It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

truly disgusting!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Ok heres one story that really did just about make me puke!! I used to live in Tulsa Oklahoma and really enjoyed it...not too big not too small, just the right size and growing on an almost daily basis. Great lil city..however If you would ever have told me that a case like this were to happen IN Tulsa at all I wouldve scoffed at you....but alas here it is..the ugly truth that no matter where you live...EVIL, VILE acts can occur..I cant imagine what the heck would make anyone do this...much less video tape it ( No video atached, thank god!)..and the poor animals...I think they should be put down just as a precaution, I mean what they had been taught is abominable and not safe for females at all,especially considering the size of the animals. read at your own peril..its just a small news snippet but it gets the point across.

Dogs not to be put down in Disgusting case

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Not to make light of your opinion, but why are only animals we like treated with rights?

Sheriff's Capt. John Bowman says the dogs will not be euthanized because of their status as victims in the alleged crime.

What logic defines that if you mistreat a dog it becomes and issue of animal rights, but if you step on a snake, no one usually would say a thing?

I just would like the legal clarification of this apparent hypocrisy.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
Not to make light of your opinion, but why are only animals we like treated with rights?

Sheriff's Capt. John Bowman says the dogs will not be euthanized because of their status as victims in the alleged crime.

What logic defines that if you mistreat a dog it becomes and issue of animal rights, but if you step on a snake, no one usually would say a thing?

I just would like the legal clarification of this apparent hypocrisy.

Dogs and most warm blooded animals (except rats and mice) are protected under the Animal Welfare Act. Cold blooded animals like reptiles and amphibians are not. Hope this answers your question.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The dogs should be euthanized as a precaution against what? What was done with these dogs is indeed disgusting, but I think that the veterinarians and animal behavior professionals who've had the chance to evaluate them have the experience and knowledge to determine whether these animals can be rehabilitated. They've been neutered and are now in the care of one of the largest animal rescue organizations in the country.

A small FYI here: Most people who really are dedicated to animal rights and/or animal welfare don't simply reserve their respect and compassion for pets and other "fuzzy wuzzies". Snakes need protection, too. So do sharks and praying mantises.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat

Dogs and most warm blooded animals (except rats and mice) are protected under the Animal Welfare Act. Cold blooded animals like reptiles and amphibians are not. Hope this answers your question.

That only told me which animals are protected. Now can anyone tell me why only the animals we like have 'rights'. Why is it a dog's life is worth more than the life of a mouse or gerbil? Do not they both 'feel' and experience life equally?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

Originally posted by testrat

That only told me which animals are protected. Now can anyone tell me why only the animals we like have 'rights'. Why is it a dog's life is worth more than the life of a mouse or gerbil? Do not they both 'feel' and experience life equally?

Because the 'Law' was written by lawyers and politicians, not by scientists. They had no idea how to classify animals. The law states that rodents are not protected. But rodents only applies to rats and mice. Somthing like a guinea pig and gerbil which are rodents are protected. Its confusing, I didn't write it.

The Animal Welfare Act came about after Life Magazine ran a cover story about the abuse of dogs in research back in the 60s. The public went nuts over this article, and demanded that the government set regulations. Thus. the Animal Welfare Act.

What it really comes down to is that the public could care less about rats, mice, snakes, or anything that is not covered in the Act. I agree all animals should be treated equal, but the general public will say that rats, mice, etc are nuisance animals.

new topics

top topics

join