It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Music!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
www.last.fm...

Free remixes and original tracks, various styles of dance music, house, drum and bass, chill out etc

Enjoy

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Uh...no.
Last.FM operates within tight variables of the respected labels that supply the site with information. They do not give out FREE MUSIC. They give out samples of about 0:30, and most tracks that are full are poor in quality. The tracks that are full require a membership, and you can not download them, as it is illegal.

I made a thread relating to last.fm that's likely further down in the music forum here, highlighting what it really is. It is not a music download website, it is a music social networking site which accumulates statistics and information based on it's members. This information is used in cumulatives for charts, including Billboards. It also acts as a music wiki website, and gallery.

So, sorry, no free music.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

Sorry to disagree but all the tracks on my last.fm page are FREE DOWNLOAD, I decide if you get a 30 sec sample or not. I do not claim any royalties.

"the tracks that are full require a membership, and you can not download them, as it is illegal."

You are totally incorrect.

take this page for example

www.last.fm...

it says FREE DOWNLOAD in the middle of the page, no login, or membership required.
It would of been nice if you had actually checked instead of relying on past experience.

As for the legality of remixing someone elses lyrics, which are freely avaliable, and making the song a free download, get over it!!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

"It is not a music download website, it is a music social networking site which accumulates statistics and information based on it's members. This information is used in cumulatives for charts"

and what is wrong with that? It gives artists who would not otherwise get airtime an equal running in the online charts.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
LAST.FM TERMS OF USE:

You agree that you may not download, reproduce, modify, display, perform, transfer, distribute or otherwise use the Last.fm Materials, except as provided under these Terms and Conditions, and you agree to take all reasonable steps to prevent the unauthorised use of the Last.fm Materials.

Do not get immature with me.
While some downloads are legal, it's not recommended, and you're completely missing the point of such sentiments. A lot of ATSers have been on last.fm since Audioscrobbler.

Most of the provided downloads are given until they are signed, in which case they are then no longer considered legal, the ones that remain on the site are done so because the artist has issued a grant. That's how it works. It's not a site where you can just go and get any track you want for free like you're making it sound, in true the quantity of mp3s on the site is very limited. I know as an artist, and the co-owner of a label that the reason that we've kept off last.fm is because of concerns of copyright infringement, and in fact a lot do.

Please talk like someone more mature in reply to this matter.

it says FREE DOWNLOAD in the middle of the page, no login, or membership required.
It would of been nice if you had actually checked instead of relying on past experience.

Past experience? No, I just know what their terms and conditions are, and how the RIAA does things, and what you are saying and taking it for is not legit.

As for the legality of remixing someone elses lyrics, which are freely avaliable, and making the song a free download, get over it!!

It is illegal to reproduce a remix of ANY track, or use a piece of ANY track excluding WORDS. PERIOD. And redistribute it, unless you have permission from the artist, or the artist is comfortably aware.

Examples:
Coldplay - Viva La Vida [Mike Koglin's Bootleg Remix]
Nitromethane - Religion
Linkin Park - Shadow of the Day [Abbott & Chambers Bootleg Remix]

If you'd like to argue further about that, I can quote the RIAA's policy on copyrighted works.

and what is wrong with that? It gives artists who would not otherwise get airtime an equal running in the online charts.

Who said there was anything wrong with it? I never made that accusition.

Someone had too many cornflakes for breakfast this morning.

[edit on 16.9.2008 by Shugo]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

"It's not a site where you can just go and get any track you want for free like you're making it sound"

No I was saying my tracks are free, I was not implying that all tracks are.
And some tracks are original, not remixes or mashups.

"It is illegal to reproduce a remix of ANY track, or use a piece of ANY track excluding WORDS. PERIOD. And redistribute it, unless you have permission from the artist, or the artist is comfortably aware."

yea i know this, I've been to school thanks, why are acapellas released on the internet as soon as a new track comes out? Example Timberlands way I are. Studio vocal not some crap vocal extraction. I think the illegal remixes actually help promote the original track, at no extra cost to the record company, everybody wins.

If any artist wanted my tracks removed they would be gone, I am a drop in the ocean of the insestious world that is the music industry.

Mabie you should get with the times and release music for free.

I'm rather sorry I even offered some music for bts now

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The times are MP3 downloads, but since I don't release music to members of the public and only to DJ's, that's not really my interest or concern.

"Get with the times." Ha!

Cheers for the laugh mate.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

It should be a concern when the likes of Coldplay are releasing tracks for free, how to you expect to compete or gain a following when you are just in it to make a buck like the last guy?

Making music should be for the love of not for the cash.

I sincerely wish you all the best.

top topics

join