It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find way to store nuke waste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Scientists find way to store nuke waste

news.ninemsn.com.au

Professor Zhu said the QUT team had discovered how to create nanofibres, which are millionths of a millimetre in size and can permanently lock away radioactive ions by displacing the existing sodium ions in the fibre.

"We have created ceramic nanofibres which attract and trap radioactive cations (positively charged ions), possibly forever," he said.

"The ceramic material can last a very long time, much longer than the radioactivity of a radioactive ion."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I think this is a big step forward for how nuclear power is perceived, if managed properly it can be a very efficient power source, as most of us know. Now with these nanofibres the waste is able to be stored much more safely and in less space.

news.ninemsn.com.au

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
That's #$(#$ awesome. If that truly works, it can help nuclear power replace coal effectively.

The only thing we have left after that is to transfer to electric cars.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The only problem I see with this is all the talks over the years about Australia storing other countries nuclear waste.

This will make it even more viable..which doesn't sit too comfortably with me.
Fair enough if we had our own nuclear waste as well but we don't (well not enough to have a purpose built facility for anyway).

So does Australia go nuclear??

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I saw on the Science channel one day that they had found a fungus that eats radioactive material and could shorted the time that things are radioactive by something like 60-70%...I hope this along with what I had heard previously can open some of the people up to Nuclear energy...it's safe(r) and clean.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Well this is a brilliant discovery if it is true and they can really make it work.
Imagine pouring that powder into a radioactive lake and it instantly losing its radiation.
I hope they can make this work.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Wow you'd think this would be in the news considering everyone FREAKING out about fukushima etc. I always knew it was just a matter of time until we dealt with the nuclear waste issue in a permanent and safe fashion.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yeah they ship it to japan where they pour it into the ocean.

I love three eyed fish

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

No amount of human effort will ever be able to contain the horrendous crud that nuclear fuels produce. Horrendous crud that does not exist naturally. Men have created the un-natural.

No amount of human effort will contain the crud that nuclear fuels produce. By comparison to nuclear fuels, coal producing CO2 emissions is highly preferable. No matter how much CO2 gets emmitted it does not matter, and here is why. CO2 is not effecting any "global warming" because the "greenhouse effect" does not exist. More atmospheric CO2 does not cause any global warming, because the greenhouse effect does not even exist, except as a pet theory that was proven to be pure superstition. The scientific truth is that due to sunlight, as the atmosphere gets warmer, it naturally contains more higher levels of CO2 and H2O in solution. Then as the sunlight is blocked by clouds, the atmosphere cools down, and as it cools down the CO2 and H2O rain out. Thus the correlation between levels of atmospheric CO2 and temperatures. It is not the CO2 that drives the temperatures. It is the temperatures that drive the levels of CO2. Thus no matter what ever the level of CO2 emissions it certainly is nothing to worry about. In geological era the earths atmosphere contained 2000 times more CO2 than is the case today. Even then the earth continued to experience Ice Ages as regular as clockwork every 100,000 years according to what is called the Milankovich Cycle.

It was predicted that detonation of the first atomic weapon would "ignite the earths upper atmosphere thereby setting the world on fire". No one took the warnings seriously. Since then the USA alone have detonated 250 atmospheric test explosions. Each one of which was greater than the original. We also must include the "operation jellyfish" where in the USA detonated a nuclear weapon in the Van Allan Radiation belt causing a third belt to come into existence now being a thousand times more radioactive than previously. All in all I therefore suggest to you that if there is any "global warming" going on it is most likely as a consequence of man detonating atomic weapons. Point being that just one is enough to get the fire started. Yet they have detonated more than 2053 of the infernal things. With the cold blooded intention of using them in war of course. Is it possible that the "chemtrails" spraying operations are mans feeble effort to prevent this fire that they have created in our sky ? Is it possible that our world is being controlled by human-in-form aliens bent on our destruction ?

2CO2 + 2H2O = 2CH2 + 3O2

CarbonDioxide + Water = Life + Oxygen.

We all know that water is vital to life, but because CarbonDioxide is invisible we seem to be oblivious as to its vital importance ? Without atmospheric CO2 literally all plant life on this planet will die. The more that we put CO2 into the atmosphere then the more the more that our earth will become a garden of amazing beauty. In other words the more that we put CO2 into the atmosphere then the more we will have food to eat.

The same cannot be said as regard to the by products of nuclear fuels. As Chernobyl and Fukushima are now proving. How many more millions must die from the effects of reactor meltdown ? It is a fact that a million have died from the effects of Chernobyl. The effects of Chernobyl go on and on for ever. So already a million have died and in another few years another million will have died ... Now add to that equation the effects of Fukushima ... we are told that Fukushima is already ten times worse than was Chernobyl. Levels of radiation in down town Tokyo district are now ten times worse than the radiation levels with in the exclusion zone of Chernobyl. Chernobyl was nothing by comparison to Fukushima. It is calculated that over the next thirty years as many as 2.8 billion will die because of Fukushima and it will not stop there. The dying will continue on and on and on until all life on this planet is dead. Burying your head in the sand will not make that reality go away.

The law that I live by and which is holding us all bonded is called PRAECEPTAE CAELENIUM (tm). I did not read it in a book. You will not find it in any book. It was revealed to me by audio clairvoyance during the celebrations of the New Millennium in 2000. Summed up it basically means no sex no drugs and no violence. (1) From eternity to eternity, infinity to infinity, there be the one absolute. The One True God. Her names are many but she be the one true God there be no other God. The one judge there be no other judge. (2) La Deus Nostra, Notre Dame, Our Lady, The Holy Spirit, the cause the maker Cosmica. (3) Angelic powers of truth and beauty and righteousness be sure to be loving Her Holiness Above with all your mind and with all your heart and with all your strength. (4) So as to be pleasing to Her Holiness Above therefore do not be serving the masculine. (5) Do not be and do not allow masculinity into positions of government. (6) Honour and respect the virgin pureness of the christae. (7) Honour and respect the Immaculate Conception [parthenogenesis] reproductive process of the christae. (8) Do not fornicate or adulterate or sodomize. (9) Do not bully or torture or murder. (10) Do not lie. (11) Do not steal. (12) Do not be covetous. (13) Do not be jealous. Copyright NGL(c)2000.

He who trusts in violence to be his security cannot speak that he trusts in God to be his security.

Vampires

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 30/4/2012 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

if managed properly

news.ninemsn.com.au

You said "if".
And if not we all die. Radiation kills faster then global warming (or whatever it is called these days).

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I am happy to see something is being done to counter the effects of nuke fallout!!

BUT

We have a huge problem on our hands with Fukishima and Chenobyl so i wish they would get a move on....

new topics

top topics

join