It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big brother launches statewide surveilence system on Arizona highways

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Big brother launches statewide surveilence system on Arizona highways

www.azcentral.com

Arizona is the first state to implement a statewide photo-radar system; similar programs have been used in foreign countries.

The program calls for 100 stationary and mobile cameras throughout the state.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety snapped dozens of photos of drivers Friday in the launch of its speed-enforcement program.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
They have been testing this system for about a year now.

What they are telling you, "We will only use this sytem to photograph speeders for the purpose of issuing speeding tickets."

What they are not telling you -, "With facial recognition software they will be able to track down known persons of interest cross referenced in the governments' database."

www.azcentral.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-9-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I dont use the freeways here at all. Even then so what would it matter if they watched while i drove to work. There arent enough cameras to adequately follow any one person if they get off one exit then theyre already off the grid. Most regular intersection traffic cameras are mounted to high to be of any good for tracking purposes. AZ just isnt the type of city where cameras can see everywhere. They could aid in following but anyone with a brain (well that takes out quite a few people doesnt it :lol
could stay out of view of them if they wanted.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I live here in Arizona. They did a test run on the 101. They helped keep the speeders down on a dangerous highway.

If you ever drive on some of the highways out here, you could see they need them. I have almost been hit numerous times by speeders going up tp 30mph over the limit, and on a 75 mph road. They do need them here. There are accidents on the I-10 here that I drive daily.

Ama

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

I agree the so call "for your safety only" nothing more than the door to be open to more invasive measures.

Nothing our fascist government do is for the "good of the people" but rather for the benefit of the ruling order.

[edit on 28-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
What they are telling you, "We will only use this sytem to photograph speeders for the purpose of issuing speeding tickets."
[edit on 28-9-2008 by In nothing we trust]

Any info on how one can question the camera's accuracy? I was issued a $100 ticket from one of the Eyes-on-the-lightpoles a while back and in the copy of the picture they sent me, you can clearly see the light is green, although I'm sure that could be debated if I took it to court. I'm referring to a Red Light Camera, as I just found out while posting this, they are different. Anyway. here is some info on them in my area.

en.wikipedia.org...

At some intersections where red-light cameras have been installed, it has been determined that the duration of the yellow signal was illegally shortened[7], thereby ensuring that there would be more violations and thus, more revenue. In the Tennessee case, 176 tickets ($8800 in fines) were refunded to drivers caught in the first 0.9 seconds after the signal turned red when it was discovered that the length of the yellow signal timing had been reduced by that amount. In some areas, red light enforcement cameras are installed and maintained by private firms such as Affiliated Computer Services[8]. In many cases, these private firms also administer the processing of citations. Many people disagree with this privatization of a police function.

So some of them are being privately maintained? Sounds fishy.

www.thenewspaper.com...

Ohio warned that even this amount has fallen fall short of their needs. Desperate for revenue, the city had planned on expanding its automated ticketing machine network to issue enough fines to create $2.5 million to spend on vital local projects. For a number of reasons, the city will only rake in $1.8 million in profit

So..since they don't have enough money, they are pursuing more "law breakers". This hits me as "They aren't enough bad people doing bad things to keep our bank accounts full, lets make more laws for them to break"

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Good things can be used for bad and bad things can be used for good.

It's not a new concept.

If one of my children were ever kidnapped, I'd be especially glad of the technology here that might help find the kidnappers. There are so many ways this could be used to help, outmeasuring the bad, if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You're right in that aspect. But for good things to be used for good things, good people have to be behind them and we all know how well that works out.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Looks like Arizona just put up a whole bunch of new targets for the gangbangers to shoot at. When they start getting tickets, you'll see them looking like swiss cheese hanging on the poles!!!LOL

Zindo

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
LOL. The sad thing is you are probably correct.

Ama

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It quotes this in story made laugh

camerafraud.wordpress.com...

“YOU DIDN’T HEAR THIS FROM US, BUT ATS ARE A BUNCH OF SCUMBAGS”

“LOOK AT THESE CRAZY CATS TRYING TO BAN PHOTO RADAR IN ARIZONA. WE’LL BE BACK LIKE THE HERP”

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Although it may not be the initial purpose, I'm sure that this will be wired into a ANPR (Automatic number plate recognition) intelligence services system at some point.

Between people with cellphones, and people with cars, that means they can keep a pretty good record of the travel made by a huge percentage of the population.

I believe these kind of records were used in the recent Raoul Moat case in the UK, along with bank card usage data and others. I'm sure all this is in place in the USA too. It's kind of crazy how detailed a picture they can build on all of us now.

top topics

join