It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Principal groups for survivalism.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Ok just to clarify something, the subject matter I post and discuss is about SURVIVALISM, IE preparing, training , stockpiling and adjusting your lifestyle in order to best prepare yourself and your family from such things as storms, floods, droughts, power cuts, civil unrest, shortages, national strikes, large scale teror incidents etc etc. that is what SURVIVALISM is. Unfortunately at times the same title gets confused in the UK with Bushcraft and Wilderness survival, which is something I did as a squadie, Fieldcraft survival skills are good and to be encouraged, but my stuff is about preparing your entire family or survival group to survive some nasty event.

Below is the headers for a rough guide of the issues you need to consider when making plans to become more self suifficient and self reliant, I've not had time to fill it out but you can at least get an idea of the various issues you MAY want to think about.

Principal Groups for Survival

Food & Water Group
Buying, finding, storing, transporting, filtering, preserving, rotating, growing, securing,

Shelter & Location Group
Type, location, access, facilities, local resources, maintaining, securing, repairing, heating, lighting,

Fuel & Energy Group
Buying, finding, transporting, storing, sustaining, refining, generating, Coal, Peat, Oil, Natural gas, propane / butane, wood, biofuel, geothermal, solar ( active & passive), wind / wave / hydro.

Heat & Light Sub Group , Generators,heaters, lights,batteries, recharging, candles, light sticks, heating fuel, bottled gas, wood/ coal/ peat, Solar, Wind, other renewable energy

Health & Medical Group, Medical kits, training, healthcare, alternative medicine, Hygiene regimes, triage, quarenteen, prescription medicines, spare specs, dentures etc

Hygiene & Cleaning Group, soaps, detergents, disinfectants, bleaches, cleaning programs, waste disposal, bin bags, food waste, medical waste, personal hygene, female and child hygene requirements, dental care,

Transport & Communications Group

Intelligence & Security Group

Tools & Maintenance Group

Clothing & Equipment Group

Education & Reference Group

I'll keep updating it as I get time, but please feel free to alter it yourself

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
A survivalist group that has all of those groups squared away would probably be master of all that they surveyed in a fair few SITX

I'm approaching this from a 'stuff people can do with group' rather than purely supplies and items.

Those who are mechanics, fitters, sparkys and proficient in driving. Preferably 4 x 4 vehicles.

Those with the weapons and knowhow to guard farms and important places for others and the group. Capable of weapons procurement and equipment. Also those who are proficient in scouting, map-reading and general sneaky-beaky operations.

Speaks for itself.

Speaks for itself mostly but the ability to sew and maintain clothing is often overlooked, but no less important.

An important one this. Knowledge and the skills of old must be taught to others if people are to learn and keep alive the skills.
Books and material help, but the best books, except those of an extremely technical nature go hand-in-hand with wisest teacher and instructor.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
A survivalist group that has all of those groups squared away would probably be master of all that they surveyed in a fair few SITX

I'm approaching this from a 'stuff people can do with group' rather than purely supplies and items.

Those who are mechanics, fitters, sparkys and proficient in driving. Preferably 4 x 4 vehicles.

Those with the weapons and knowhow to guard farms and important places for others and the group. Capable of weapons procurement and equipment. Also those who are proficient in scouting, map-reading and general sneaky-beaky operations.

Speaks for itself.

Speaks for itself mostly but the ability to sew and maintain clothing is often overlooked, but no less important.

An important one this. Knowledge and the skills of old must be taught to others if people are to learn and keep alive the skills.
Books and material help, but the best books, except those of an extremely technical nature go hand-in-hand with wisest teacher and instructor.

"I'm approaching this from a 'stuff people can do with group' rather than purely supplies and items."

Excellent approach and works well, building up a multi discipled team is great and works just as well, Personally I dont think any group can ever fill in or complete the list of requirements, but I do think they need to be aware of them.

"An important one this. Knowledge and the skills of old must be taught to others if people are to learn and keep alive the skills.
Books and material help, but the best books, except those of an extremely technical nature go hand-in-hand with wisest teacher and instructor."

I 100% concur, prehaps some of your own team could benefit from attending some of the traditional skill courses run at the annual Wilderness Gathering in wiltshire www.wildernessgathering.com ( I think )

[edit on 28-9-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
To be honest, I dont think you can divorce Survival Preparedness from Bushcraft and Wilderness Survival. They are too interlinked and too important to not be aware of.

top topics

join