It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiral-Hydro pumps for water turbines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I came across two excellent low-tech hydro-power sites that use a slow-moving body of water to create the high-pressures needed to drive a small water-turbine for electrical power

The Spiral Pump: A high head, slow turning water pump

wildwaterpower.com

Whilst the mathematics of the fluid dynamics seems boggling, the principle and construction seems amazingly simple and effective

The idea is that as the slow moving blades of the waterwheel rotate from the force of the moving body of water the wheel is immersed in. Water is scooped into a funnel on the outer spiral and rotated inwardly as the wheel revolves, forcing a given volume of water and air to be compressed as the circumference of each tube-roration reduces, so acting as a compressor

This particular design enables the paddlewheel unit to float on the surface of the water so making it safe to use on seasonally-variable flow watercourses and delivers a jet of water at the output point of 45psi which would make it ideal to spin-up a small Pelton or other turbine wheel attached to an alternator

The beauty of the design is that it doesn't require damming of the water-course, is marine-life friendly, and is simple in terms of construction, having very few 'failable' parts with the exception of the rotating pressure-coupling needed to draw off the compressed water for pumping to a storage pond over a distance or for direct turbine power

[edit on 9-9-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I will say that I am notorious for not giving a star and/or flag very often. I tend to hold them as an "applause" or WATS vote of sorts. The quality of information was well enough to replicate a build and involved an area that I had not fully considered for exploration into the alt energy applications othr than the old standard of a water wheel for turning a belt driven system on a large to small ratio for higher RPMs.

Cycling a steady 45psi to turn a generator is quite a bit of power when you consider that most air powred tools such as a drill or ratchet opperate in the 30-60psi range depending on the tool.

Definate posibilities there and thank you again for sharing.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Excellent post, excellent links and excellent images!

Astar and flag for you, and well earned!

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for for a long while.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is a pretty cool thread. There really is nothing new under the sun.

Not to detract from these guys who are doing this work, but are you guys aware that this "technology" is several thousand years old?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot but are you guys aware that this "technology" is several thousand years old?

Tried and tested and patent free then.

I can see that Cit. Smith is going to be Chief engineer in a post apocalyptic scenario.

Maybe civilisation wouldn't be in such a pickle with oil and the economy with the good ole methods of engineering.Next time round..possibly!.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Too right I want my 'Chief Engineer's' Cubs badge T!

I'm looking into building a hydro power design using this simple compression-principle to spin-up a home-built alternator based on the Scoraig-designed wind turbine model of permanent-magnet alty...keep yer fingers crossed for a tinkering success this time...I have access to a private watercourse (well, under consideration at the moment anyway) and materials on order, so may Poseidon bless me

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
A ten gun salute followed by stars and flags all round mate!

I can see you haven't wasted time locating a base of ops for your Watertron!
Well done Cit.

new topics

top topics

join