It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin 'Stunned' By Western Propaganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Putin 'Stunned' By Western Propaganda

www.kommersant.com

A foreign participant of Valdai International Debating Club asked the RF prime minister, why Russia’s troops that moved to South Ossetia acted in such a way towards Georgia.

“Your question doesn’t surprise me. I’m surprised by quite another thing – how powerful the propaganda machine of the West actually is. It is stunning, astonishing. This is out of all notch, but it is in it nevertheless,” Putin answered.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
While I most certainly would agree with him that the Western media and gov is unsurpassed in terms of doling out endless and widespread propaganda, from what I've seen, the Russian press isn't exactly "free" to report what it wants either.

But the gist of what he's saying here appears to be spot on. Dubby and Insaney, with their sock-puppet MSM have spun a giant fairy-tale painting the Russians as the bad-guys, when we know who the REAL instigaters are...

Putin reiterated that Russia’s response to Georgia’s assault on South Ossetia was adequate, as Georgia used heavy artillery against peaceful civilians.

“You’d like us to swing a penknife there? What’s the adequate application of force when the tanks and heavy artillery are used against us? Should we have catapulted? The thing to be expected was they would get the snout smashed good and proper,” the prime minister was explicitly emphatic.

www.kommersant.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The Russian news arent allowed to report on everything that happens. The US news is designed to make people think a certain way.

So both of them really wants to influence what people know and think, just in different ways. Not sure which is best - lies or silence?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
my opinion

Well the media throughout history has been producing propaganda for some regime or republic or whatever for some time now and I don't really pay attention to all that jazz.

I figure you can watch the news without getting all up in arms and take the basic facts of whatever is happening wherever it may be happening.

my personal opinion

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Miishgoos

yes, but ...
you can't just watch one program and figure you can spot the facts amidst the fiction. you have to look at a hell of a wide variety of sources in order to make some sort of semblance of what the reality is. Usually its confusing and muddy and rarely ever black and white.
a lot depends on your/ one's perspective and rightly so. I think its helpful just to know the other guys perspective, if nothing else, and then accept that we/he they may see things differently.
Unfortunately, too many accept as gospel the word from their local pulpit/newspaper/tv program without question.
that is why the current u.s. admin. has gotten away with so much with barely a whimper of protest. I just don't understand why most people don't understand this, or don't care about why or how someone else may have a different, but legitimate perspective.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I agree with Putin in this case. I'm stunned too from the behaviour I've seen by western media after Georgia attacked Tskhinvali. Was this propaganda machine in place on 911 too? Probably. I've always had a suspicion, and I've always known that the media is biased. But this...? I'm stunned! And I'm also stunned by how many actually believe these lies. These events have really changed the way I look at mainstream media. And NATO. I hope the truth won't be buried forever, and that the guilty one day will be punished for their crimes.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
How is this not a case of Russia just reclaiming its old territory? South Ossetia was part of Georgia, but the Russians have taken it back, "for its own good."

Oh yeah, and blown the hell out of Georgia's ports and oil infrastructure, so they can no longer export petroleum to Europe.

Just like Germany "protecting" Silesia, or the US and EU creating the artificial state of Kosovo, out of another state's property.

It's all empire building, and a sign that Russia is less worried about what "the world" thinks of them.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
or the US and EU creating the artificial state of Kosovo, out of another state's property.

And therein lies the hypocrisy of the West.

Serbia tries to cleanse a province of "subversive forces", namely the KLA, which let's be honest, were a bunch of thugs, crooks and criminals. Serbians got attacked long before the media picked up on the plight of the Albanians.

NATO bashes Serbia and "creates" Kosovo, which has been Serbian since medieval times.

NATO gets away with it.

Georgia tries to cleanse a province of "subversive forces", which have had de-facto independence for 15+ years, have held a referendum on independence and rejoining Russia and have elected a Government.

Russia bashes Georgia over SO, which was originally Russian 'till Stalin (a Georgian) gave the territory to Georgia in the 1920's.

Russia gets made to look like the evil empire again....

Regardless of who started what in SO, can you not see that between the two examples there is some blatant "pot calling the kettle black" going on?

EDIT: Spelling

[edit on 13/9/08 by stumason]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Your right, this has caused a good friendship of mine to go sour, because my friend believes everything the TV news tells him, Bush can do no wrong in his eyes. Yeeeesh

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Yes, I can see that. 's why I brought it up.

I tihnk there's a further parallel, if you want to follow it. In both Kosovo and South Ossetia, the Largest Belligerant is using someone else's victimization as a pretext for expansion.

I think it presages more expansionism in both arenas.

And that is why its so amusing that Putin, the one-time KGB chief, is "surprised" by Western Propaganda.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Irrespective of the circumstances, having Putin make such an assertion to the MSM is disingenuous at best (and ironic, if you ask me.)

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Putin is not surprised. He is just acting surprised to the sake of journalistic impact. He knows what is going on well enough, and many Russians have a clue as well. It was only a matter of time before the Western media had to take a biased stand.

join