It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taking life for granted ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hey Everyone,

Just been thinking about the Saw films, of which I'm sure your all aware off. Besides the guts & gores, personally I think these films do actually convey a very clever psychological message.

Even though I don't nescessarily agree with the methods that the protagonist use's, I do agree with the message he is trying to instill.

In my oppinion he (Jigsaw) is right, people take things for granted, too much so and sometimes you only realise what you had when you've lost it.

I was wondering what you all thought, how many things in life do you take for granted? And what would it take to make you truly realise what you actually have and what you don't?

Surprisingly enough I have met many disabled people, or people who have had really harsh lifes, however they continue to be happy.

I like the Saw films because to me they strike a chord and maybe I wouldn't go to the extreme as jigsaw but ultimately I understand his view point, that people is this world sometimes don't know when theyre better off.

Your thoughts .....

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Good thought Death_Kron. Seems a bit ironic coming from one with the name and avatar you have LOL. I agree though. My theory on it is as follows.

We have bills to pay, money to make, friends to visit, family to tend to, any number of other things which consume our thoughts, time and energy. We often feel we have no time to stop and smell the roses. It's in moments where we do manage to slow down for a minute, that we can gain the best perspective of our lives and how we fit into the world around us.

Not thinking within yourself and spending time enjoying the things that you enjoy alone, can be just as harmfull as never seeing the world beyond yourself. Either extreme takes away from ones 'greater experiences' in life. As with all things, moderation is the key.

I believe we all must find equal peace within ourselves, and outside ourselves, (ie; our place in overall society). Finding the right balance of the two gives us the greatest clarity.

But even consistant balance can 'numb' us. We are after all, creatures of habit. We take comfort in things that are familiar to us. But such things fail to challenge us enough to avoid becoming numb to them. Therefor it is a constant struggle to keep our eyes truly open and our minds truly sharp. When we get shaken in life, it seems to snap us out of it. Regret to the numbness is typically what follows.

My advice is to simply always be the best person you can be to those people and things that you care most about. Always be greatfull for all you have and generous to those who don't have. As I see it, the best you can do is minimise those moments of regret, and find whatever peace you can in them when they do occure. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the thoughtfull thread. Star and flag for you. Be well.

-Static Sky

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky

Thank you and great answer, one thing I would like EVERYONE to read is this:

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are the vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter, for their will always be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass. Take kindly in the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. You are needed in this world. Do not concern yourself with other worlds, for they do not exist. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding in an ordered manner. Therefore, be at peace with nature and the mysterious process of evolution, whatever you conceive it to be; and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, strive to maintian your own inner peace while you do those things bring you happiness and contribute to the survival of humanity. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Now if that isn't true then I really do not know what is, the above inspires me to a degree in which I have tears in my eyes, because someone, somewhere knew how to live and how to treat each other.

Sadly, theres many people who can't comprehend the above, never mind live it .

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I'm a little suprised this thread has only got my response on it so far. When I first read it, I thought it was a pretty important one to notice. i know it's not a conspiracy or anything but I feel this is important. How can you look beyond yourself for the truth when you can't find it within yourself?

And Death_Kron, can you please provide the link to any of the writings you quoted? It sounds like truly enlightening stuff and I for one, would like to read more. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Static Sky
I'm a little suprised this thread has only got my response on it so far. When I first read it, I thought it was a pretty important one to notice. i know it's not a conspiracy or anything but I feel this is important. How can you look beyond yourself for the truth when you can't find it within yourself?

And Death_Kron, can you please provide the link to any of the writings you quoted? It sounds like truly enlightening stuff and I for one, would like to read more. Thanks.

Well you hit the nail on the head in saying that if someone can't find the truth within themselves then they won't be able to anywhere else.

The writing I posted is called "Desirada" and as far as I know its author is unknown, strangley enough I first spotted in a pub where someone had printed it off and framed it on the wall

I find it truly inspriring, it tells the reader how to look after there self without being soft and giving in to the pressures of life or the people around you.

strider333.blogspot.com...

eqi.org...

It's strange that such an inspiring and thought provoking piece of writing doesn't have much info about it.

new topics

top topics

join