It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush chides Russia in UN speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Bush chides Russia in UN speech

news.bbc.co.uk

Mr Bush urged world leaders gathered at UN in New York to "stand united in our support of the people of Georgia".

In a wide-ranging speech, Mr Bush also urged the international community to continue the fight against terrorism.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This has to be the last insult the russians are going to take. Coupled now with georgian officials ( and presumably the C.I.A), Have downed an ''UNMANED'' russian spy drone over georgian land! bush said;''"The United Nations charter sets forth the equal rights of nations large and small. Russia's invasion of Georgia was a violation of those words."

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Ok we get it - U.S. is enamoured with Georgia, and wants to treat Georgia and its psychotic leader as an adopted puppy. Why the hell should the rest of the world give a crap about this love-relationship? If U.S. so chooses - it can break-off all ties with Russia so they can watch Saakashvili grow into a full-pledged 51st state dictator. But there is absolutely no reason to think that anyone else wants to get involved in the mess.

U.S. has vested interest in Georgia, seeing how it funded the current regime from the start. U.S. had vested interests in the recent war that Georgia stated. Europe does not have vested interests in Georgia, nor does Asia or any other countries in the world. So why the hell should anyone, even U.S. allies, support the aggressive Georgian dictatorship? Georgia started the war knowing the risks well enough, and failed miserably. The fact that it failed does not make Georgia a victim, nor does the fact that its actions innitiated a war with a much stronger enemy.

The world leaders will not share the U.S. support for Georgia. Sure they criticize Russia for exagerrated military response, but no one except for the U.S. is laying the blame for the conflict on Russia anymore. Plus Europe (whose opinion likely matters to U.S. the most on this issue), has already stated that it will not risk jeopardizing its relations with Russia. Europe depends on Russian energy far too much, to sever relations with it over some psychotic regime in a tiny third-world country.

As for the cited "UN charter" that sets forth the rights of sovereign nations - what is the stance of that charter regarding U.S.'s invasion of Iraq? Or is that charter utilized selectively - only when countries opposed to U.S. are in violation of it, but not the U.S. itself?

And how ironic that Bush asked the world leaders to support the fight against terrorism. So he is basically saying - "I want you to oppose Russia's wars and incursions on foreign territory, but I call on you to support our wars and incursions on foreign territory". The cloud of hypocrisy overshadows anything the Bush administration says anymore, and for the lack of embarassment he should just shut up and wait out the rest of his term. No one is buying his rhetoric.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by maloy]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
As for the cited "UN charter" that sets forth the rights of sovereign nations - what is the stance of that charter regarding U.S.'s invasion of Iran? Or is that charter utilized selectively - only when countries opposed to U.S. are in violation of it, but not the U.S. itself?

the US invaded Iran?

where the eff was I?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kidney thief

You were probably minding the invasion of Iraq, as was I when I mistyped that.

But with all the Iran war talk, U.N. might as well keep the charter out for some time now. Either way U.N. charters are good for only one thing - and that thing can be better accomplished with toilet paper.

new topics

top topics

join