It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object by the moon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Theres what appears to be a star really close to the moon, almost as if it were in a moon orbit, obviously its not, but thats how close it is. I dont have any pictures, sorry... but Im kinda under the impression that its venus, cuz you can see it in the mornings sometimes, and sometimes, its the only star up in the sky.

Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Yeah, i have been observing an extremely bright star in the sky for a couple of months now, it seems to follow the same path as the moon untill around after 10 pm eastern when the moon becomes far away from it.

The star i am speaking of is literally the brightest object in the night sky, sometimes standing out better than airplanes. The problem is it is not the north star as i am facing a slightly south, south west direction in the sky. I thought it was a planet at first untill after about 3-4 months it was still visible and noticibly brighter.

I was going to write a post about this but i am not very knowledgeable with constellations and planet locations and didnt want to seem like i was trying to make it out to be secret space station or nibiru or anything off the wall like that. I am just curious as to what it is because i dont recall seeing this before and havent heard nothing on the news about a visible planet as we usually do when such an event happens.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Wouldnt it be Jupiter?
Im looking at it right now

This was made for me 3 days ago because I too had asked what I was seeing based on me facing south looking at the moon:

[edit on 9/18/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I borrowed my nephews telescope and checked out Jupiter. It was cool, I could see 6-8 of it's moons! Jupiter has been bright all summer. My porch gives me an unobstructed southern view and it's been a cool summer for skywatching.

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail

I borrowed my nephews telescope and checked out Jupiter. It was cool, I could see 6-8 of it's moons! Jupiter has been bright all summer. My porch gives me an unobstructed southern view and it's been a cool summer for skywatching.

Cuhail

Really? Wow, I find that absolutely facinating! I really want to get a telescope!!

Im currently on the central coast of CA with no light polution, so as long as we have no fog....the skies are all lit up with stars/planets!!

I think I will be shopping for a telescope soon!

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
I was going to write a post about this but i am not very knowledgeable with constellations and planet locations and didnt want to seem like i was trying to make it out to be secret space station or nibiru or anything off the wall like that. I am just curious as to what it is because i dont recall seeing this before and havent heard nothing on the news about a visible planet as we usually do when such an event happens.

Boy, I hear ya! I was really hoping people werent gunna be like, its planet x!

Ive been on this website a long time and by now im very tired of the whole planet X crap.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
thats pretty cool that jupiter is so bright nowadays, at first I thought it was that extremely bright object that NASA discovered on an annual supernova survey with the Hubble telescope. The object brightened to the 21st mark or whatever its called over a course of 100 days which the brightest thing ever recorded but it had already faded so I ruled that out. Nice to know it's actually Jupiter.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
So it's JUPITER? Is jupiter by Orion?
I ask because that is the brightest star/planet I have been seeing for a few months now and it's always just under the Orion constellation.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by miguelbmx

You are most likely observing Sirius, the brightest star in the sky. It is located near Orion.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
All in the same plane of the Sun's Equator.

Thanks for that great illustration.

Orion should be out every evening in winter.

Jupiter is bright, like a light bulb in the sky.

I saw bright bulb looking north west and think it was a UFO.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

Wow you were right on,thanks for the help.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by miguelbmx]

top topics

join