It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts and reactions on the Canadian Leaders Debate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I don't know how many Canadians on here are watching our leaders debate right now but if you are, I would like to hear your thoughts about it.

Winners, losers, good points, overall thoughts on each person.

edited to add link to live stream.

www.cbc.ca...

[edit on 2-10-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
So far, it's an all out attack on Harper.

For me, to this point, Jack Layton is ahead. Very direct questions to Mr. Harper and calling out Mr. Dion on his continuing support of the prime Minister over the last year or so.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I'm surprised that no one has responded to Harpers claim of job creation that the good high paying jobs are being replaced by low paying, service sector jobs.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Wow, Jack Layton is kickin' some butt.

He is right on Mr. Harpers platform. He has made a lot of econmic promises but hasn't really gone into how they plan on doing them.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Mr. Dion seems to be begging at the moment. Doesn't look good at all.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Mr. Duceppe is so one dimensional(no shock there). Thats why I supported MS. May being included in the Debate. At least she represents the country.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I like the format, it makes for a good debate even if it means some extra work on the moderator's part.

Everyone is ganging up on Harper, with Layton taking a jab at Dion every now and then.

My impressions so far are that Harper is not enjoying himself, Layton is far more aggressive than he's been in past elections and Dion is holding his own and showing a little spine. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Duceppe (he reminds me of Barry Manilow) and Elizabeth May is doing a great job on her first set of debates. She's coming across as very intelligent, well-spoken and compassionate.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Hi Duzey.

At least I'm not talking to myself anymore.

I agree with the new format. Really interesting as an alternate to the podium method.

I'll give Mr. Dion some credit. He's sounding good and isn't struggling and stumbling like I've seen from in the past. He is standing up to Harper.

Liz May sounds great. I'm no Green supporter but I'm glad she's there.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Good job by Ms. May on bringing in some subject that would be relevant to ATS, the conspiracy to Privatize our Health Care System.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The problem I have noticed is that Jack Layton is like Ron Paul. He says what we want to hear, but we won't vote for him. He can swing for the fences all he wants, there is no way he is going to come close to getting elected. Unless someone can pull a rabbit out of a hat in the next couple of weeks, it will be a Conservative majority. The NDP doing good is just going to pull votes from Dion.

I don't like the round table style. It seems too informal to me. Seems like they should be smoking stogies and playing poker while talking about the state of the country.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Hehehe.

See that tight little smile on Harper's face? He's not enjoying this at all. I think the big winners tonight are the Greens. This was historic for them and May is doing a spectacular job. This may finally help them be seen as more than a one-issue party, even if I don't agree with their approach on some of the other issues.

This is a really good debate - I think it might be the new format.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I thought Harper would be a little quicker on his feet.

E. May is a little tiger. I am surprised by her frankness as well as her sharp retort.

Mr. Layton seems to be winning. He has backed Harper into a corner at least twice.

"The economy is not fine...." Either you don't care or you are incompetent" or something along that line.

Best line tonight! So far.

Whoever did the makeup job on Mr. Harper must be well paid as the job is very well done. lol

Dion seems a little frazzled.

The Quebec leader Mr. Duceppe is coming on now. He seems like a man with a mission.

Just my two cents!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
What a question!!!!

"Do you think that the Conservatives are Barbarians?"

That's either one brave or stupid question. Although it'll be cool to see how diplomatic they can be in their responses.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
OK Layton is tearing up the floor with a out of touch Harper on the arts.

Harper claims to be a piano player...Layton rightfully states that most artists cannot afford to send the kids to piano lessons.

Dion...he is on fire now..I love the french..they love the arts...Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe seems very concerned with the cuts.

Back to Harper....saying he is a friend of the arts..

now Green Party E. May is hitting Harper with some facts.

Great Debate!

[edit on 2-10-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

It's being handled pretty well by all of them.

I have just developed a massive girl crush on Elizabeth May. I'm not voting for her, but she's brilliant.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I agree with May and Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe on the young offenders bill.

We do not need to see more USA values up here in Canada. The US system creates criminals. Even the US police admit this.

For the love of God Canadians are being scared by this Christian and Missionary Alliance right wing rhetoric.

Dion is right...this had not worked in the US.

May is correct...education is needed with these kids...they need to have some hope besides rising up the ladder in a gang.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Credit to Mr. Layton for being the only one to bring up Aboriginal issues several times now.

Ms. May is by far my favorite tonight. Dion is doing well. Harper is still defending constantly but he's doing a decent job of it so far.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Prime Minister Harper says things that are so in line with other right wing western leaders such as Bush, John Howard it makes me angry.

Canada has enjoyed the rep as peaceful, freedom loving people and harper seems to want to line himslef up with right wing rhetoric in thos debate.

Layton, Dion, May, Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe all take the historical Canadadian perspective. God Bless them....lol!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This is an important question.

I really want to hear the open discussion part on Afghanistan.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Credit to Layton for being the one to take charge of the debate. He's running the show.

Harper isn't doing too badly answering the questions but it seems like he's really biting his tongue, so he doesn't come across as very sincere.

Uh oh - Duceppe just used the 'B word'.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join