It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to fund pro-American publicity in Iraq ($300 million for 3 years)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

U.S. to fund pro-American publicity in Iraq ($300 million for 3 years)

rinf.com

The Defense Department will pay private U.S. contractors in Iraq up to $300 million over the next three years to produce news stories, entertainment programs and public service advertisements for the Iraqi media in an effort to “engage and inspire” the local population to support U.S. objectives and the Iraqi government. The new contracts — awarded last week to four companies — will expand and consolidate what the U.S. military calls “information/psychological operations” in Iraq...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Seriously? who cares what they think of the U.S. This probably will make more people hate the U.S. even more due to the fact that people may get the impression that the U.S. is trying to change the way of life for the Iraqi's by pushing ourselves onto them. $300 million dollars for 3 years? Seriously?! why?! we need the money here at home not putting out adds to glorify the 'american' way of life.

rinf.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Sounds to me like they're spending $300 million on downright brainwashing the Iraqi people into accepting the American-led invasion/continued occupation.

When will the US Leaders accept the fact that people want to decide their own destiny?
The USA definitely seems on the way out. Their answer?
Force propaganda down everyone's throats so that they forget.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I think it might be more along the lines of accepting capitalism and norms of that form of society. To be honest, they are used to a much different lifestyle. They have been bullied and pushed around by their own forever and now with us there stabilizing things and setting them up to enter the oil industry, they need to be ready for quite a change in their lives. And that change may come overnight.

They will have money once they sell oil, and maybe it will be a TON of money. This "propaganda" could help them deal with their newfound fortune and maybe with the people behind the government, they can take care of themselves better and grow as a country.

They like that we are there, helping them, and this is probably just going to help them be more self-sufficient as a country once we begin to back off. I truely believe the U.S.' plan is to stabilize them and get their economy rolling, then the sky is the limit. And who knows, maybe we'll even be buying products from them someday like we buy cars from Japan.

Just a guess....

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated
Sounds to me like they're spending $300 million on downright brainwashing the Iraqi people into accepting the American-led invasion/continued occupation.

When will the US Leaders accept the fact that people want to decide their own destiny?
The USA definitely seems on the way out. Their answer?
Force propaganda down everyone's throats so that they forget.

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

On another note, why do they let people live off of less than $1 a day, and let them live off of plants that cramp there stomach, give them the runs and make flys lay eggs all over there children's body whenever that same $300M would of given them temp food, seeds, irrigation, animals and cloths?
If the government wants to keep the image of "caring for the people" then why do they let 1-3 year old kids DIE a needless death of starvation and malaria?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by vapedson

huh? "They like that we are there helping them"?

Sounds like the same kool-aid brigade that they are going to unleash on the "liberated" Iraqi's is still doing its job quite well here domestically as well.

I can't believe folks are still buying into the fairy tales of "nobleness" behind this disaster...Nobody is "helping" anyone---This is all about GREED--Period.

And this propaganda filth these same GREED-mongers in the M.I.C. are perpetuating is for nothing more to CONTINUE their sickening war-profits indefinitely.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I beg to differ that you think we aren't helping them.

I had a discussion last night with someone who has been over in the Middle east since the 1980's. He is ex-military, extremely smart, a good person, and very up to date on media and almost everything we discuss here that is relevant.

I have to tell you, we are falling for some media control as well. They censor almost all of the good we do over there. He told me how many little tribes over there have nothing, including willpower. Many of the tribes are in fear because of how they have lived there being bullied by whoever attains power at the time.

Anyways, my friend explained to me that they have built wells for these people which is such an important thing for their growth. If you grew up without a well for a long time and troops came and built you one, I'd say you were helped and are probably grateful for it.

With how much we know about media/information control, consider that maybe they are hiding the good we are doing for some reason. I don't know why, but I do know we do good things for them.

There is good in what we are doing even if certain things don't seem right.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I hear about the positives from people who have been there, but there's never anything on media about it. So where is the propaganda saying were helping (in the sense that i mean). I am talking smaller scale things of course, but it has to start somewhere.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by vapedson

Well, if what you say is true, surely there would be no need for the spediture of $300 million to repair the US image in IRAQ.

Especially if they didn't even have wells. Do the US military honestly see "well-less" tribes as a threat?

The US economy is apparently at break point, but the gov is concerned enough to spend $300 million where its not needed?

What i really enjoyed was the following wording from the article...

"to produce news stories for the iraqi media" - they couldn't have chosen a more appropriate introduction to the ways of the modern western world.

[edit on 10/3/2008 by corvin77]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I would like to know how they make US people think killing others is "good"
I'm a big fan of leaving well enough alone and don't stick you're nose where it don't belong.

top topics

join