It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if their is live outside our solar system ....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
hello people of ATS
i have a rethorical question ive been mulling over in my head.

If one day, we become allies of a race from outside our solar system, is their a chance they may only know as much as we humans do about the universe ?

ive been thinking this as , well, the universe is pretty massive,and the galaxy we live in is also super massive to the universe is tiny.

how dishapointed woudl teh human race be if we met a race from another solar system and it turns out their as clueless as us.

everyone seems to think aliens will be super intelligent and know everything about everything, but lately ive been thinking "what exactly makes us think they will know so much"

i personaly think, their is at least 1 race out their somewhere, far far away, but i dont think that because they manage to find us, or that we can spot them, that they will unlock the secrets of the universe.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

People think that the aliens will be advanced because the odds are that they would have to have figured out a way to travel impossible distances in space to contact us. They would have to be more advanced than we are because we can barely put a man on the moon and we certainly aren't ready for any sort of interstellar travel. Therefore, the aliens would really have to be much more advanced than we are.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
possibly, one coudl also argue that they may have "got lucky" .

if we humans really wanted to, we coudl have probably built something that could easily travel out of our solar system with people in it to discover new worlds - it woudl take them a hell of a long time but im pretty sure it woudl be possible.

for instance, if the worlds space scientists worked together from the 50's to present day, they coudl have built the most amazing ship in orbit and could have sent people way out of our solar system by now, its just we never have.

if aliens were more advance, another argument could be that they would already be here! (and i wont take any prime directive based answers, as thats pure sci fi, and aliens have most likely never seen star trek
)

edit to reply to the post below (posted at the same time)

Given my Luck though our first encounter will be some Hadean Era Plasma entity that eats planets and doesn't eve recognize us as life

i think thats the most likely outcome tbh.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by boaby_phet]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
kind of depends where and when we run into them

in theory, we could bump into them on the way to A centauri just as they leave thier system also.

There could be an aquatic species on Europa that launches a probe to earth the exact same year we send one to Europa for an actual landing...

It could in theory happen that way

The Greys COULD be from an underground society right here in the system somewhere, a moon of a gas giant, anything is possible

and be only 50 years ahead of us, just more motivated because they Know there is life here... before we are aware

but yeah it can happen

Given my Luck though our first encounter will be some Hadean Era Plasma entity that eats planets and doesn't eve recognize us as life

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

Let's say they are in Alpha Centauri, that is still 25.8 trillion miles away.

Our fastest current space probe travels at 11,700 miles per hour ( imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov... ). So it would take us roughly 250,000 years to get there with current tech. I doubt that we would be able to overcome that even if we had started dumping all of our technological resources into space travel back in the 50's.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
dam, when you put it that way thats a dam long way 0.0

i was more just thinking we could have traveled out of our solar system, possibly beyond the kupier belt, who knows whats even just after that!..

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis They would have to be more advanced than we are because we can barely put a man on the moon..

Man too right.!
I would think they were at least advanced enough to remember how they did it..(unlike NASA it seems)
If not,getting home would be a nightmare.

Their navigation skills alone would be immense.

If we could actually come up with the tech to make the trip. I wouldn't guarantee it would be a return ticket.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Dont underestimate how smart humans really are. Perhaps there are more intelligent beings out there. And let's face it... it doesn't take an Einstein to know that "war is bad". We should always "Be Prepared" like boy scouts, but try to work together for the common goal. Genocide is bad, and always will be.
There will always be Good/Bad individuals of every race (alien or not).

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
i personaly think, their is at least 1 race out their somewhere, far far away, but i dont think that because they manage to find us, or that we can spot them, that they will unlock the secrets of the universe.

You could be right. Just because they're able to fly around in space relatively easily doesn't mean they would even understand how they do it. It might be a kind of patterned behavior, like Cro Magnon man being able to make a Clovis Point but never really developing anything better. Or like a bird building a nest. Complicated, but not necessarily a sign of any particular insight. Or they might be a part of a kind of hive mind that has conscious awareness on different layers, but the flying around in space part (the little bees) wouldn't know anything about how the whole universe works.

There's also the notion that they might not perceive the universe like us in any way, and even if they did have the "answer," they might not be able to explain it to us in a way we can comprehend.

Maybe that's what a lot of UFOs are doing right now. Maybe they're a form of communication from a higher or different kind of intelligence and perception, but we're just not built right in our brains to be able to figure it out. Like, "Hey, humans, look! This is how you move sideways through time! Get it?"

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

that sums my feelings un this way better than i was saying

the other thing ive always though is that a race does come from afar, the world leaders will believe what they say and love them for their technology and start believing their science, and they could be even more wrong than us (if we are wrong that is.. thats another topic altogether though)

it would be quite funny / annoying if they coudl only communicate in a way we have absolutely no perception off, and never will, so much so that their is not even a word for it in any language, and no description as we dont know of it. That would be the biggest kick in the stones ever anywhere in the universe.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

There's also the notion that they might not perceive the universe like us in any way, and even if they did have the "answer," they might not be able to explain it to us in a way we can comprehend.

IMO, that is the most probable, let alone possible. I think, if polled, most people on Earth wouldn't have the same belief of the universe, but I'd assume similar.

Maybe that's what a lot of UFOs are doing right now. Maybe they're a form of communication from a higher or different kind of intelligence and perception, but we're just not built right in our brains to be able to figure it out. Like, "Hey, humans, look! This is how you move sideways through time! Get it?"

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Nohup]

Again, very probable. based on my own severely limited knowledge, they wouldn't travel enormous distances to play around in the sky. They may just be flying around, observing us, seeking a greater understanding. They may be trying to show us, like a teacher on a board, ideas and concepts, that words just couldn't describe, afterall, isn't that what maths is? or I may have missed the meaning completely, wouldn't be the first time.

EMM

[edit on 23-9-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
hello people of ATS
i have a rethorical question ive been mulling over in my head.

If one day, we become allies of a race from outside our solar system, is their a chance they may only know as much as we humans do about the universe ?

ive been thinking this as , well, the universe is pretty massive,and the galaxy we live in is also super massive to the universe is tiny.

how dishapointed woudl teh human race be if we met a race from another solar system and it turns out their as clueless as us.

everyone seems to think aliens will be super intelligent and know everything about everything, but lately ive been thinking "what exactly makes us think they will know so much"

I don't know if they would know has much has we do about the Universe. However if they found us first then it's likely they are more tune in understanding how the Universe works and what it is made of. There is a large space between our solar system and the nearest solor system. It would take alot of knowlege about Universe in order to survive the radiation and other things that could kill us, so it could go either way.

top topics

join