It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will You Be My Friend? Do You Ask?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
My definition of an ATS friend is someone who you enjoy talking to, and if you're lucky, they share a lot of your views.

I have seen posts where one member asks another "Can I add you as a friend?"

Have you ever added a friend without asking first?

What is the proper protocol?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I have on occasion added a friend to my list without asking. Not sure there is any wrong or right way. If someone asked that I drop them I would probably do so.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I have on quite a few occasions discovered, when looking at my profile, that people have added me as their friend. It doesn't concern me, and if I've had some interaction with them I'll usually add them to my friends list. I also find that it often happens through u2u's (private messages). You'll be having a discussion via u2u and then there's that "btw, going to add you as a friend if that's okay."

Now, if someone added me as their FOE and I didn't know why or who they were, I'd be concerned.

But I don't think I can have too many friends.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Oh I didnt realize it was the done thing to ask. If I like someone I tend to just make them my friend. I have been asked twice and thought this was a very nice thing to do, but still dont actually do it myself. I thinks its nice to read down your profile and see that someone has made you their friend, its kind of a nice suprise.

Its the foes that arnt such a nice suprise! And this is announced to you in the form of a U2U! No U2U for a friend though, why is this? The foe U2U is just like adding to the drama of it if you ask me. Then you feel compelled to make them a foe dont you, just so they get a U2U announcing it LOL

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I add people without asking. If I like the person's post and what they are saying I will add them. It's kinda of a way for me to see what they are talking about as well. Kinda like a favorite list...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I usually will send a courtesy U2U asking someone if it's ok with them.

Sometimes they leave me hanging, but that's OK.

[edit on 9/16/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I add people based on how much I enjoy reading their posts and how much I tend to agree with them. But I dont have to always agree with them to add them. Another reason I add them, is because some people I look out for their posts and sometimes will look at their post history to see whats up
and its an easy way to shoot someone a U2U.

I never tell people or ask them if I can add them. I just do it.

And to the OP....I added you looong time ago, but I never told you or asked you

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacSen191
I add people without asking. If I like the person's post and what they are saying I will add them. It's kinda of a way for me to see what they are talking about as well. Kinda like a favorite list...

Thanks for the nice suprise! I have made you my friend.

MG

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I didn't ask you if you minded Jsobecky. Now I hope you didn't mind...

I don't have a lot of interaction here. I'm mostly relegated to "star dealer". There are lots of great threads but whenever I see the same folks say exactly what I was going to say, before I get to, I'll take the next step after stars. I tag you friend.

There are tons of people here I disagree with. But I with-hold foe status unless I actually respect the poster.

So usually stars for agreement- then after you beat me to the punch a lot, I make you friend. No big deal I don't think. But it does add an edge of interest...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Friendly Musical Contribution:

Robert Owens - I'll Be Your Friend

Original Mix:

Remix:

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Storm_Indigochild]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think I asked the first few people I ever added..but not now. I just do it.
GEL pretty much summed up my feelings as well.
As for those that added me, the same thing....I think I have about 80-100 that picked me..and only a handful ever asked my permission to do so. Not that I mind..it's not a requirement.
I guess they just enjoy reading my posts and that's cool.
The proper protocol would probably vary depending on the member. Some may want you to ask first.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
several people have "friended" me without asking. I've never been asked. I'd think it's fine to add without asking. Would you ask someone if you could "foe" them? Ofcourse not.

I'm not sure it has any meaning anyway.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
There, you are now on my friend list.

Or as Ben Hur put it: "I see no enemy here".
Point well taken - even those I dont agree with are not 'enemies'.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.

I will add: It would be nice if there was a U2U sent automatically letting you know a friend has been added...or rather someone has added you. (They do it for the foe...why not the other way around, I dont know.)

reply to post by jsobecky

[edit on 16-9-2008 by dAlen]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I don't know if there's a protocol, but I have added most of mine without asking.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
yeah....i just add em

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I add friends without asking. It is also funny to note that I nearly always meet the same people on any given thread that I frequent. Just like this one

[edit on 16/9/08 by Lebowski achiever]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Despite our vastly differing views on some subjects, and our many (sometimes heated) debates, I added you because I have respect for your views, and the way you present them, as well as you passionate patriotism.

I remember sending a quick u2u telling you I had added you, and was pleasantly surprised by the response.

I don't think someone has to be a "friend" as such, but respect should be paramount.

Just my tuppence worth.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
To those who have added me...thank you very much. I am honored to have you as a friend, and I usually add those people as my own friend. No need to ask, imo!

As for foes, I try to look at it this way: at least I'm being noticed!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Most people just add friends without asking. I think either way is fine.

One thing that I find annoying is that an auto U2U is generated if someone adds you as a FOE but not as a friend. I would much rather have it be the opposite, who wants a U2U saying someone dislikes you?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

I totally agree Sonya, and great idea for ATS....I could care less who adds me as a foe
I would much rather know too, who adds me as a friend!

I also add people I like, who are interested in the same threads as I am, without asking, or who I think argue convincingly against topics I am interested in. If they notice and reciprocate, great, if not, I still like to check on them and see if they've made any new threads or posts that I would enjoy participating in

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join