It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America a Warlike Society?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I wonder...

Where the elections are largely determined by the size of a candidates 'warchest' and the effectiveness of their 'attack ads'.

Where certain special states become 'battlegrounds' to determine which candidate will be most likely to 'secure a foothold' on the White House.

I just listen to CNN and wonder why people are surprised that we are engaged in some kind of military conflict at any given time.

If you have noticed any other "political warwords" that I haven't, let me know. I'd like to make a list and take issue with someone. Won't someone think of the children?

DeltaChaos

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
You have to understand that in this is capitalism.

Every man for himself, make your own destiny. We all fight to be better than the next man, drive a better car, own a bigger house, have the newest cell phones.

This is not only fostered now in the media and ads, but they have teams of shrinks to tell companies how to get things to "stick in our heads" or "impress the need" to have such a product.

One obvious (and poorly done) example of this is the infomertial. Everyone who does things without said product, is inept in almost every capcity, cast in a more dull and blue lighting (sad or unhappy).

Other commertial "campaigns" are more effective.

To say this has not had some effect on our social beliefs is untrue.

Everything is a battle. From school to jobs and everything in between.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Are we a warlike society? I wouldn't say that per se, but I would say that we are not ones to back into a corner and can be dogged once someone gets in our sights. The nation was born of a struggle, had an internal struggle, was involved in two international struggles and several regional fights that were part of a larger picture of a struggle (the Cold War). We are good people, hard workers and a bit on the competitive side, but we are also very giving and sharing as is evidenced by the large sums in privates donations to causes around the world, not to mention our international assistance through our government.

So, no, I'd say we aren't a warlike society.

Neurotic, sure. Not warlike. I've often thought Prozac in the water supply might be a pretty good idea!

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Neurotic, sure. Not warlike. I've often thought Prozac in the water supply might be a pretty good idea!

Yeah, that's more like it. But then, we already do have prozac in the water...

DC

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Well, I'll be. I'd better drink less beer and more water!

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I dont think we are warlike, I think we just don't tolerate being pushed around or "threatened" (like with those WMD's... ha)

Our culture values athletes far more than they value our Military if you compare the pay scales. A fact which sickens me.

If anything America has been de-sensitised to war, the current living generations have not had to live their lives under anything but an extremely potent Military, so they take it for granted. People are too focused on themselves. When I think warlike society, I think Feudal Japan.

-Durandal

top topics

join