It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it ILLEGAL to "surveill law enforcement"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
A friend told me yesterday when I brought up police abuse that it is ILLEGAL to use video cams on police officers.

So if the people catch a cop red-handed planting drugs, it is illegal to use that camera.

But is is LEGAL for a cop to randomly strip-search anyone "suspected" of drug dealing?

Have I misunderstood, or has America taken yet another step towards Nazi Germany?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Police can be photographed, videotaped as long as it is in your residence or a public place. Following one home and doing this may be harassment.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
As far as I know its legal as long as its done on your property or in public like ninthaxis said.

Have you heard of the guy who calls himself Jimmy Justice? he goes around recording cops breaking the law and turns them in.

Here is a link to his youtube page if you are interested.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 3-10-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
You should check your local laws as well.. Everything said above while true constitutionally is sometimes up for debate. Some US cities and counties in the US DO HAVE LAWS PROHIBITING the video taping of cops. This is also true at all border patrol check points.

And yes, The us is following the path of 1930s Germany to the T.... Sometimes I wonder if anyone even bothers to read history books.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by titorite]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

I gave up reading history books when I discovered there was a different book for every country, sometimes even two.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I believe it was in Boston(could be wrong) there was a case where a guy in his own yard videotaped cops making an arrest in front of his house. He was arrested and charged with Fed. Wiretap laws. Apparently it was illegal to record sound with his video without the other persons permission. If he had only videotaped without sound he would have been legit.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by KOGDOG

Which is a gross injustice. It has been deemed acceptable for your trash to be searched as it is now available to the public, you are allowed to videotape public school events, you can record criminals committing crimes, but not the individuals that are paid with your money to uphold the law.

I believe New York City made a ban on video taping in public and there were amateur camera people going around town video taping elected officials/cops in protest of the law they feel (rightfully so in my opinion) that their rights are being trampled on.

top topics

join