It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upside-Down American Flag Protesting Economy Sparks Outrage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Upside-Down American Flag Protesting Economy Sparks Outrage

www.local6.com

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A large upside-down American flag being flown at a home until the economy improves has sparked outrage in a Central Florida community.

Kevin Welsh, who lives near Rosemont in Orange County, said he's flying the upside-down flag because too many people are suffering financially.

Welsh lost his job and may soon lose his home to foreclosure, Local 6 reported.

The flag is a call of distress and a symbol of a broken government, Welsh said.

"The government needs to get upright," Welsh. "I'm in distress. Everyone is in distress."

A neighbor and war veteran said he is outraged over the upside-down flag.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
upside down American flag

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

This is a protest which may gain steam as Congress continues to consider the banks bailout. Many are starting to believe that the American have not's are under attack and in distress from the have's who want more.

I continue to ask why the media has been introducing stories with the lead-in "More Proof" of bank crisis. Whenever I see this I begin to think back to our proof of WMDs in Iraq. People are in distress and at least one has found a symbol that for him illustrates the true nature of our current situation.

Is this appropriate or are you outraged?

www.local6.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
We definitely are in a financial crisis, maybe not as bad as it's being made out to be...but it's pretty bad. The Flag if I'm not mistaken on etiquette is to be flipped upside down when the country or a base is in distress.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It is an outrage that our broken government (We the People...) have arrived at the situation we're in...

Regarding the flag being displayed upside down... cou;d not be more appropriate.

The flag should never be displayed with the union (the starred blue canton) down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property. [2] (wiki)

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It's funny how much support for this idea there appears on the net. I have a feeling that in a social sense, things are starting to get real ugly.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I am never outraged when a citizen of the United States exercises his right to express his opinion.

The flag is an object, a symbol, not a piece of public property.

He claims we are in distress..., many would agree it seems.

Outrage comes from traditionalists who went to school in the 50's. I am a service-connected disabled veteran of several conflicts (12-years), so I don't want to hear any guff about loyalty or patriotism. Quite the opposite, this guy is being openly sincere in his representation of the state of this union. The rest feel we must 'appear' normal - screw normal. Normal is what got us where we are today.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I am never outraged when a citizen of the United States exercises his right to express his opinion.

Agreed. The reason you respect the flag is because you can disrespect it.

top topics

join