It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coon cheese is next, says campaigner (racial slur)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Golly wogs here in the states refers to a slang term for a black "Raggety Ann" doll. They are collectors items now and originals can cost upwards of 1000.00$.
Zindo

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
In australia we use the same meaning for golly wog, however we also until a few years back had a chocolate buscuit by the same name. Afro, dark skin, same look as the dolls. Quite upsetting to become an adult go looking for a child hood favorite only for it be named racist and discontinued.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for the PC police to come after coon hounds. Force changing their name to nocturnal varmint hound or something equally idiotic.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
How do you get the milk out of their little nipples?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
This is a true story...

In 1964 there was a boy scout troop, Troop 56, in washington DC, Troop 56 was the closest Boy Scout troop to the old Boy Scounts of America Headquarters building at Florida Ave and Connecticut Ave.

I was the Patrol leader for our patrol, we had made up our own name, the MOONCOONS.. and were damn proud of it, it was unique, our red emblem was a raccoon sitting on the bottom of a crescent moon with his tail hanging down...

One day a big guy came down, all dressed up like a super duper scout from headquarters (to impress us, no doubt, with his vast authority) and wanted to meet with us... he said that the National office was concerned about the name we chose for our patrol...

I said, but sir, we chose that name....
he said, it has off color connotations..
I said, How can a Raccoon sitting on Crescent moon at night have off color anything?
I said ask the troop members, so we called them in...

I mean, you have to picture this... I have Spanish in me, and had a dark tan, Chip was a white boy and my best friend, though Singh, was a Sihk, with a twhite turban and dark skin, and we were all pals...we had two black kids, a little kid and a tall skinny lanky guy, and a huge kid from Korea who must have weighed 200 lbs.

If it were 30 years later, we might have called ourselves The Geek Patrol.

As the guy from national office stood there looking at us.. he said, would you consider changing the name of your patrol? and we all yelled NO SIR!

So the MOONCOON Patrol of Troop 56 refused to compromise, we stayed the MOONCOONS despite the pressure from national and yah know, I still have the patrol patch somewhere....and Im 60 now, and I have yet to compromise if I don't think what I see is right.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by seataka]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Frankly, I read the OP about 5 times and I couldn't make sense out of anything. I saw something about Coon cheese, and a "Nigger" Brown, and some "grandstand", etc.

.. well, I don't know what to say. I have some grasp on it, but what the hell is going on here?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Back when i was young (1960s)coon hunting meant you were hunting raccoons
coon dogs were used to hunt coons for the skins.
This was when Daniel Boone was a popular on TV. and there were companies that would buy coon skins to make coon skin caps.

Now with the animal rights people that is no longer PC.
but the term coon hunting now in parts of the US means your going to a (beer)party somewhere in the hills. (many parents don't know this.)

What i find strange is most is these minority's that claim these are racists terms never lived in the country, They are city folks and they have their own derogatory terms for white people that they use freely when talking among themselves. like Cracker's, Cloud: Red Neck:White Bread:

Now in parts of the US "Redneck" is the term for whites that work construction oilfield or other outdoor trades where they get sunburned.(CA. AZ. NV.)
And its not derogatory as it describes whites that work hard for a living. unlike those that do office or indoor jobs.

Now you go to parts of the south and the term Coonass or coon-ass,
(U.S.) a Cajun; may be derived from the French conasse. May be used among Cajuns themselves. Not considered to be derogatory in most circumstances.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by corstar

Well racism is alive and well so I jumped when I saw the headlines but if the guy's surname was Coon and there was no obvious stereotype attached wtf is the problem. The PC debate unfortunately is often a distraction from more serious issues of discrimination. I do acknowledge that the campaigner is a genuine anti-racist.

Surely the aborigines deserve better.

Long live the (human) race.

T

[edit on 23-2-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

G'day tezzajw

Here's the guy who doesn't like our Coon cheese, with some Coon cheese......I had some for lunch

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d093ac2598d6.jpg[/atsimg]

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
reply to post by Snift

I'm from Arkansas, and often get called the same names. But I just agree with them, politely listen to whatever diatribe they are on, and then tell them, "We don't give a d**n how ya'll do it up nawth!" That usually shuts them up.
Could someone from Oz please tell me what a "golly wog" is?

G'day kettlebellysmith

Here's a golliwog.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6829a6cedbca.jpg[/atsimg]

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
so is coon a derogatory term in australia?

i know it can be in the US.

besides, that guy looks like he is from SE asia.

pretty frickin useless complaint, i think.

and what about oreo as a term?

black on the outside and white on the inside?

[edit on 23-2-2010 by fooks]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
so is coon a derogatory term in australia?
i know it can be in the US.
besides, that guy looks like he is from SE asia.
pretty frickin useless complaint, i think.
and what about oreo as a term?
black on the outside and white on the inside?

G'day fooks

I am not aware of any pieces of cheese that have been offended by the term "Coon".

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Look , Im usualy at the front of the moshpit when it comes to decrying racial abuse and demanding the death of racists and nazis and propegators of hate, but this Coon cheese is not throwing up a warning. Its named for its creator, and last I checked the government cant change a mans name because it has become a slang word .

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
G'day

Here's a link to the patent for the Coon Cheese "Cooning Process" as per Mr Edward William Coon:

www.google.com.au...=onepage&q=&f=false

Here's a link to a history site for Coon Cheese:

www.naturallycoon.com.au...

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
dumb b**tard didn't even research it long enough to find out that the name comes from..... "its American creator Edward W. Coon"
So he can't have something named after it's own name because it has a double meaning, hey, here in england for a long long time we've had 'mr brains' faggots' and while you wouldn't want to eat them mostly due to the dodgy meat content, I can't say I've ever heard anyone moan about the name, that's just the sound that happens to be used to represent the particular thing, get over it

top topics

<< 1   >>

join