It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous bumping threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I was just wondering whats up with that I have noticed several threads in this forum which are bumped by anonymous only to see there is in fact no anonymous post? Here are some of the current examples:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The most recent post says anonymous and the thread gets bumped up but no post? I have noticed this before but it seems to be happening alot recently. I know that the anonymous user's comments need to be approved by a MOD for them to be posted. I was wondering if this was the result if the post gets rejected?
If this is in the wrong forum then MODS can you move it. I just put it here because I have seen it happen alot lately in this forum.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Steve B
I was just wondering whats up with that I have noticed several threads in this forum which are bumped by anonymous only to see there is in fact no anonymous post?... I have seen it happen alot lately in this forum.

I've noticed the same thing, and it seems that the Anonymous post isn't visible until a member's post succeeds it. Thanks for asking...I've been meaning to, and I look forward to an answer.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This should probably be in the board questions forum.

I think the way that it works is that when an Anonymous person posts on a thread, it gets bumped... but you can't see what they wrote until a mod reviews and approves it. Then it becomes visible.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I would imagine it's members logging in anonymously to shamefully bump their own thread.... sad isn't it??

And i think for security/safety measures, anon posts need to be approved by a mod to be read by rest of us, although it still bumps the thread and looks like the anon posters reply will be there, when you click on the thread, you see the last post was like 3 months ago or 2 years or whatever.

Sad huh?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
YAY!!!!!

I was going too ask basically the same question today, because it is really starting too get tired.

I realize this has been happening ever since boards and forums have been around, but lately it seems to me as though it has become more prolific, mainly in the last couple of days. Anyone else noticed this??

I thought it was proper forum etiquet for people not too bump old threads so that it doesn't drown the newer posted threads down too the bottom?

Is there a way of placing a timelimit? So that a thread becomes locked after a couple of months with no reply? Maybe less too discourage OP's from bumping their own threads?

Anyhow, with the Anon posts, even if the Mod denys the post... is the thread still bumped? (If so, I can see a big problem there.)

Thanks for posting this thread, not just so I can get this off my chest... But also too raise the questions.

Cheers, Fox.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by fox_3000au

Perhaps rather than locking the thread, they could only allow Anon posters to post on active threads... this way, they could still participate (anons) but it would deter people who should know better from going and posting anon on their own thread.

I think the age of a thread is a moot point, it could still be valid now and rather than start a new thread on an old subject, if people searched.. they would find many old threads worthy of resurrecting.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I don't see any problem with "old" threads. Locking threads because they're "old"?! Whaaaa?! Only those with something to hide would suggest such a thing...

And something you may not have thought about: If anon-posts didn't bump threads when they're posted, there would be no way the moderators would know that there's a new anon post. We are only humans, and there's no way we could possibly read 5 million posts every day.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I see nothing wrong with old threads resurfacing. Sometimes they are very interesting - and if they are not, then it is just a couple of waisted seconds.
By the way, if thread is not longer then one page you can read what anonymous guys posted, even before approval, if you press post or reply - even if you are not going to write anything. Hope it is not one of the most deeply guarded secret of ATS.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Apologies for quoting the post above me....

Perhaps rather than locking the thread, they could only allow Anon posters to post on active threads... this way, they could still participate (anons) but it would deter people who should know better from going and posting anon on their own thread.

You raise a good idea.

I think the age of a thread is a moot point, it could still be valid now and rather than start a new thread on an old subject, if people searched.. they would find many old threads worthy of resurrecting.

The age of a thread can come into consideration, if it has no importance too current or recent events, for example, I could revive a thread on the Amityville Murders, It's something that I am very interested in, but, I don't really have anything of importance too add too the discussion, which I have seen doesn't deter some. (Though it may be locked now anyhow
)
Also if I did have some NEW insight into the case, I think it would justify a new thread too be created.

Cheers, Fox.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well, I for one am getting pretty frustrated with that whole mess. I post a lot of new threads here, and not being able to read those Anon posts drives me nuts sometimes in my own threads. The other problem is it may be days or even a week before the Anon post is displayed, or never at all.

As to logging off and bumping my own thread under Anon? You gotta be kidding me. I'd never ever do that. Why? Let a thread live or die based upon its own merit. Lord knows so many of mine have died without even as a much as a response, while others do ok, and a very few do real well.

All in all, I wouldn't mind a bit if they canned the whole Anon posting thing. Make em log in.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I enjoyed reading a thread last night courtesy of an anonymous poster.
From 2006 i believe.Very interesting read.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Commenting as a Mod...

Generally, if we see it is a person with an ATS account we don't normally approve the post.

If it happens usually it's a slip, or we missed the clue it was from a member.

Badge01
Forum Moderator

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It is a shame that people post under anonmyous, Im sure the posts dont make it up because of content but Id love to know what they say. In my own opinion I think its a bit cowardly to post anomyous, Id rather post under my name and take the lashings and even some flaming because maybe I provide some inaccurate evidence and I know for certain that a member may have the correct information. I know its the internet and not the real world but even in cyberspace you will be more credible and respected on this site if your wrong and admit to it...And if me my grand daddy had wheels he be a wagon....(Montgomery Scott)

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Some of the best and well thought out posts I have read have been anonymous.
It would be a shame to lose that.

new topics

top topics

join