also, as for it not being top priority in a survival scenario, i know that just wanted some opinions on the topic
Snowen: as for the hunting patterns, i cant imagine they would work well outside very specific enviornments, but i also have never used them or anything, since i don't go hunting (not to say I couldn't kill game for food if I had to). I also saw you mentioned multicam, and i have heard some about it, but i heard its only moderatly useful in any one enviornment, but i also heard it was designed with multiple ones in mind.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well I used DCU and ACU in the army, but I did use hunting patterns for the hell of it occasionally and it was all the same.
Like I said its not so much the camo as it is you ability to be patient and keep a cool head and know your location in relation to enemy activity.

As far as CYRE Muticam, It really was designed around mutliple different areas. You have to realize that byond say 20 yrds most people will not see you as long as your still whether you are wearing cammo or not. Find good cover and keep still. Laying low to the ground in a prone position is a great advantage to you. Multi cam is great because it is multi seasonal.
In panama they actually issued tiger stripe to us which freaked me out.
but if I had to choose I would go multicam, or some other cheap derivative. Like I said I personlly keep two pairs of multi cam and one old pair of ACU in my bug out bag at all times.

Why ACU? Well several posters allready stated it was good idea to have somthing to blend in with other soldiers, and I could not agree more.
Learn how soldiers act and what they do, ie what hats they are wearing when in certian locations and where patches are located on the uniforms and you will be well on your way to dominating your opponent through the implementation of disguise!!
HELL YEAH IT'S A GREAT DAY TO PISS IN THE ENEMIES CANTENE!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
If you want the ultimate in a non-urban environment, get yourself a Gillie suit.

You can be, literally, a foot from the person, and you will never know they are there.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Cammo DPM or other kit is rather pointless if you live in a desert , city, or bug out in winter, you need to adopt clothing that blends in with your environment. Chances are drab olive, khaki, brown, grey and charcoal coloured clothing will be of more use to you.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Camo could be a blessing or your downfall depending on your situation and location during a Situation X.

I prefer to do my ''outdoors activities'' wearing solid 'country' colours like olive green, tans, stone, khakis and russets. You dont get so many funny looks from people whilst out and about so much as a lot of civilian outdoor gear are in those colours. Luckily a lot of civvie outdoor clothes are loosely based on military styles - just go for the subdued colours.

In my opinion the civvie equivalents are normally far superior in quality to the military issued ones anyway.

I would save the camo for more extreme situations or for hunting purposes. Someone seen wearing camo to some people would be like a red rag to a bull (ie: seen as Government/Military).

I tend to stay away from looking 'military' as nothing looks worse than a 40 something running around the countryside looking like John Rambo.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wotan: actually, thats something i didnt even think of, but it does make sense, should you get seen that solid subdued colors would draw less attention than traditional camo
Sir_chancealot: im really not too crazy on ghillie suits. i would rather blend in with the enviornment than appear to be the enviornment. plus, i think that they could give a person a false sense of security about their ability to remain unseen. in anycase, theyre only as good as the person wearing them, i guess. in anycase, though, i've never been much of a fan of em

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There is of course the option of having reversible Camo/Solid clothing. There is not a lot of it about so you may have to do a sewing job yourself. The Waffen SS used to wear this kind of clothing and I am surprised that it never really caught on after the war.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The same goes for my Highlander rucksacks. They are Olive Green in colour but they have a British DPM waterproof cover that could be utilised when/if neccessary.

I have seen somewhere Olive Green with reversible white smocks somewhere but cant remember where.

Basically the idea is to think along 'dual-use' type lines. Have a base colour(s) like the solid subdued ones for everday 'normal' useage, but could easily and quickly be enhanced by Camo items in 'extreme' times. Otherwise you may find that all your Camo gear just sits in the back of your wardrobe collecting moths.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I live in the desert and for me tan khakis work and if i want to break the out line just using a little charcoal from a fire will work just as good as the military desert camos.

The big use for me of camo is to hide my transportation like my ATV
For that i use a desert camo net
www.camonets.com...

This allows me to go into areas that have been closed to offroading by the treehuggers.

new topics

top topics

join