It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local companies going bankrupt too

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I am just wondering if there is news of local companies going bankrupt where other people are. I just learnt that a company that has been trading for 38 years in the region i live in has gone bankrupt which has created over 100 job losses, the next news was of 300 job losses for a city council.

Is this kind of news going on everywhere? Ever since the start of the credit crunch things have been bad, but news on this scale occuring daily is crazy and i'm just wondering is there news of local companies going bankrupt and hundreds / thousands of joblosses in every region. What have you heard that is happening in your area. It seems we're in a downwards spiral and things can only get worse. I also noticed the news readers voice shaking tonight.

I live in the UK but am interested to hear about what is happening everywhere.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I live in Vernon BC Canada and the local Glass Plant (Owens Illinois) is shutting down after some 45 years of operation. This shutdown will affect 300 employees and upwards of 600 jobs if you include contractors, trucking companies that deliver sand and other companies that service the plant. This is pretty big for us as Vernon has a population of about 35000 and 75000 if you include the outer lying areas. From what I understand this was the last operating plant in Canada.
There are a few other large US companies pulling out of Vernon as well. Sutherland which I believe operates as eBay is or has already pulled out.
I guess with the US economy the way it is, some of the companies that have operations in other countries are starting to shutdown operations to bring back the business and employment to the US.

Not exactly a company going bankrupt but I believe a sign of the times and probably a taste of what is to come.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This is not confined to New York only, as your topic seems to infer.

Check out Georgia's 2008 layoff list... And this isn't even a complete list. This only shows the massive single layoffs.

As you can see, it's heavyily-tilted toward the manufacturing world, but the tides are turning. Remember, in every major downturn, it's government that steps up to alleviate some of the job losses through hiring. Not in this New World Order.

I still can't believe I'm seeing job layoffs with the City of Atlanta and the GA Technology Authority.

new topics

join